Guide on splitting a DVD9 into two DVD5's

This is the story of me splitting a DVD9 into two DVD5’s.

Hardware used : Standard 1200mhz comp (WinXp) with Pioneer DVRA05 writer
Software used : SmartRipper v2.41, DVD IDle Pro v1.0, IfoEdit v0.95, Nero v5.5.10.0, PowerDVD v4.0 for XP

I will use Star Trek TNG - Season 1 - First Disc (Region 1) in this example, but the principal of the thing should become clear to you :slight_smile:

1. Ripping the DVD (using SmartRipper v2.41)
SmartRipper greets me with a “no ASPI-Adapter available” message. So I didn’t use ASPI for the rip proces. Select the DVD-Rom drive you’ll use for ripping. SmartRipper is scanning the accessibility of all the files on the DVD. When a file is locked you’ll have to unlock it using a player, I used PowerDVD. My DVD-Rom drive is region locked (hardware), so I had to use DVDIdle Pro v1.0 to get around the region protection. Just for the record, when your dvd-rom isn’t region locked you DON’T have to use DVDIdle Pro v1.0!!

Lets take a look at my settings in SmartRipper (just to be complete) :

MOVIE TAB
Key-Check - Every VOB File
File-Splitting - Every VOB File
VOB File Access - Auto
Max File Size - 4000mb (div0)
Options - Disabled : Create Directories, Ignore Low Discspace, Fast Error Skip

FILES/BACKUP TAB
Key-Check - Every VOB File
VOB File Access - Auto
Options - Disabled : Create Directories

After you’ve made these settings we’ll select ‘FILES’ for the Rip method. Select ALL files on the DVD (use the button below instead of checking every file) Set a target directory with enough free space (8,2gig for ST TNG disc1x01) REMEMBER the volume label of the DVD located on the top-right of SmartRipper next to the “eject” button (in my case NEXTGEN)
Rip away by hitting the “Start” button.

2. The actual splitting (using IfoEdit v0.95)
Fire up IfoEdit. Open VTS_02_0.IFO freshly ripped to your hard drive. We want to keep the menu on both dvd5’s so nothing will be changed with the “Menu Extras” button!! We can see 3 program chains. These represent the three episodes on the DVD. The first episode is a dual so this will be the first DVD5, the other 2 episodes will be on the second DVD5.

PGC_1 (First episode) uses VOB id’s 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14
PGC_2 (second episode) uses VOB id’s 15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23
PGC_3 (Third episode) uses VOB id’s 24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31

Click on VOB extras. Disable “Re-Mux” and “Rebuild PTS”, we don’t want to loose any quality of the dvd. Disable “Strip Streams”, we don’t want to get rid of any of the audio tracks or sub pictures. Disable “Create new IFO files (movie only)”, because we want to use the menu’s on the DVD. DISABLE “Split to 2 DVD-Rs”, trust me :slight_smile: Disable “Remove IIvu/Angle Point” and use Vob Size 1gig. Set a destination directory (eg. E:\Disc1).

The rest of the options will be grayed out or ENABLED.
Click OK.

For Disc1 :
Now you have to select the VOB id’s you’d like to KEEP, for disc1 these will be 1 thru 14. Enable “Correct IFO Tables” and then Strip it.
Wait for the stripping to finish and receive a message “Finished correcting VOBU pointers”.
In the E:\Disc1 directory there will be 10 files.
Copy over the 4 VTS_01*.* files from the original rip directory used by SmartRipper.

For Disc2 :
Now you have to select the VOB id’s you’d like to KEEP, for disc1 these will be 15 thru 31. Enable “Correct IFO Tables” and then Strip it.
In the E:\Disc2 directory there will be 10 files.
Copy over the 4 VTS_01*.* files from the original rip directory used by SmartRipper.

Woohooo, are we done yet?
Almost, before burning a few other thingies you have to do with BOTH discs :

• Open VIDEO_TS.IFO in IfoEdit

• Click on the “Region Free” button, if RCE Checking is found remove it by selecting the Region it HAS (my source dvd was Region 1)

• Click on the “Get VTS Sectors” button, choose NO on processing all ifo’s.

• Save VIDEO_TS.IFO and aslo overwrite the BUP file.

• Open VTS_02_0.IFO in IfoEdit

• Click on the “Region Free” button, if RCE Checking is found remove it by selecting the Region it HAS (my source dvd was Region 1)

• Click on the “Get VTS Sectors” button, choose NO on processing all ifo’s.

• Save VTS_02_0.IFO and aslo overwrite the BUP file.

3. Burning both discs
I use Nero v5.5.10.0 in combination with my Pioneer DVRA05 writer.

• Open Nero and select DVD-ROM(UDF/ISO)
  • Select No Multisession
  • Select ISO Level 1
  • Select ISO9660 and NO Joliet
  • Do NOT relax any ISO restrictions
  • Use UDF 1.02 Physical Partition (Do not force DVD Video compatability unless you ONLY want to use the disc on an X-Box)
  • Set the volume label (NEXTGEN in my case)
  • Select burn
  • Manually create an AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directory
  • Drag the dvd files in the VIDEO_TS directory
  • Burn

Works for me, how about you guys??:slight_smile:

Out of curiosity, why select the disc format in Nero as “DVD ROM (UDF/ISO)” instead of “DVD-Video”?

DVD-Rom (ISO/UDF) with UDF1.02 gives me the highest compatabiltiy!! DVD-Video does not play in all stand alones…

One more tip : With everything you rip let IfoEdit take a look at ALL the IFO files and GET VTS Sectors and resave your IFO files.