Guidelines

Are there any guidelines to buy new DVD blank media?

According to my recent research, many manufacturers do not make their own discs. How can we tell, it is impossible to scan the disc in the store? Should I go for brand name products? Or, should I just go from something on sales?

For instance, there are selling the Philips 100 spindle of 16x DVD+R in FutureShop for $28.

Look at the cakebox form and the country of origin. They can give you a hint on the manufacturer.
I’ll post some cakebox photos later on.

In addition to that here are my generic tips to buying media when you know next to nothing about discs :

[list=a]
[li]Never buy in large amounts (50 or 100pcs) unless you know for SURE that your writer will burns those discs nicely. Resist the temptation to buy in large amounts just because they are cheaper. Being left with 100 discs that your writer cannot burn is not a good way to save money.
[/li]
Try a smaller amount of the same stuff first (10 or 25pcs), even if those are more expensive, to see how well your writer burns them.
[li]Avoid brand names that start with “Ri” (apart from Ricoh), “Data”, “Mem” etc.
[/li][li]If the brand name sounds too much like it is trying to convince you that it is good stuff, that the discs are indestructible, or that buying them is a good idea, it probably isn’t. e.g. brand names like “quality”, “excellent”, “super” (with the exception of the “Super Azo” seen on Verbatim packaging), “smart” (not to be confused with SmartBuy, which is Prodisc’s own house brand), “tough” etc. Decent quality media does not need to convince customers how good they are with a brand name of that sort. Their reputation precedes them.
[/li][li]Avoid any discs that mention “AAA grade media” or “AA grade media”. Decent quality media manufacturers don’t mention such things on packaging. The only ones who do are charlatans. Besides, “AAA grade” is the sort of thing you look out for when buying eggs or mattresses, not discs.
[/li][li]Just because 16x rated discs are the fastest rated discs around, it doesn’t make necessarily them better than 8x rated discs. Most 16x writers can handle 8x media very nicely now seeing as they have been around for a long time and writer manufacturers have got support for most types of 8x media sorted out. Newer writers are ok with 16x media but sometimes 8x media can be a bargain because shops think they are outdated stuff and try to sell them off cheaply.
[/li][/list]

I have now started a thread about cakeboxes. You might tell or at least guess the manufacturer from the characteristics of the cakebox.

Happy guessing :slight_smile: