GSA-H42N - DVD+DL Media Fails to Detect

vbimport

I’ve just installed a new GSA-H42N drive (patched to RJ11 via MCSE) in my Dell workstation. It is connected with an 80-wire cable and is using UDMA4.

DVD+R media detects and burns without a problem.

However, DVD+R DL media (RITEK-D01), which is listed as being supported on the RITEK website and is a default media code for the drive, returns the following error in DVD Identifier 5.0.1:

[09:15:20] Waiting For Drive To Initialize Disc…
[09:15:49] ERROR : Unable To Initialize Disc In Time : Not ready - Logical unit not ready [02/04/01]

Other software, such as ImgBurn, reports similar errors and refuses to detect the disc.

Any ideas about what the problem is? Is there are hardware failure with the drive that should be dealt with while the warranty is fresh?

My H42L has problems with RITEKD01 as well. It won’t set the book-type to DVD-ROM half of the time, and every once in a while, it won’t be able to finish the burn. My DVD player won’t even play any RITEKD01, ever. It’ll keep spinning and eventually tell me that no DVD has been inserted.

I’m pretty sure it’s the Ritek media giving your drive a fit. I would try using some better DL media, such as MKM001 or MKM003 (DVD+R DL Verbatim), before beginning the long process of warrantied replacement. RITEKD01 = :Z

My LG drive (an E10N) refuses flat-out to start a burn with Ritek DL media. You may want to try some Verbatim before giving up on the drive, as LGs like the good stuff.

Welcome to the forum BTW :slight_smile: