Guide for 6th gen ipod, 2nd gen ipod touch, ps3, xbox 360 and tv viewing

vbimport

i’m sure this little guide will help alot of people.

these settings are for very good viewing on a 46" lcd tv or lower through a ps3 or xbox 360 and fantastic viewing on a 6th gen ipod or 2nd gen ipod touch.

1. open dvd fab mobile, choose ps3, choose a file to convert, select next, select conversion settings, select playstation 3, add below settings, then set as default. now you never have to touch these again. (unless you want to experiment)
  • encoding method - fast encoding 1 pass (2 pass will be longer)
  • fixed bit rate - 1500kbs
  • fixed file size - do not touch. this will auto fill due to bit rate change.
  • split - no split
  • framerate - 23.976 fps (only try a different one if you have problems with a conversion. doesn’t happen very often)
  • audio bit rate - 128kbps
  • volume - 200%

i always use 704 x 400 if its available (this is max resolution you can go for ipod). if its not available, look at what ratio dvdfab has chosen on the right and find the next lowest one closest to it.

PLEASE NOTE BELOW!!!

• anything higher then 704 x 400 will not work most of the time on 6th gen ipod and 2nd gen ipod touch.

none of this works on 5th gen or lower, you must use the ipod selection.

Labeling:

file name - this is what the file name will show on computer.
title - this is for the title of the file
author - this is for director or producer of movie or show.

example:

file name - SEINFELD 102 (this way keeps files in order on computer)
title - 102 - THE STAKEOUT (this shows up under name in itunes)

i also use mp3tag to fill in other things like comments (brief episode description), year, genre and a thumbnail. this program actually imbeds it into the file so you never have to re-type anything again.

file sizes will turn out to approx:

movie - 1gb to 1.6gb depending on length of movie.
tv show - 200mb to 600mb depending on length of show.

i use the ps3 settings because it seems to be the common format for ps3, xbox 360, 6th gen ipod and 2nd gen ipod touch. this way i dont have to convert more then once.

remember, to be able to play the files for the consoles, you must use a fat 32 device and put all files into a folder named video.

if you want everything to run from your computer, just install tversity, and you will be able to stream to almost any device with ease.

i could make a full step by step guide with pictures from beginning to end if people would like that. (i would need help on how to load pics though)

anyway i hope this answers alot questions and helps you all.

enjoy!!!

Good job, but that is overkill in resolution for an iPod/iTpuch screen.
With a 32GB memory in my itouch the lower resolutions give you just as good of an image but uses about half as much space.

Yes the lower resolution will be a downer if you want to play the same file on a much larger screen, but for me its about how much I can take with me when I travel, and the smaller the file the better as long is it still looks & sounds good that is.

thanks!! :):):slight_smile:

i know the resolution is high but that is because this is a 1 convert and done for all those devices approach.

i have a 32gb ipod touch also and i have 5 gb’s of music, 2 gb’s of podcasts, 1 complete season of any tv show and 12 movies. thats enough stuff for a full week!! for longer trips i always have my laptop to transfer to ipod touch also.

Just gave your settings a whirl, and for multiplatform platform playing, this would be a nice optional setting. I did run into a problem when playing it. It seems that when the camera does pans the image tends to jump or stutter instead of smoothly move. Has anyone else noticed that?

5.1.1.8 seems to be the last version to not cause the stutter. if i come across a movie that stutters, i use 29.97 fps and that usually works. if that doesnt work, using version 4.1.2.0 works.

An important question first: Did you reset the default for 23.976 or did you just fill in the other stuff and hit default? also what version are you using, and what movie?

i couldn’t edit my first post so i had to put this in a new tab. This is a better guide and it takes you from start to finish.

An easy Step by step guide to convert dvd’s to a common format for tv viewing, ps3, xbox 360, 2nd gen ipod touch, and 6th gen ipod.

These settings are what I call a happy medium. I wanted files that looked very decent on my 46” lcd tv and could also be played on the ps3, xbox 360, 2nd gen ipod touch, and 6th gen ipod.

[B]Things you need:[/B]

Dvdfab.
Dvdshrink – freeware
Mp3tag – freeware

[B]RIPPING DVD TO HARDDRIVE:[/B] (I will use Full Disk Option, Entourage, Season 1, Disc 1 as an example)

1. Open Dvdfab.
  2. Select full disk.
  3. Load dvd and wait for Dvdfab to analyze
  4. Select the folder icon to the right of the target selection.
  5. Choose drive you want the dvd rip to go to.
  6. Make a new folder with a dvd name and add an a to the end.(example: Entourage 1-1a)
  7. Change volume label to name of dvd if it didn’t already. (no A needed here)
  8. Select dvd 9 in quality box. (this makes it so no compression is used)
  9. Click start and wait until finished.

[B]SELECTING WHAT YOU WANT AND EDITING:[/B]

Now you have to decide what you want to keep. For me, all I keep is the main movie and I edit out the opening stuff, end credits and non important audio. This will make files much smaller.

1. Open dvdshrink.

2. Select edit, preferences, custom and choose a file size then click ok. (I put mine to 60,000mb so I can fit a whole tv series season without compression)

3. Select open files, click the folder you made to open it, click full disc, then select the last dvd name folder then wait for it to load. Example: click Entourage 1-1a, then click Full disk, then click Entourage 1-1a. The last Entourage 1-1a file is the root folder with the audio and video vob files in it. (If you don’t get to the last dvd file name that holds the audio and video vob files, dvd shrink will give you an error.)

4. Choose re-author.

5. Double click the files you want to keep and it adds them to the left. (Entourage 1-1a has 4 episodes)

6. Click on compression settings.

7. Uncheck all but the ac3 5.1-ch English or if none choose ac3 2-ch English (leave checkmark for any others you want) NOTE: if you keep subtitles, you will not be able to turn them off during playback.

8. Click on set start/end frames. (symbol with 2 arrows going left & right)

9. Click and hold on top right arrow until you get to your desired beginning. (I started clip at the end of the intro)

10. Click and hold on the bottom left arrow until you get to your desired end. (usually just before end credits)

11. Repeat this process until you have gone through all your selected files.

12. Click ok. (to check, select file, click play and use slider to see desired result)

13. Click backup

14. Select backup target as hard disk folder.

15. Click browse for target output files, choose drive and make a new folder with the true dvd name without the a. (Entourage 1-1)

16. Click ok. Wait for it to finish.

17. Now you have a folder with the true dvd name, and only the files and audio you selected. (Entourage 1-1 folder, 4 episodes with no intro or end credits, and selected audio)

18. Repeat this process until all dvd’s in the season are done. (Entourage 1-1, Entourage 1-2)

19. Close dvd shrink and re-open it.

20. Click on open files, choose dvd folder and wait for it to load. (Entourage 1-1)

21. Click on re-author

22. Double click each file to add it to the left. (Entourage 1-1 has 4 files)

23. Click on the back folder icon until you see the list that contains the next dvd folder and click on it. (Entourage 1-2)

24. Again double click each file so it gets added to the left. Now you have 8 files to the left (8 episodes)

25. Click backup.

26. Click browser for output files and make a new folder named Entourage Season 1.

27. Click ok. Wait for it to finish.

28. Now you have a folder named Entourage Season 1 containing all 8 files of season 1 episodes that are edited to your liking. (notice the file size difference. it’s much smaller)

[B]CONVERTING FILES:[/B]

1. Open Dvdfab, click on dvd to mobile and choose ps3.

2. Click on folder to the right of the source bar and choose your dvd folder. (Entourage Season 1)

3. Click on folder to the right of the target bar and choose the drive you want the converted files to go to.

4. Select each file from 1 to 8 in sequential order then click next.

5. Highlight first file then click on conversion settings.

6. Select playstation 3 in the drop box at the top right.

7. Change info to the following settings:

• Encoding method - fast encoding 1 pass (2 pass will be much longer)
  • Fixed bit rate - 1500kbs
  • Fixed file size - do not touch as this will auto fill due to bit rate change.
  • Split - no split
  • Frame rate - 23.976 fps (only try a different one if you have problems with a conversion. (Doesn’t happen very often)
  • Audio bit rate - 128kbps
  • Volume - 200%
  1. Select the drop box again and click on ps3.default. The settings will now stay this way every time you use it.

2. Resolution size is different for every dvd. I always use 704 x 400 if it’s available (this is max resolution you can go for ipod). If it’s not available, look at what ratio Dvdfab has chosen on the right and find the next lowest one closest to it. PLEASE NOTE!!! (Anything higher then 704 x 400 will not work most of the time on 6th gen ipod and 2nd gen ipod touch)

3. Label your file.

• File name - This is what the file name will show on computer.
  • Title - This is for the title of the file
  • Author - This is for director or producer of movie or show.

Example:

File name – Entourage 101 (this way keeps files in order on computer)
Title - 101 - Pilot (this shows up under name in itunes)

1. Once you finish selecting the resolution and labeling your file, click ok.

2. Repeat Steps 9 & 10 for all 8 files.

3. Click start and the conversion will begin. Go do something else because it’s a long wait. For me with a dual core 3.0 extreme processor, it takes approx 16 mins for a 22 min show, or 1.3 hrs for a 2 hour movie using 1 pass. (almost double with 2 pass)

4. Once completed, your files will be under the drive you chose and in a folder named ps3. (ie: C: drive, ps3 folder, Entourage Season 1 folder, then files Entourage 101, to Entourage 108)

5. File sizes will turn out to approx:

• Movie - 1gb to 1.6gb depending on length of movie.
  • Tv show - 200mb to 600mb depending on length of show.
  1. Now make 2 main folders on your biggest drives. 1 named tv shows and another named movies. These 2 folders will be your hub for your itunes. This will make it easier for you to add media files to itunes and to copy to backup.

2. Now make 2 main folders in you’re my pictures folder named tv show covers and movie covers.

3. Now make a folder in tv shows named Entourage. Copy over your Entourage season 1 folder into your Entourage folder. This Entourage folder will now be for all Entourage related media.

4. Open itunes, select file option, then select add folder to library, and click on tv shows.

5. Itunes will now add everything from the tv shows folder.

6. Click on the movies tab in itunes and you will see all 8 of your Entourage files. Notice under name it shows episode # and episode name? and under album it shows Entourage season 1?

7. Now go to cduniverse.com and type in Entourage. Find the season 1 link, click on it, then click on the photo. Now right click and select save picture as. You’re my pictures folder should pop up. Click on the folder you made named tv show covers, name the photo Entourage Season 1, click save.

8. Select all the Entourage files, right click, and select get info.

9. In the info tab type in genre (drama), year (2004) then double click the artwork box. You’re my pictures folder will pop up, select the tv show covers folder and select the Entourage season 1 picture.

10. Select the video tab. Type in Entourage in the show box, then type 1 in season box.

11. Click the options tab. Click the media kind drop box and change it to tv show. Click ok.

12. Now your files will disappear. Don’t worry there not gone.

13. Click on the tv show tab and presto!!! You now have Entourage season 1 under your tv shows all labeled and with a thumbnail 

[B]PERMANENT LABELING USING MP3TAG:[/B] This will permanently add all the labeling you did above to the file so you never have to type it or attach a thumbnail again. Even if you transfer the files!!!

1. Open mp3tag.

2. Click on the change directory icon, click computer, then select the drive your tv show folder is in.

3. Select your tv shows folder and click on Entourage season 1. There should be no files showing in the box. Click select folder button in the bottom right corner and your Entourage episodes will show up.

4. Select the file named Entourage 101. Notice how everything is filled in? The only extra thing you need to do here is add comments if you want. I use comments for brief show descriptions. I usually just copy and paste from imdb. If its too long it wont show up in itunes. If it doesn’t show up, just reload file in mp3tag and edit it. I think its around 150 chars per file.

5. Once you fill in comments (or not), hit the save disk in mp3tag. After about 30 secs or so it will say save complete. Continue with each file until you go through them all.

6. Close mp3tag, itunes again and select the tv shows tab.

7. Select all your entourage files from itunes and delete. When it asks you if you want to delete from library or move to recycle bin, select from library only. MAKE SURE YOU DON’T SELECT MOVE TO RECYCLE BIN!!!

8. Select the file tab from itunes, add folder to library, and choose your tv shows folder again.

9. Click on the movie tab in itunes and you will see your files again. Select all your Entourage files, right click, select get info. This time you only need to select the video tab and add a 1 to the season box. Now select the options tab and in the media kind drop box, select tv show.

Congratulations you now have successfully converted and permanently tagged your new media files and they will always stay organized in any program you choose to use!!!

[B]IMPORTANT NOTES:[/B]

I use the ps3 settings because it seems to be the common format for ps3, xbox 360, 6th gen ipod and 2nd gen ipod touch. This way I only have to convert it once.

Remember, if you want to be able to play the files directly from the consoles, you must use a fat 32 device and put all files into a folder named video.

If you want everything to run from your computer and stream through your xbox 360 or ps3, just install Tversity, and you will be able to stream to almost any device with ease.

I hope this answers a lot of questions people have had. If you notice any errors, missing info, or even find something that’s confusing, please let me know and I will update it.

Enjoy!!!

Kingpn69

WOW Kingpn69
Very nice job!
The video stutter I see is in DVDFab 5.2.0.0 using the default 23.976fps. Never touch it, everything else I did change to your spec. It is visble in all pans (left/right).

did you try my suggestions in my other reply to you?

[quote=DREAMLINER;2170625]WOW Kingpn69
Very nice job!
The video stutter I see is in DVDFab 5.2.0.0 using the default 23.976fps. Never touch it, everything else I did change to your spec. It is visble in all pans (left/right).[/quote]

I will, dont have time now to change the framerate to 29.97 and re-encode, but I will later and post my findings.

Thanks

As promised writing back, I changed the framerate to 29.976, and the stutter was gone just like you said! It is strange becuase 23.976 usually is the one that works best(Stutter free pans), but not in this case. Anyway I went ahead and left the defualt to 23.976fps since normally this is what works for me.

I also encoded “Wanted” Region 1.
This 1 Hour & 50 Minute movie using your profile used up 1,397,636 KB, using the smaller iPhone/iTouch Profile with a 640 X 272 resolution and a fixed bit rate of 720 it took 681,132KB. So it is basically about half the space. I think your profile is no doubt the best way to get away with one profile for multi platform use.

I think for me I will stick with the smaller size file for use with the iPhone/iTouch. The increase resolution simply does not make the image look better in the small screen, but I loose the precious limited space. The way I use my iPhone/iTouch I much rather have more quantity in my limited space. I like using the straight vob passthrough for hard drive recording since on the PS3 this gives you the original DVD resolution and I have a much larger storage capacity at home than when I am mobile. Since hard drive space is not as precious at home I don’t mind the bigger file original resolution vob.

I do see that this can be very usefull to alot of people that are looking for the one encoding to fit all.

glad it worked:) :slight_smile:

you are always supposed to set the default to 23.976. you only change it for any movie you have problems with.

also, its the bit rate that makes a file bigger or smaller. the resolution doesnt change much.

the smallest you can go before you see a difference on an iphone/touch is 450 to 500 bit rate. try converting a movie at that rate and it still should look as good as your 720 bit rate but with a much smaller size.

i should have put that in the guide. sorry about that :frowning: :frowning: i can’t add that because i can not edit the post anymore.

Kingpin69

Great will try it at 500 and see. That would squeeze a few more flix in there! I don’t mine shrinking the file as long as the image does not suffer in the device I intend to play it on.

I have noticed that after encoding that the black level in the movie becomes lighter? Those deep colored black are more like a very dark grey or blue rather than black. Do you think that is just part of the encoding and can’t be helped?

Watch the bits/pixel reading on the Conversion Settings screen as you change the bitrate and screen size. If you are encoding only for an iPod/Phone, you are wasting file size and encoding time if you use the large screen sizes–stick with something close to the native screen size of the device. Keep the bits/pixel above 0.15 or higher for really good quality. I do all mine at 0.25 or more.

Nice guide, kingpin. I used to do lots of these, but you can see now why I don’t anymore–no way to edit or update. I am making you a DVD to Mobile device file called STREAMER that will have all your settings as defaults and will install on the DVD to Mobile menu pane so you can eliminate steps 5,6,7 and 8 under Converting Files. All that will be necessary is to put in the file name. I will post it in this thread when its finished.

thanks alot signals :slight_smile:

is there anyway to have this thread deleted or would i have to start a new thread? (don’t want to get in trouble for starting a new thread)

i would love to add a couple more bits of info to the guide people like dreamliner.