GSA-H73 DVD drives question

hello guys, i am new to here

anyway just straight to my problem,
i have HitachiLG drives (GSA-H73) and PhilipsBenq (DH-48C2S) that came with my XPS system

until now i haven’t got any burn fail yet… since i always burn at 4x speed on UDF format… and never find anyproblem reading the writted disc

just now i try checking the disc with Nero DiscSpeed4 and DVDInfoPro on (DH-48C2S) and the result quite shocking for DVD quality Rating, since often the dvd i write got below 50% quality rate!
i also use scan disc tool and no error found

the blank media i use is TDK Durabis DVD-R … if i don’t wrong the disc maker is taiyoyuden
and yeah i did update the firmware for both drives from dell site before i burn the discs

so my question are:

1. how accurate Nero&DVDinfopro dvd quality settings are? should i believe them ?

2. is that possible caused i am using UDF format than ISO format ? though i dont believe it have relation to DVD quality rating

3. is HitachiLG writter that bad? from what i read the drive have good review or PhilipsBenq drive that the one not reliable ?

4. do you recommend me getting new drive ? as i am thinking getting Pioneer DVR-S16J

since the data i back-up is important (webserver data + workstation data)
i need to make sure the data i burn can be used for quite sometimes until wearing

thanks before !!

Hi and Welcome,

the DH-48C2S is a DVD/CDRW combo drive, if Google serves me right. I am not sure if this drive can be considered as reliable scanner, so the results might look much worse than they are.

I would perform a transfer rate test using Nero disc speed instead. If the reading curve is smooth, you should be fine.

Michael

hi mciahel
thanks for the reply

yes, that DH-48C2S is DVD/CDRW combo drive… here spec on dell page http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/P137079/en/spec.htm

regarding transfer rate test on nero discspeed, do you mean benchmark test ?

thanks before

Hi,[quote=slyphnier;2124517]
regarding transfer rate test on nero discspeed, do you mean benchmark test ?[/quote]:iagree: Yes. :iagree:

Michael

mciahel thanks again for the reply and sorry for late replying it :doh:
for burning i can’t get lower than 4x on nero, i still have to try with other media though…

anyway here the graph for transfer rate… is this good enough ?

transfer rate on GSA-H73

transfer rate on DH-48C2

quality check on transfer rate on DH-48C2

and from reading http://www.dvd-r.jpn.org/ about pioner new D216 review… it said the drive have around 30% rates for faulty drives (drives that didnt produce good quality writting)… well i don’t find for other drives though
but are drives have that high faulty rates?.. somehow kinda curious regarding this writters reliability ^^

Hi,

transfer rate test are fine. Your drives can read these discs flawlessly. I wouldn’t give very much on the scans done with a possibly unreliable (as scanner) drive.
So, I don’t see any need to replace the drive as long as you stick with quality media like the TY you have used.
Additionally, these media are optimised for higher burn speeds, so you might also try 12x or even 16x. Results are often better than @4x.

Michael

hi
thanks alot for fast reply and the info ^^
glad to hear everything just ok hehehe

i might try with 12x next time i burn

thanks again!