Guide to crossflash iHAS124 C?

vbimport

Good afternoon fellow, excuse my English, I have a 124c ihas if anything I can serve you, and please rides a tutorial on how to make crossflashing.

Greetings from Colombia!

i dont follow you, can you try rephrasing? or try google translator?

Please upload a tutorial on how to make crossflashing?

What drive do you have that you are trying to crossflash?

[QUOTE=zak7;2699014]What drive do you have that you are trying to crossflash?[/QUOTE]Don’t worry about that. Just post a guide. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2699015]Don’t worry about that. Just post a guide. :p[/QUOTE]

Silly me, i’ll get right on it! :bow:

<3

[QUOTE=zak7;2699014]What drive do you have that you are trying to crossflash?[/QUOTE]

I have a 124C IHAS

[QUOTE=joan_944;2699018]I have a 124C IHAS[/QUOTE]

I dont get this, your trying to crossflash an 124C iHAS drive to a 124C iHAS drive? Crossflashing means putting the iHAS 124-04C firmware onto a drive that is the same hardware with a different firmware type, such as an OEM firmware from HP or DELL or something, if you have a 124C iHAS drive, there is no crossflashing to be done…

So let me ask the question one more time before i just give up on trying to figure you out…

What is the drive you are trying to put the iHAS124-04C firmware on…What firmware is currently on it and what model is the drive.

[QUOTE=zak7;2699019]I dont get this, your trying to crossflash an 124C iHAS drive to a 124C iHAS drive? Crossflashing means putting the iHAS 124-04C firmware onto a drive that is the same hardware with a different firmware type, such as an OEM firmware from HP or DELL or something, if you have a 124C iHAS drive, there is no crossflashing to be done…

So let me ask the question one more time before i just give up on trying to figure you out…

What is the drive you are trying to put the iHAS124-04C firmware on…What firmware is currently on it and what model is the drive.[/QUOTE]

ihas124c firmware to a 324C! .Or can not?

If you already have liteon 124-04C firmware on the drive, you will have no benefit by changing to 324C, the only difference is that 324C hardware is capable of features your 124C is not, flashing 324 will not give you the benefit of the additional features. The only difference you will see is that your device will claim its a 324, not a 124.

This is pointless to do. However it is your drive, if you want to do this, there are tutorials and walkthroughs already written on this board…try searching.

I don’t feel like writing you a tutorial for something i see as pointless when you could easily search and find the same information…

The 324 C supports SmartErase feature while 124 C doesn’t

[QUOTE=anywhere;2699031]The 324 C supports SmartErase feature while 124 C doesn’t[/QUOTE]

yep, which means flashing the 324C firmware would not make much sense.

[QUOTE=joan_944;2699020]ihas124c firmware to a 324C! .Or can not?[/QUOTE]

iHAS124 C can crossflash to iHAS324 C and adds SmartErase feature.

[QUOTE=anywhere;2699202]iHAS124 C can crossflash to iHAS324 C and adds SmartErase feature.[/QUOTE]

It adds the feature to the firmware’s capabilities, it DOES NOT add it to the drives hardware, so if you have a 124C, crossflashing the 324C firmware does not mean you can use SmartErase…with joans poor english skills, i’m pretty sure you took what was a closed issue, and reopened it now, i’m sure we’ll get more questions that have already been answered from joan once again, oh well…

joan, do me a favor, if you have more questions, make your own thread, stop hijacking mine :-/

[QUOTE=zak7;2699218]It adds the feature to the firmware’s capabilities, it DOES NOT add it to the drives hardware, so if you have a 124C, crossflashing the 324C firmware does not mean you can use SmartErase…[/QUOTE]

The SmartErase feature only needs firmware’s capabilities.

Moved posts from zak7’s thread http://club.myce.com/f44/liteon-ihas124c-crossflashing-firmware-333397/

No need to get your knickers in a bunch if someone crossposts or hijacks a thread; just a simple nudge in the right direction will do. We ARE all friends here, riiiight? :wink:

And as [B]anywhere[/B] pointed out above, SmartErase isn’t dependent on hardware, only firmware. LightScribe is the one feature that depends on hardware capability (flashing 224, 424, or 624 firmware will not enable LightScribe, but every other feature available with that firmware will work moderately fine).

[QUOTE=Albert;2699233]Moved posts from zak7’s thread http://club.myce.com/f44/liteon-ihas124c-crossflashing-firmware-333397/

No need to get your knickers in a bunch if someone crossposts or hijacks a thread; just a simple nudge in the right direction will do. We ARE all friends here, riiiight? :wink:

And as [B]anywhere[/B] pointed out above, SmartErase isn’t dependent on hardware, only firmware. LightScribe is the one feature that depends on hardware capability (flashing 224, 424, or 624 firmware will not enable LightScribe, but every other feature available with that firmware will work moderately fine).[/QUOTE]
My mistake then, was unaware smarterase was only firmware dependent, never have used it before, so just assumed that, like the other features in the x24 series, it was a hardware change in each revision (1 2 3 4 524).

I haven’t ever done an upgrade from a 124C Retail drive to a 324C, so keep that in mind, if i’m informing joan incorrectly, please speak up, however i’ve done crossflashing of the 124C clone/rebadges to the 124C firmware, and been successful, so applying the same process I assume you could accomplish the same results, a way to flash the revision C firmwares to the drive with the same hardware (in this case 124 and 324)

Since there is now a place for this conversation, joan, it is important to note that i’m not entirely sure that the EEPROM from the 124C is compatible with the 324C firmware, or if you would need the EEPROM file from someone else restored to your drive to get functionality, I’m only aware that in other clones, the EEPROM is not compatible, with a retail 124C drive only testing will tell. However using the convert/upgrade drive function will not work in EEPROM Utility, as the reading of firmware is only supported via DosFlash and portio as far as I know. Luckily for you I do have the 324C firmware file and EEPROM file (link below). Just to let you know, you should ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR EEPROM BEFORE YOU OVERWRITE.

As for backing up your firmware, you can do that following the first post in my thread using PortIO and DosFlash if you need to, I have the 124C firmware (LL02) if you can’t read it, you should be able to write the firmware file with Flash Utility or LtnFlash as far as I know…Haven’t tried it with a retail 124C drive, only clones, but the chips are the same so as i said, you shoudl be able to.

So your little tutorial, as you’ve made your own thread, which i’m grateful for, cause my thread is about flashing clones -> retail firmware, and unscrambling the firmware and protection in the liteon firmware flashers, not upgrading retail drives firmware…

anyway, here you go…

BEFORE YOU BEGIN, NOTE THAT I USED DOSFLASH AND EEPROM UTILITY ONLY, NOT FLASH UTILITY, SO IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE FLASH UTILTY (WHICH I WILL INCLUDE INSTRUCTIONS FOR IN THIS GUIDE) I CANNOT GUARENTEE IT WILL WORK, AS I HAVE NOT TRIED IT, I AM ONLY ASSUMING IT WILL WORK.

grab the 324C firmware i’m providing, cvs should have a copy i’d guess, if not, like i said use mine…
atapi_ihas324_c_ll14.zip

backup your EEPROM using eeprom utility, save it somewhere SAFE!!

use dosflash and portio to backup your firmware if you can, if not, you can get the original 124C firmware if something goes wrong from here…
atapi_ihas124_c_ll02-fw.bin

(note: this is a full dump of MY DRIVE using dosflash and portio, i’ve not tried flashing it back to the drive using flash utility or any other tool besides dosflash, so if you do end up needing to restore the drive, i’d recommend figuring out dosflash and portio to use this binary. there is a explanation of how to do so in my thread that you were posting in prior to this one.)

REMEMBER: you’ll need your EEPROM if you want your drive to work with 124C again…there are copies of others eeproms, but yours is specific for your drive…and will work better.

Extract the .zip file with the 324C files inside, and open up flash utility, select the 124C drive you wish to flash to a 324C, and click write flash, select the .bin file you extracted, [B]*** MAKE SURE ITS 1MB IN SIZE AND NOT THE EEPROM!!****[/B]

When this is complete, proceed to power cycle your drive, or restart your computer to accomplish this…

This is the part i’m not exactly sure about, at this point your drive may function properly with your 124C retail EEPROM, however i doubt it, the green light on the drive should be solid, or blinking on and off steadily if your eeprom is incorrect for the firmware/drive…

if so, open up the EEPROM Utility, and hit restore EEPROM, select the .bin of the 324C eeprom you extracted [B]*** MAKE SURE ITS 8KB IN SIZE AND NOT THE FIRMWARE!!****[/B]

after the eeprom is flashed, click on the checksum tab, and hit repair checksum, just to make sure that your eeprom/fw checksum is correctly oriented, or whatever you call it :P…also you should probably clear the media learn settings since this isnt the original drive for the eeprom, and go and set the settings, under the options tab in EEPROM Utility…

at this point you should power cycle/reboot again, and hopefully when you get back to the desktop, the drive will be working as a 324C…

posted a little guide for how i would go about “crossflashing” (i’d call it upgrading really…) the firmware of the 124C to 324C for joan…i didnt use flash utility, but included instructions for it since portio and dosflash are more difficult to use…i assume it can write the firmware files just fine, even though it can’t read them…

as i said above, [B]MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EMERGENCY BACKUPS FOR YOUR DRIVE, AND I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK OR DAMAGE YOUR DRIVE USING ANYTHING, INFORMATION AND/OR DATA THAT I HAVE PROVIDED IN THIS THREAD OR ANY OTHERS!!![/B]

Flash Utility does not work on both C & D series Drives.

124 C & 324 C have the same XOR value, so convert drive/restore EEPROM isn’t required.

anywhere, your saying that it doesnt work on C and D drives for reading firmware, which is correct, however does it write? I cant remember if i’ve tried it or not, but as i said in my post, I used dosflash for my write/reading on the C drives, and it worked…

what happens when you write to a C or D drive using FU? Just fails?