Guidelines for error-free burning

Hi i currently own a Samsung SH-S202J.
Software that i use is Nero.
My OS is windows Vista Ultimate.

My question is how do i reduce the amount of errors when i burn a DVD? I burn quite a lot of data DVDs. I have about 95% success rate when it comes to DVD5s but my success rate is significantly lower when it comes to DVD9s…i’d say somewhere in the ballpark of 60%.

I always use the feature verify disk when finished burning.
I never use the machine when i am burning a disk.
I buy decent mid-range DVD’s such as Fuji Film, Maxell, and Ridata.
I don’t have any other open applications running.
I burn at the lowest speeds usually 2.4x - 4x, depending on the media.
I am running the latest Firmware version SB-02

Is there anything i can do to increase my success rate when burning DVD9s? They are quite expensive and i would really like to know if there is anything else that i am missing that i can do? Should i change to another software? The drive that i am using is brand new and replaces another Samsung model from one year ago. With the old drive my success rate was the roughly the same. I’d be happy if i had a success rate of 90%.

Thanks.

Hi pygo and welcome:

Regarding Nero verification, please look at the following link, especially, debro’s post which I will paste here.

Nero’s verification is about as reliable as passing money to a crack addict on their first day of rehab.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f48/nero-data-verification-reliable-187028/

When it comes to DVD9 (DL), the only consitently recommended media is Verbatim. Any other media is a waste of time (strong language but it’s based on the experience of many long-time users).

I go with [B]jeff[/B] on both counts.
Verbatim, if possible made in Singapore, for DVD/DL and ImgBurn for burning them.

Thanks for the input fellas…will definitely try Verbatim. I also noticed that there is a direct correlation between bad burns and the size of the file. I think that errors are much more apt to happen when the file size is near the limit of disk capacity…i guess burning ‘to the edge’ is not a good thing.

‘as reliable as passing money to a crack addict on their first day of rehab’ i like that one…

[QUOTE=pygo;2213608]Thanks for the input fellas…will definitely try Verbatim. I also noticed that there is a direct correlation between bad burns and the size of the file. I think that errors are much more apt to happen when the file size is near the limit of disk capacity…i guess burning ‘to the edge’ is not a good thing.

‘as reliable as passing money to a crack addict on their first day of rehab’ i like that one…[/QUOTE]

Burning to the edge is only a problem in certain circumstances (poor media, a poor drive or a drive that just isn’t supporting good media well). Burning to the edge shouldn’t be a problem with a good combination of drive and media that play well together.
I’ll vote for verbatim too. Its the only good dual layer (dvd-9) media made.