GWA-4164B on an HP Firmware Update

I’m having problems with an Lg drive GWA-4164B in an HP computer - I don’t seem to be able to write to certain Rw media, so I’m trying to update the firmware.

After reading This Thread

I gather that the best place to acquire the firmware is the HP website, However when I search for the appropriate firmware:-

Search Results

I’m presented with many options none of which seem to have the exact pretext Letters and numbers. Can anyone tell me if any of these firmwares are suitable for my HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B

ie, is the » DVD-RW 16X HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GCA-4164B very different from the HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B or the HLDS GWA-4164B. What exactly do these letters mean? Presumably I need to make sure the actual drive letters are correct, but is the GCA, or the HLDS important?

Much Thanks.

Hi, - If you want to go by the book, then check the current firmware version of the drive first (a combination of 4 letters/numbers) and then search for a newer version in the same series from HP.

If you don’t need to worry about voiding any warranty, you can go to The Dangerous Brothers’ site and probably find a crossflashable retail LG/Hitachi version for the 4164B, which will likely be more up-to-date than anything HP has on offer.

You need HP OEM firmware. Find out the current fw, then search for an update that fits to it.

I’m currently on firmware v1.01 - There are no updates on the HP website, a couple that are very close - just one or two letters different hence my asking what exactly the letters mean.

Dangerous Brothers list two updates a [U]1.05 and a 1.10[/U] but they don’t detail exactly the improvements made, any idea where I can get this information?
There is no warranty to worry about and new drives available for £20 it wouldn’t be a complete disaster if everything did go kaput, even so if I’m not really going to gain much or anything that interests me then there is not much point.

Much Thanks.

Looks like 1.05 is for you, if you want to stay in the same series (the other one is 1.[B]I[/B]0). Here’s another link if you don’t wish to use the hacked RPC1 version from TDB: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/FIRMWARE/LG/LG-GWA-4164B-105.shtml