Guys can you help me out with 112D/L

vbimport

I should probably know thw answer to this but I don’t. I have 112L 8.25 is there a firmware upgrade for the 112L buffalo?? is it A12J? OR HAS BUFFALO NOT COME OUT WITH THE UPDATE YET?? If I want the update do I have to flash with the pioneer firmware instead? I’m sorry about the caps lock it got stuck on

joe

Hi,

seems there is no Buffalo firmware yet. My personal guess: if they release an update, it will be out approx 3-4 weeks after the Pioneer firmware.

So if you want the newer firmware right now, you have to “crossflash” to stock Pioneer 1.24 or something like that.

According to the description, Pioneer fixed some DVD-RAM formatting issue on Vista. If that’s all, then there is no urgent need to update unless you really suffer from this particular issue.

I personally will stick with 8.25 and can wait for the Buffalo release :slight_smile:

Michael

Thanks a lot

Yeah I will wait too I wonder if it will be 8.28 or 8.29??

You can still patch the A12J 1.28 through MSCE and go that route, but you’ll need to flash in the A12J (A12L) firmware from TDB first.

Yes I know Thank you

I know the general consesus is that the buffalo 112 firmware burns slightly better than the official. How do you feel about it?? I personally like the buffalo because it bitsets +R SL without modify but what do you think about the first of this question?

If Buffalo were strictly a Pioneer rebadger, then I can see how its firmware could be “better” than the rest. However, since Buffalo rebadges other brands, I don’t see how adding +R booktype support will make it any better than patching the official. Before MSCE days, the only way to booktype +R media was by using the Buffalo firmware, thus, many people have used it. Now that MSCE is available, yet many people probably aren’t willing to go through the trouble of patching and reflashing to make it “Buffalo”-like, and rather wait for a Buffalo.

I find that patching the official and reflashing doesn’t make a difference in my burner. Of course, yours may differ. And to your first question, no, there hasn’t been a sighting of a Buffalo firmware based on the latest releases.

Whats wrong with the 8.25 FW or do you just want to upgrade just to upgrade ?

Oh you called it Jim I am an upgrade freak I like the sound of the new firmware burning onto the chip :bigsmile:

@ KTL Well it does seem to me that with an mcse patch that I have ran into an unexplainable problem before like the -Rom not working before but that was also in my beginning days when I was green so I haven’t experienced a problem like this now & I seriously appreciate the work of others (Liggy/ALA 42) for creating these very needed tools for us for free on their own time.

I guess the only complaint I have as of recent with MSCE is the strat swapping being a little flaky “Sometimes” like with DVR R9

but this could be a problem of the drive or the firmware not “Liking” the change rather than an MCSE problem.

I’m sure the firmware developers have spent a good amount of time making sure the strategies for the different media are sufficient enough for a decent burn. Pioneer has always done a great job supporting both quality and cheap media. While firmware swapping is a novel idea, but it is never a guaranteed success, more likely so with dual layer discs.

@ jcusimano2,

Using known proven quality error free Media in Pioneer DVD Drives negates any necessity in resorting to Media write strategy changes.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=bjkg;2164443]Using known proven quality error free Media in Pioneer DVD Drives negates any necessity in resorting to Media write strategy changes.[/QUOTE]

Ridiculous. Then most CDFreaks would have nothing to waste their time on. How dare you speak such reasoned logic in this forum! :bigsmile:

@ BJKG
I’m with you the only cheap media that ever touches my burners is if I am doing cd speed tests but never for backups

Byt as far as DL is concerned I always go with Verb DL 00x. I can keep reusing the  $10.00 off $20.00 @ my OM so I once a month get a 20 pack for $17.99. So in my situation I won't save any money buying cheap DL media

The only strat swap I have active as of now is MKM002 (Yes 002) for MKM001 on 7200 so I get an 8x burn on my 7200. I don’t swap it though I change the actual name so both are still active so mkm001 is mkm002 & mkm002 is mkm001

because a straight swap dopesn’t work correctly every time & this way it does

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;2156271]I should probably know thw answer to this but I don’t. I have 112L 8.25 is there a firmware upgrade for the 112L buffalo?? is it A12J? OR HAS BUFFALO NOT COME OUT WITH THE UPDATE YET?? If I want the update do I have to flash with the pioneer firmware instead? I’m sorry about the caps lock it got stuck on

joe[/QUOTE]

Clearly, 8.xx firmware is Buffalo firmware.

[quote=bjkg;2164443]@ jcusimano2,

Using known proven quality error free Media in Pioneer DVD Drives negates any necessity in resorting to Media write strategy changes.[/quote] Unfortunately, this isn’t always true.

Pioneer drives sometimes have problems around 0.4 - 0.5 G with some write strategies, causing sudden extreme spikes in jitter and PIE/PIF. This can vary from individual drive to individual drive. For some media codes and drives this happens only some of the time and for others it happens always.

For my main Pioneer DVR-112(L) I’ve had to use MXL RG03 write strategy for my premium MXL RG04 media, to avoid such an ugly spike happening roughly half the time.

I’ve also had similar problems with other premium media with my Pioneer 111 series drives.

I have the scans to prove it if necessary.

I don’t mess around with write strategy swaps unless I think it’s necessary, but for my Pioneer 111/112 drives I’ve had to do this.