GSA 4163B rarely recognize DVD +R Doble Layer

vbimport

My 4163B read and write all cd and dvd types but it only recognize dvd +R doble layer some few times, someone can figure why? Thanks

That burner is not up to date most likely, and only use Verbatim DL with it.

Yep, to elaborate a bit on what chef said:

What firmware is on your 4163B? Find out with Nero InfoTool.

What speed and brand are the DL discs you’re trying to use?

[QUOTE=Arachne;2001112]Yep, to elaborate a bit on what chef said:

What firmware is on your 4163B? Find out with Nero InfoTool.

What speed and brand are the DL discs you’re trying to use?[/QUOTE]

The info about the drive is in the txt file attached. The dvd + i try to copy is a tdk dvd+r 8x dl

the dvd i try to burn is a platinum dl dvd+r 8.5gb.

Some times the drive recognize the tdk dvd and i´ve been able to make a iso and a mdf image(one with nero another with alcohol)…but in major cases it just don´t recognize it. I have 2 lg dvd writers and none of them do the job. For 2 times the drive has reconized the empty dvd and acohol start burning, but it gives a write error and stoped. In 100 attempts it only recognize the blank dvd twice.

I´ve used a cleaning dvd, and i can say that the device has been used only a few times, because i have more computers and rarely use this to burn normal dvds.

I tried to connect the device as the primary idle master alone, with another as slave, as a secondary idle master, as a slave, etc,etc…

Sorry about my poor inglish, hope someone can help.

gsa4163B.txt (95.3 KB)

Maybe the LG 4163 does not recognize the media you are trying to use. Maybe its not in their firmware.

[QUOTE=xallamec;2001223]The info about the drive is in the txt file attached. The dvd + i try to copy is a tdk dvd+r 8x dl

the dvd i try to burn is a platinum dl dvd+r 8.5gb.

Some times the drive recognize the tdk dvd and i´ve been able to make a iso and a mdf image(one with nero another with alcohol)…but in major cases it just don´t recognize it. I have 2 lg dvd writers and none of them do the job. For 2 times the drive has reconized the empty dvd and acohol start burning, but it gives a write error and stoped. In 100 attempts it only recognize the blank dvd twice.

I´ve used a cleaning dvd, and i can say that the device has been used only a few times, because i have more computers and rarely use this to burn normal dvds.

I tried to connect the device as the primary idle master alone, with another as slave, as a secondary idle master, as a slave, etc,etc…

Sorry about my poor inglish, hope someone can help.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with what Alan said. Platinum aren’t the best discs anyway, and certainly not for DL media.

As for the drive not recognising the TDK +R DL for reading, I would suggest it’s because the drive doesn’t like them - my own 4163B was a very picky reader if the media wasn’t very good.

I would recommend Verbatim 2.4x +R DL, those should do the job nicely with that drive.

Yesterday i´ve update from firm 102 to 105…it read the source disc and give the related error when burning…them stop recognizing…today i update from 105 to 106 and the same has happened … works 2 or 3 times…and stoped…this is not a normal situation :confused:

Nevertheless if this is the best LG can do, i´de rather think change the devices i used (have 4 of them)

[QUOTE=xallamec;2001283]Yesterday i´ve update from firm 102 to 105…it read the source disc and give the related error when burning…them stop recognizing…today i update from 105 to 106 and the same has happened … works 2 or 3 times…and stoped…this is not a normal situation :confused:

Nevertheless if this is the best LG can do, i´de rather think change the devices i used (have 4 of them)[/QUOTE]

4163B’s are terrific burners, if you feed them good media. Also, since it’s an older model, the firmware won’t support today’s 8x DL media.

However, they don’t do well, reading or writing, with bad or mediocre stuff.

If you decide to contiue using the discs you have, then using a different drive would be a good idea. :wink:

Thanks all who tried to help me.

probably thats the problem, and you are rigth, but why every time i change the firm, or even if i change the cable from primary to secondary, or vice versa, it recognize the source dvd, let me install the program, let me make an iso (i did it again), let me explore the cd etc…if i put the blank cd and try to burn, it stops recognizing all, forever, until i do the trick again :confused: its simple not rational !!!

If you wanna use that DL media, just buy a new spankin burner.

Rational? The 4163 only supports DVD+R DL burning up to 4x DL media and you’re trying to use a 8x DL media. Think about it. Unless your media is identified in the firmware, you’ll never get that 8x DL media to work. Either get new drive or Verbatim 2.4x DL media.

What’s it been a year or more since LG brought out that A106 firmware?

Ok. Again, thanks you all.

the 106 firm is more than a year

i´m gona buy a lite-on…€26 and burn it all :slight_smile: