GSA-2164D Need some help

Model: GSA-2164D<o:p></o:p>
Ver: 1.01<o:p></o:p>
Man: Nov 2005
<o:p></o:p>
So I have had the drive for about 2 years now and about 2 months ago I started getting problems with it.

1st it wouldn’t burn discs anymore. DVD DL, DVD SL , CDs whatever it wouldn’t burn anything. I would get the burn ready in Nero and hit burn and it just opens the tray saying "please insert disk.

So I tried getting new USB drivers for my board and trying different USB ports. Nothing worked. The drive had been working fine up until then.

So about 2 weeks ago I did a wipe and reinstall of windows, so I figured I would give this thing another go. Needless to say it still is not working. I have even tried it on different PCs and it still doesn’t want to work.

So as of right now it will not burn nor read anything I put into it. Normally I would write it off as a bad drive.

However it seems all the Nero tests and drive utilities I run come up with nothing and as far is the programs know everything is working fine.

What gives? Anyone run into problems like this? Why would a drive just stop working? Is it just a crappy drive model?
<o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]

Hi and Welcome!

I’s suspect your drive is dead.
Software can’t detect certain hardware defects and will report “no problem”.
You might try if cleaning the lens and regreasing helps. If it doesn’t, you have to buy a new drive.
This drive series isn’t known for reliability, many of them (including internal versions 4166/4164 went bad.

Michael

alright I figure as much … funny how I have an old Matisha 2x CDRW from 1995 is still going strong but some of these new drives don’t last more then a few years. Thanks for the reply.