GSA-E50L firmware -> GSA-T20L

Ok, since I’m having problems with the T20L, and several references say the E50L external drive uses the T20L for it’s drive, can I flash my laptop with E50L firmware? Would it do catastrophic damage? Would I be able to recover it if it doesn’t function?

I’m ready to get a new drive anyway, so if all we are talking about is losing DVD drive functionality, then I’m game "in the name of science: :smiley:

If it would potentially screw up my laptop or BIOS, etc, then I’ll pass.

it won’t screw up your bios thats for sure. it could ruin your drive, thats possible. (if the hardware isn’t the same) The outcome will be interesting if a T20L is indeed a E50L (OEM versus real LG) ask ala42 to enable crossflashing, I’ve asked it before, he said it was do-able to enable it. I wasn’t willing to sacrifice my drive, as I don’t use it that often and it works fine for me, the only thing i hope to gain are newer strats, not the securedrive / layerjump recording that the E50L has and my asus OEM hasn’t

P.S.
i don’t think it will help your drive’s reading problem.

[QUOTE=puki ajam;2211135]it won’t screw up your bios thats for sure. it could ruin your drive, thats possible. (if the hardware isn’t the same) The outcome will be interesting if a T20L is indeed a E50L (OEM versus real LG) ask ala42 to enable crossflashing, I’ve asked it before, he said it was do-able to enable it. I wasn’t willing to sacrifice my drive, as I don’t use it that often and it works fine for me, the only thing i hope to gain are newer strats, not the securedrive / layerjump recording that the E50L has and my asus OEM hasn’t

P.S.
i don’t think it will help your drive’s reading problem.[/QUOTE]

OK cool, I figured as much, and I let ala42 know I was willing in other thread.

So, that being the case, it probably won’t do me any good to buy the e50l and install in my laptop as mobilenvidia did, since they have the same guts. Or do you think it will?

why stick to lg, there are other drives out there with better support
like nec(optiarc) , pioneer. those have good burn quality and modded firmwarez if you like

[QUOTE=puki ajam;2211794]why stick to lg, there are other drives out there with better support
like nec(optiarc) , pioneer. those have good burn quality and modded firmwarez if you like[/QUOTE]
The latest NEC slimline drives are QSI clones, for the latest Pioneer slimline drives no firmware was released, so be carefull which slimline drive you buy.

optiarc 7590 7593 still available over here 40 euro