GSA 5120D and double layer DVDs

Hello, guys
I have a LG external unit, GSA 5120D, connected to my computer via USB. Some time ago I used it to burns some double layer, 2X blank DVDs (do not remember brand/model/other details) and it worked just fine. Few days ago I decided to backup some old stuff from my comp, using again double layer blanks (due to storage space), so I bought some Memorex, 8x speed. And from here on the voodoo starts…
First my Nero (6.6.0.16) had a fix ideea to give me error messages, saying it can’t burn the media at 4x (no matter I was selecting any burning speed, except 4x). Then I made a firmware update, from A104 to A112 and at the end to A117 (latest I found). The error was still there, so I tried with my other burner (internal, GSA H62N) the blank. I concluded the blank might also be corrupted, so I bought some Verbatim. The 5210D refused to burn them, but the H62N did it without a problem. Furthermore, H62N reads them now fine, but 5120D cannot read them (but 5120D seems, anyway, to be working, since it reads some other, 4.7 GB DVDs, preety scratched).

Does anybody has an advice on this issue? Even if on my computer I have the H62N, I would like to make the 5120D working also, in order to use it for other computers…

Thanks in advance

Hi and Welcome!

this drive does not support the modern 8x rated DL media. You might have some luck with old Verbatim 2.4x DL discs, but I wouldn’t bet on that.

Michael

Hi, mciahel
So, if I understand correctly, my only chance is to find some older, low speed, DL blanks, in order to use that unit?

Hi,[quote=pop_m;2210848]
So, if I understand correctly, my only chance is to find some older, low speed, DL blanks, in order to use that unit?[/quote]Exactly. Compatibility with modern media is very limited with this drive.

Michael

Ok, thanks.
So, if i am lucky, I will find some “classic” media :slight_smile: otherwise I will get (another) nice press papier