GTX 295 has 2 GPU in SLI mode, but is GTX 285 faster for single GPU works?

vbimport

I have seen the GTX 295 cards not being on hand for buying by most places I visit, but I see the GTX 285 there to buy.

Is GTX 295 only faster in games that support SLI? If the game does not support SLI, would a GTX 285 be better for single GPU gaming?

Thank you

No, the 295 is the faster card regardless.

2 GTX285 in SLI would be faster than 1 GTX295, as the GTX295 is roughly comparable to GTX260 SLI in a single card solution.

Thank you for reply.

The GTX 295 only is faster because of 2 GPU then?

Do not you have to have a game work with 2 GPU in SLI mode to realize the benefit?

That is the part that is confusing to me now I think.

Thank you for helping

A single GTX295 does not use SLI mode, the speed is realized internally.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2474807]A single GTX295 does not use SLI mode, the speed is realized internally.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for reply.

I think that is what I was confused about how I thought 2 GPU’s always meant SLI (or crossfire).

But if it has 2 internally controlled processors then that implementation would work for every single game you play on that card then, they need not to be SLI aware?

Thank you for helping.

[QUOTE=SubZero;2474815]Thank you for reply.

I think that is what I was confused about how I thought 2 GPU’s always meant SLI (or crossfire).

But if it has 2 internally controlled processors then that implementation would work for every single game you play on that card then, they need not to be SLI aware?

Thank you for helping.[/QUOTE]

Correct

Thank you for reply.

If gaming at 1600x1200 only (no higher) would the 295 not benefit much over the 285?

I cannot find as to why the 295 is suddenly not available in many stores online. I had wanted to get a 295 but if a 285 will be just as effective at 1600x1200 and lower, I could order the 285.

Thank you for helping

No the 295 wouldn’t be better at that resolution, so go with the 285!

At that resolution you can get a 260 or 275, then later on get a second one for sli.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2474874]No the 295 wouldn’t be better at that resolution, so go with the 285!

At that resolution you can get a 260 or 275, then later on get a second one for sli.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for reply.

I think a 285 instead of 295 would need less of an upgrade for the power supply.

I visit Nvidia site and they say you need min of 680 watt for the 295 but only 550 watt for 285.

I’ll check bench marks to see how the 260, 275 and 285 compare.

Just an observation, if you are planning on staying with an older 4:3 display, I would not recommend spending a lot of money on a video card. Even a GTX285 would be overkill, in my estimation.

Will not get into the whole LCD vs CRT debate here, as that is beyond the scope of this thread. However, as gaming is clearly something you value, and given the class of card you have selected as a potential purchase, I would strongly recommend you at least consider replacing your display with a widescreen display in either a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio. Gaming at resolutions above 1600x1200 is truly a joy and given how much you enjoy gaming, there is no reason you should limit yourself when all current games support insane resolutions.