Guide a newbie with his new 1620

vbimport

Just picked up a benq 1620 (I/O Magic at Staples). Flashed it succesfully with WinDWFlash.exe to B7T9.

2 other programs were available. What is QScan v1.0, and what is BookType Management v8.4?

What do I use them for?

I’m new, but I could learn if you’ll help me.

Thanks.

Qscan tell you what speed you can burn media at, but you can just let the burner determine that or set it to 8x-12x if you want to play it safe. Booktype mgmt tool is to set you + media to DVD-rom for better compatability, but the burner automatically does that, so in a nut sheet you really don’t need them. You may want to download the latest cd-dvd speed for quality scans to see how good your burns are. Just google it. You got any media for it, if so what kind?

Thanks.

I have Nero CD-DVD Speed 3.61, I’m just not sure what I’m supposed to do for a scan.

About the booktype prog. is that in cd-dvd speed extra > bitsetting, my setting there are

Drive Settings

Disc Type Book Type
DVD+R DVD-ROM
DVD+RW DVD+RW
DVD+R DL DVD+R DL

As for media I have some RITEK R03 and lots of CMC MAG E01.

I had bought at the last sale an I/O Magic which was a BTC. It had terrible results with CMCMAG even though it’s on their media list, so I got the ritek which is fine.

Browsing this forum I learned that there are differences in drives and media so I got the Benq as well. I would like to see what it does with the CMCMAG discs.

After all my reading I still don’t understand/know if I should keep both drives (if they can complement each other) or just keep one. And if I keep one which should it be. The one that has better scans? The BTC is fine with Ritek, it’s just annoying that I can’t use it with cheaper media.

You should probably set booktype “DVD rom” for the rw and DL. Just do a burn off the BenQ and after the burn pull cd-dvd speed up and do a Tool> “quality disk test” at 8x. I think you’ll find that the BenQ will produce the better scan on either media then the BTC, unless you have gotten a bum burner. post a scan if you want. If it produces the better scan then why keep the BTC? The BenQ is a good reader also.

where did you get qscan1.0 from? i dont have this. i can’t see this on benq site.

It’s under the software section, not firmware. You’re not missing much. I think it might be good for DL but that’s about it and if it’s good for that.

It won’t allow me to set DVD-ROM for all. Only on one, so I chose DVD+R since that’s the media I’ll most likely be using.

Funny mind is all set to DVD-ROM.

gfrankel

"About the booktype prog. is that in cd-dvd speed extra > bitsetting, my setting there are

Drive Settings

Disc Type Book Type
DVD+R DVD-ROM
DVD+RW DVD+RW
DVD+R DL DVD+R DL"

You probably aught to shut off the bitsetting in Nero, as Benq does the bitsetting automaticly

You don’t have to shut off the bitsetting within Nero - it’ll still booktype fine or at least it always does for me. :slight_smile:

OK, I burned my first disc with this drive, a Teon 8x (CMC MAG E01). Nero verified the burn that it was okay. Checked it with CDCheck to compare with the origional files, Nero CD-DVD Speed > Scandisc, results = 100%.

Now I would like to make a scan with the quality disc test and post it here for you guys to tell me how I’m doing.

How do I capture the test to post here?

Ok so you go into Tools aand do a “disk quality test” and after you’re done it gives you a 1.5in by 2inch summary, well click out of the summary and you’re back to the main graph. Over in the upper right (to the left of the minimize slash) is a “floppy disk icon” click on that and it saves your graph as a png pic. Then you go to “post reply” here and then select “manage attachments” and attach your graph and then hit “upload” and then “post”.

Here it is

I don’t have a clue on how to read this stuff, what’s important, to look out for, is good or not. What is PI or PO?

Thanks Hef for all your help till now. I appreciate it.

Ok the most important numbers are the max PIF, the avg PIF, the number of PIF and the quality score. you have a quality score of 97% (out of 100) so that very good esp since thats cmc. Your quaility will reflect your max PIF, but say you have nothing but max 4s except for one little 20 spike PIF then thats a better burn a bunch of 20 PIF that would also garner a quaility score of say 88%. You total PIFs is below 1000 so that good to. PIEs are not that important. great burn for CMC. Did you burn it at max or 8x or 4x?

I burned at 8x. Would I get better results burning at lower speeds? When I have the time I don’t mind doing it on lower.

I still don’t understand what this PI business is. What’s it checking?

I also totally lost you when you wrote:

“but say you have nothing but max 4s except for one little 20 spike PIF then thats a better burn a bunch of 20 PIF that would also garner a quaility score of say 88%.”

What???