GTA 3 running like a pig!

Hi all (again).
I recently bought GTA 3 and i am pretty cheezed off - 'cos it wont run smoothly on my system - only in frams when walking and driving. i have dfragged my HDD yesterday but still no good!
IS it my :

[ul]
[li]Processor (P3 800mhz)
[/li][li]SD RAM (256MB)
[/li][li]Graphics card (nVIDA TNT2 32mb)
[/li][/ul]
That is not up to it or is it something else which causes the game to run slow. if it is one of the above it will be strange , because the miin.requirements are:

[ul]
[li]450 MHz intel or Pent.
[/li][li]96MB RAM
[/li][li]16 MB Graphics card[/ul]
[/li]And the recommended requirements are:

[ul]
[li]700 MHz intel or Pent.
[/li][li]128MB RAM
[/li][li]32 MB Graphics card[/ul]
[/li]
My machine meets the recomended hardware settings, so wtf??

TIA.

your problem is that you have a tnt card…
the software needs hardware acceleration which your card doesn’t support

so the manual is a bit vague when it says “32mb graphcard required”

What is the cheapest / worst graph. card (with an nVIDA chipset) that will play GTA 3 without problems.

I wont have to updrade to the geforce 3/4 ti get a 2nd mortage to buy cards, will i?

Anyway, this game is going back 4 the time being.

Hi,

Well I don’t know if it is your system that is the problem as I have

Athlon 1800+
512 DDR RAM
32MB Geforce 2 (Yeah I know I need a new GFX card!)
Win XP Pro

and it won’t run smooth on my computer!!! It does exactly the same thing as yours. However I have managed to cure the problem, but I’m nut sure how :confused: Here is what I was doing when it started to work. I copied all of the audio data from CD2 into the audio directory of the installation path. . I also installed XP service pack 1. It then started to work. Stange thing is I have now uninstalled all of the above and it still works??? :confused: So like I said I don’t know exactly what I did, but it worked and that’s all I care about! I hope this is of some help. (If I think of anything else that I was doing I will let you know, oh the service pack is on micro$ofts site. If you can’t find it let me know and I’ll e-mail it to you.)

Acestes

We do not condone the use of illegal cracks

good stuff mate…but i am running win 98se :frowning:

Hmm :frowning: Well try doing all that other stuff and see what happens. Just wish I knew what I did!

Your card is one of the older series , the TNT and TNT2 chips are absolutely hardware accelerated vga 3d cards , but not in the style and much textures and polygon as GTA III would like to have.

I have a GeForce 2MX with 64mb , it is sufficient to run GTA III , though not fluently.

Well pigs usually run pretty fast :)) .

OK, I have a gf2mx400 and I run it perfect with a P3 500Mhz. I have always read about people getting slow performance but I’ve never had it! I don’t understand why some people get good performance (P3 450Mhz w/ 16Mb voodoo banshee) and some people don’t (P4 1.5Ghz w/ 64MB GF4MX). The game is just terribly optimized, the problem is not with your hardware.

did you look in the graphic options screen…you should set some details to low. And do not set your resolution to high, disable the filtering , lower colors to 16 bit, etc

i have an Athlon XP 1700+, 512 mb ddr, ATI Radeon 8500 - 64 mb ddr gamers edition.

NO problems here…lol

i got a athlon thunderbird 1.2ghz with 512mb ddr ram and a geforce 3 ti200 (overclocked in BIOS to 200/450) :slight_smile:

NO problems here :slight_smile: and i run at 1024x768 resolution :slight_smile:

i use 16-bit color, turn shadows off and i use 8x anistropic filtering to :slight_smile: looks good and plays good :slight_smile:

i’m running an amd xp 1900+, 512 mb ddr ram, gf2 ultra 64mb on xp home . the only prob i had was the d3d8.dll file that comes with xp sucks so i had to update it so i could read the menu’s properly besides that no probs running game at 1600x1200 res 32 bit colour

AMD T-Bird 1Ghz, 256MB Ram and a GF3 TI200 runs this game perfectly. Atleast here…
It’s so fun seeing GTA3 stutter on my mates XP200+ and GF4 TI4600… :wink:

yeah, i put all the settings to lowest with a little improvement.

just out of interest i tried on the max 32bit display setting and it wasn’t much different.

i am just gonna get a new graph. card, but which is the cheapest to be able to run the game with the max. picture settings. i am thinking of a GeForce 4 MX 440 64MB DDR - will it be good enough?

anyway, i got the PS 2 version to keep me going in the meantime :slight_smile:

buy an ATI Radeon 8500

much cheaper then a Geforce

i just changed from Nvidia to ATI…

what spec does that card have - eg: mamory banwidth etc.

btw, what are the specs you look for in a graphics card to see if it good or not ? video memory surely, but what else?

Also, my friend is offering to give me the Geforce 4 MX440 64mb DDR, but i only want to accept it if it can play GTA 3 on the highest pcture settings. - can it?

cheers :slight_smile:

hardware acceleration of software features
amount of memory, speed of memory

just look for reviews on sites like this;
http://www.3dgameman.com/

I’m running it on a P4 1400Mhz 768Mb RIMM and an ATI Radeon 8500. Framerate is getting slow on my system too, but not very often. I haven’t find out why yet, but it could be my Win2k setup (need to reinstall, but don’t have the time right now)

1024x768 32bit

i would very much apreciate someone with a GF 4 mx440 64DDR to post their ex[eriences with gta3 :slight_smile:

i have a GF4 MX440 64mb DDR .
i haven’t tried GTA3 yet but am goin to get it soon.
i’ll let ya know how it runs when i get it.

any game i play i have the graphic settings maxed out.
don’t get any slow down running everything at highest detail level.

setup i have is:

Pentium3 1Gig
256MB Ram
Geforce4 MX440 64mb DDR
Windows XP Pro

run all games at 32bit color
1280 by 1024 resolution

MOHAA, Jedi Knight2:Jedi Outcast, Soldier of Fortune2, Duke Nukem:Manhattan Project, are just some of the games that run fine and without any slowdown or crashes with this card.

The GeForce4 MX chipset is a re-branded GeForce2 MX400 but running at a higher speed. That’s why GF4MX users report the same graphic corruption as GF2 users.

But there is a fix to it. There is a patch that fixes it.

Just make sure that you don’t pay too much for the GF4 MX440 ($60-70 is good). BTW the game runs wonderful on a GF2MX400 so GF4 MX440 should also do the job.

For REALLY cheap hardware check out www.ubid.com. I even found a complete athlonXP +2100 system w/GF3 and high-spec hardware for only $300!)