GSA-4163B Burner in a USB Enclosure

vbimport

I have just purchased a LG DVD Writer Model GSA-4163B that is in a USB 2 Enclosure, Cypress AT2LP RC42. I am running Windows XP Service Pack 2. I have set it up and it has been recognised as a USB Disk. Unfortunately, I cannot read or write to the disk. It is not even recognised by the file manager as a seperate drive. I have tried to populate the volume through device manager but it just says that the type is unkown and the drive is unreadable. I am all out of ideas. Any suggestions will be much appreciated

Hm. What does Nero CD Speed or Nero Burning Rom say when you press “Disc Info” or something like that? Did you insert a blank DVD media?

Welcome to LG forum. :slight_smile:

No program recognises the drive. It is not even recognised in file manager. I have placed a disc in the drive and nothing happens.

Did you insert a blank disk or a DVD-Video title disk?

Are you saying your OS can recognize the drive but nothing happens after you inserted a disk into the drive? What did you do after inserting the disk?

I inserted a blank disk and nothing happened. The OS recognises the burner in device manager under disk drives, usb drive. Nothing happens when I insert the disk. I have tried going into nero, but the disk is not there. I have had a look in file manager but the drive is not there.

If you insert a blank disk, it’s natural nothing happens unless you burn something onto it. Run Nero Burning Rom and press Ctrl+I. Capture what prompts and post the capture screen image here.

I cannot even choose the burner drive as a destination.

Steps I have taken to set up the burner

1. I connected the drive via the USB cable.
  2. The OS recognised the new hardware.
  3. It set up the USB Composite Device, The Human Interface device.
  4. It set up Cypress AT2LP RC42 and requested a driver.
  5. I installed the driver and it was installed as a USB Storage Controller AT
  6. The USB Disk was installed and is displayed in the device manager

Problem: The USB drive is not recognised or displayed in file manager. It is not displayed in any program.

I’m running Nero Burning Rom version 6.6.0.13. Update your Nero to the latest.

Can you post a screen capture of what your Device Manager looks like? Also what your drive/volume/letter list in “Windows Explorer” looks like. I mean where … (A:), … ©, … (D) appear.

c: Local Disk (Hard Drive)
d: DVD/CD-R (CD and DVD rom my internal one)
a: 3 1/4 floppy

I don’t have Office installed here at this moment but if there are only C:, A:, and D: for internal drives and nothing more, the USB controller chipset’s not correctly recognizing the USB-connected GSA-4163B. Try reinstalling the USB card itself if it’s an add-on PCI card connected to the external case. Are there other USB devices connected to the same USB connector and do they work well?

Normally, installing an HDD or ODD via USB is easy and trouble-free and should be easy to fix if there’s any conflict.

Sorry :bigsmile: I open the picture from office file

and this is the picture

Click next to the “DVD/CD-ROM drives” in Device Manager.

You have at least three devices which are not properly installed, clearly marked with a “?”.
Sometimes (not often) Windows XP does not allow any further device to be properly installed unless these conflicts have been resolved.

Sascha

I’ve the exactly SAME problem of this guy…
Any suggestion?
When i click on DVD/CD , it does’nt appear…
But “Usb Disk” appears on Disk Unities (in english i think…)

This may seem odd, but I have a Western Digital 80GB portable hard drive that’s about 2 months old. It worked like a dream until three days ago. Suddenly, instead of connecting my XP systems (I’ve tried it on 3 XP computers) ask for an installation disk for a Cypress AT2LP RC42. If that’s the identifier for the enclosure (as the above messages suggest) then they and I seem to have the same basic problem – the computer can’t get past the enclosure to reach the drive. Does that help anyone analyze the problem?

hi,
i have the same wd, and the same cypress problem;
have you found a solution ,

thank you

i 'm a french guy, and i try to find some help in the forum !

bye

Pierre :slight_smile:

Hi there, it’s a general problem of Cypress…
Cypress manufactures the most commonly used USB-2-IDE chips (usually AT2LP RC42). This chip seems to have a problem lately, since tons of external harddrives and burners etc. are stopping to work. Instead this chip is recognized by Windows as a new hardware. If it happened to you the first time you used the device, it’s easy, just return it and have them replace it with a new one.
I had the problem after using my 300 GB external Trekstor harddrive for 6 months…! And guess what, Trekstor doesn’t allow to open the housing and delete the confidential data, I would loose my warranty.
And since there’s no way I can give that data away, I’m screwed. The HDD inside is perfectly fine by the way. Of course I took it out to check if the backups are ok.
I hope this helps you a little
MK

I personally can’t complain about my both Cypress based enclosures. MY 5.25" is based on AT2 (68300A), my 3.5" has AT2LP (68300B). Both work fine with my drives.

I had the problem after using my 300 GB external Trekstor harddrive for 6 months…! And guess what, Trekstor doesn’t allow to open the housing and delete the confidential data, I would loose my warranty.
And since there’s no way I can give that data away, I’m screwed. The HDD inside is perfectly fine by the way. Of course I took it out to check if the backups are ok.
Then get another external case and put your HDD into that - and forget about that worthless warranty. Also put Trekstor onto your “Do not buy”-list :bigsmile:

Michael

Still no answer on this? Today my 5.25" USB enclosure is no longer seen by XP/SP2! Anyone ever find a solution? Tried XP’s auto install and drivers I downloaded from:

http://www.usbnews.net/news/drivers%20for%20usb%20drive%20enclosures.htm

Everything comes up as “Cannot Install this Hardware” in XP! When I bought the drive I didn’t have to install anything, Windows handled everything. I didn’t even know which chipset I had. Windows is now asking for Cypress AT2LP RC42 drivers!

Wow, the wonders of plug-n-play USB!

I have the same problem here. My external HDD failed 2 months ago with AT2LP RC42 error and yesterday the DVD writer (external) with same error.
This is becomming odd.