GSA-4163b don't recognize benq dvd disk

Hi,

I recently installed a LG GSA-4163b in my pc and I was able to burn several DVD using Benq DVD+R blank disk. Then the driver didn’t recognize this blank disk as valid, so I upgrade the firmware form 103 to 105, but the problem persists. I’m able to burn DVD+R from other maker (HP, TDK, Pengo, Verbatin, etc) but not with Benq anymore. I use this disk because of all that I have tested it, this is the only one that my DVD player seen to play (is an old one).

Thanks for any help.

Welcome :slight_smile:
Use DVD Identifier to produce reports about the working and non working Benq media.

First the new disk that don’t want to work :

[22:40:56] Waiting For Drive To Initialize Disc…
[22:41:15] ERROR : Unable To Initialize Disc In Time : Not ready - Logical unit not ready [02/04/00]

These is from the first that work and was able to burn :

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:DAXON-AZ2-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Daxon Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [DAXON]
Media Type ID : [AZ2]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
[Method 2 Might Not Always Detect All Speeds]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Try the bad disks on another burner.

I agree with ala : test the bad discs on another burner. It is probably that some of those discs are bad while others are ok. The only way to know for sure is to see if they can burn on another burner. Maybe you can pass a few of the bad discs to a friend of yours who has another burner and see if he can burn them.

I Was able to burn a couple of disk without any problem in a friend laptop. Here is the DVD identifier report:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:DAXON-AZ2-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Daxon Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [DAXON]
Media Type ID : [AZ2]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
[Method 2 Might Not Always Detect All Speeds]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I am having the same problem, and AZ2 is supposedly supported

DAXON-AZ2-00 is supported by the 4163B. Firmware support isn’t the issue.

Your problems could be caused by inconsistencies in the quality of the media. Some of their discs may work in one burner and not in others while some might work fine across the board. This can happen even with discs from the same spindle. There are other people who are having problems with this media on different drives. One has problems with the same BenQ media on a BenQ burner. Have a look at this thread for more on that.

Try using some other brand of media, preferably something decent like Verbatim/Mitsubishi, Taiyo Yuden, Sony or Ricoh. If you don’t run into problems with those then it is definitely the DAXON discs that are at fault.

I have a strange problem too with Benq +R media that is reported as Daxon A72. My Burner is an LG 4165B with the lastest firmware (L04). These blank discs and not deteted, but when I burn data on it with a different burner I can read the data when I put it back to my 4165B.

That is very strange