GSA-4163B and DVD+R problems

vbimport

Hello all.

I’ve had my LG GSA-4163B drive for about 4 years now, and until recently I’ve never had a problem with it.

I tried to burn to a Phillips DVD+R and all seemed to go smoothly as always, until I tested the disc. The drive began to read it, and my machine slowed to a crawl for about 5 minutes. After everything returned to “normal”, i tried accessing the disc and I just recieved a message telling me there was no disc in the drive.

This has happened about ten times now (I tested burning different things).

I’ve never had a problem with DVD+R before, and although I read somewhere that this drive has issues with certain brands of media, I figured Phillips would be fine (you know, big name brand, invented the things etc), in fact the first couple of times I burnt to one, it worked fine. But the thing is, I bought some really cheap CD-RW’s from a supermarket and they worked fine.

Does anyone have any idea’s? I dont want to buy a new batch of dvd’s, because I’ve got 200 of these things sat round, and i really don’t want to buy a new drive (despite them being cheaper than salt at the moment, I guess I’m just tight!! ).

Incase this helps, here’s my (rather old) system spec;

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
2GB RAM
ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe (Nforce2).
GeForce 6200

Windows XP SP3 + all other recent updates

Nero 8 (though I’ve also tried version 6, and alcohol, plus a whole bunch of freeware programs, all with the same effect).

Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Philips generally doesn’t make the discs. They brands media made by the actual manufacturers, and usually brand media made by CMC Magnetics. Now, while CMC Magnetics makes media for others [not with their own technology], their OWN discs aren’t always so good.

I suggest slowing down the write speed, if you haven’t already, to 8x or even 6x.

If that doesn’t work:
I suggest trying out a different brand, preferably Verbatim. Some Verbatim is made by CMC, but using Verbatim’s technology, so you don’t usually have to worry about quality issues. If that does work, return your discs. If that doesn’t work, post back.

If you have no way of returning the discs, go get another writer. The LG GSA-4163B requires pristine media, and is not the best drive for “sub-par” media such as your Philips. Suggested drives for writing “sub-par” media: LiteOn, Pioneer, or Optiarc.

Awh, I didn’t want to have to buy a new one!! :frowning: But, oh well. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the speedy reply. Yeah, I tried slowing the burn speed down. I never burn at full speed anyway because i’ve nearly always knackered the disc doing that (not just on this burner either).

I’ve no way of returning the discs, so I guess i’m dvd burner shopping tomorrow during lunch!!

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Now, make sure you just try one burn with the new drive, whatever it may be, and see if that works. If it doesn’t work, for whatever reason, you can probably return the new drive [though I wouldn’t recommend it for writing the media you have]. :slight_smile:

I’ll bear that in mind. :slight_smile:

Cheers again!!

The drive is kinda obsolete now.
Don’t expect it to work with latest media.