GSA-4160 Buffer too large error

Firstly, any help would be much appreciated.

Basically, I think my drive might be Kaput. About a year ago now, I bought the drive and all went swimmingly. When the A303 firmware upgrade was released, i updated, the drive starting burning considerably faster, and I was a happy chappy.
I’ve just formatted and reinstalled windows XP pro sp2, with nothing different than before. But now, still using nero 6 as I was before, when I attempt to burn a DVD, it doesnt even attempt to actually burn, but comes up with Buffer too large Error. So I went to look for firmware and found A306, but this won’t install at all (error 0000 0000 0000 0000). So now I’m stumped. Just for giggles, I tried to change the region code (5 tries remaining), and this won’t happen either. The drive still reads DVDs and CDs no problem. And Burns CDs no problem. I hope there is anything I can do, like a way to ‘reset’ the drive (I really have no idea). Please let me know either way.

Much Appreciated,
Stu

No additional sense information

When the error code is all zeros, there are many cases where the error code the drive produces is not received by the application due to an unstable connection or interference from running programs. If the problem is not solved when you try the suggested actions, get your drive checked.

1. Running Programs
    Make sure you quit all running background programs, such as anti-virus software.

Windows 95 Users
Use the Ctrl-Alt-Del function to quit all the programs using the Task Manager, EXCEPT for the Explorer, systray, and your recording software

Windows 98/ME Users
Select [Start] -> [Run], then input “msconfig”. Disable everything under the [Startup] tab, except "system tray’.

Windows 2000/XP Users
Open the Task Manager, then select the program/s under the [Application] tab, then click [End Task].

1. Drive Connection
    Other devices may be interfering with the CD-R/RW drive. Disconnect all other removable devices, then try recording again. If there is still a problem, try the following.

Optimal Hardware Configuration

All hard drives are placed on the Primary IDE, check that the drives are correctly set as master/slave. CD-ROM/CD-R/RW drives are placed on the Secondary IDE, set the recording drive as the “master”. If you are using a USB or IEEE devices, disconnect them.

Update your chipset

Windows 95/98/ME Users
Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on [Device Manager], then click to open [Hard Disk Controllers]. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, the Secondary IDE Channel controller and a brand name controller, e.g. Intel, SIS, VIA, etc. The brand name controller is what needs to be updated. Please visit their website to obtain these updates.

Windows NT/2000/XP Users
Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click [Device Manager] on the [Hardware] tab, then click to open the [IDE ATA/ATAPI (hard disk) controllers] section. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, Secondary IDE Channel controller, and a brand name controller, e.g. Intel, SIS, VIA, etc. The brand name controller is what needs to be updated. Please visit their website to obtain these updates.

Configure Windows
Make sure that your operating system has been fully updated. Visit the Microsoft website to acquire these updates.

1. ASPI Manager
    Check your ASPI layer configuration. Your recording program is likely to use the standard windows ASPI layer, which has been replaced by another ASPI layer of yet another recording program. Make sure you have the original windows ASPI layer in use and retry. If the problem persists, contact the drive maker.

1. Disc

Recording errors often occur when the disc is dirty, or has fingerprints or scratches. If an error occurred during test simulation (before actual recording), clean the disc. If you are getting recording errors, try the following.
Use a different blank, recordable disc.
Use a different manufacturer’s disc.
Ensure the disc is clean before recording:
Remove all fingerprints, dirt, and dust from the shiny side of your disc using a nonabrasive cloth with a mild, nonabrasive soap solution.
Wipe the disc from the center to the edge of the disc.
Dry the disc completely.

Error during file verification
If an error occurred when the files were being verified, record the same files again using a different disc.

Read error when copying a disc
When copying a disc, if an error occurred while reading data from the original disc, the original disc may be scratched or dirty.
Try cleaning the disc.
Remove all fingerprints, dirt, and dust from the shiny side of your disc using a nonabrasive cloth with a mild, nonabrasive soap solution.
Wipe the disc from the center to the edge of the disc.
Dry the disc completely.
Try using a different source drive.
To change the drive you use to read your disc, click the Change button when asked to insert a source disc into your drive tray.
Select the drive you wish to use from the drop-down menu.
Insert your disc into the new drive.
Try using copying the disc using one drive as both the source and destination drive.
When you use your recorder to both read and write to your disc, B’s Recorder GOLD creates an image file of the entire disc to your hard drive and then copies that temporary file onto your blank disc. This can be helpful if the drive you are using to read your original disc is slow or unreliable.

If the problem persists, contact the drive maker.

Use safe mode to flash your drive its much safer :clap:

Well thankyou for that. As soon as I read the bit about updating the ide controller, it clicked that I had done so before. I have updated it, and installed the A306 firmware.
Now to start some burning to free up my hard drive.
I’d be ‘lost’ without ‘family guy’! cough cough

Cheers Guys,