Gsa-4082b starting to have writing problems?

vbimport

I’v got this Lg gsa-4082b for, at least two years I think. But all of a sudden started to have reading errors after the writing. That’s what happened with two dvds, wich can be read by other device (sony dvdrom ddu 1615 in other pc). I’ve tried defragmentation of the hd, because someone told me so, and update of the firmware.
Then I burned another dvd with the same reading problem, but now, neither the sony can read it well. Not all the files in those dvds cannot be read, only a few. The writing process in Nero 6 finish successfully, the problem arises when it comes to read.
I have always used the same brand of blank dvds.
I have no problems to read old dvds nor cds of the same brand, only this 4 that I burned recently.
Do anyone knows if this problem can be fixed in some way or will I have to buy another dvdwriter?

Hi and Welcome!

well, there are two possible problems.
Either your drive is dying or you are using media that is not supported by your burner. In that case, a generic write strategy is used, that often results in discs that are difficult to read.
To sort out this issue, please run Nero CD/DVD Speed and insert one of those discs. You may also try a new of the same batch. Select the “Disc Info” tab and post the information, that is given there. Also tell us, what brand of discs you are using.
If you don’t like Nero CD/DVD Speed, you can also use DVD Identifier for that purpose.

Michael

Thanks for your answer Michael.
This is a blank dvd of the same batch. I don’t remember if the brand is Ridata or Imation, it have white painted surface and no marks at all.

Manufacturer : RITEKG05
Code : -
Disc Type : DVD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : -
Recording Speed : 4 X - 8 X
Capacity : 4.38 GB
4707321856 Bytes
Additional Capacity : -
Overburn Capacity : -

Hi,

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

This is a blank dvd of the same batch. (…)

Manufacturer : RITEKG05

OUCH! :a

Okay. This media is supported at least with firmware A206 and newer. Latest firmware is A209.
The bad news: Ritek G05 is known to degrade fast, so you shouldn’t use that media for important data.

Please try other media and see if the problem still exists. I’d recommend considering buying a new drive on the long run, as there isn’t much media available, that is supported by this drive. Any 16x media will not work properly.

Michael

I’ve tried these two:
1-
Manufacturer : SONY16D1
Code : -
Disc Type : DVD-ROM (Book Type: DVD-R)
Recording Speed : 2 X - 4 X

This finished with no errors in Nero, but with the same problems of the RITEKG05

2-
Manufacturer : Verbatim
Code : MCC 003
Disc Type : DVD+R
Recording Speed : 4 X - 8 X
Capacity : 4.38 GB
4700375040 Bytes
Additional Capacity : -
Overburn Capacity : -

This had error in Nero.

Is my drive dying now? :frowning:
Weird, because yestarday I made a backup of an audio cd and had no problems at all.

Hi,

the Sony disc is not supported by your drive, but the Verbatim is.
Maybe you can post the Nero log (if there are burning errors), but remove the serial from it.

It is not impossible, that the drive is dying, you might try to clean and regrease the drive. There is a very useful link in the FAQ.
As there is a separate laser unit for CD operation, this might not be affected.

Michael

Thanks a lot :clap: My drive is back to work again.
The error was “focus or tracking error”. It was the first time that this message appeared. I did what this link says and the problem is gone.
:flower: