Gs0a<>gs0c difference?

Hi,

is there somebody able to tell me what is the difference between unofficial gs0a and official gs0c?

I used my 451@851 with gs0a and everything was fine. Then I loaded the new gs0c and the scan results of KProbe were worse.
Using gs0a I had PImax 300 an POmax 20 at worst. Using gs0c the values rose up to PImax 600-800 and POmax 40-50. I use still the same media Verbatim +R @8x or Imation +R @8x. Both are originally labeled as 4x, but allow burning @ 8x.

Thanks.

Geby

mileage varies…
I got PI > 300 or worse with GS0A, and got PI 5 - 50 with GS0C. note that mine is a modded 451S@851S

I got better burns with GSOA. So I think the result may vary for individual DVD-ReWriter.

My drive is 451@851.

Originally posted by joj
[B]I got better burns with GSOA. So I think the result may vary for individual DVD-ReWriter.

My drive is 451@851. [/B]

x2

also, burns with gs0c would skip horribly using +r, with gs0a, they don’t.

I got pretty good scans with GS0C (I have a 451@851). Had a recent 8x burn (RICOHJPNR01, made in Taiwan) that scanned with an average of < 10 PI and < 1 PO.

Seems like, from what I’ve read, there are people who have had terrible results with the GS0C, and there are those who have been more fortunate and got great scans with the GS0C. My recommendation is that you try out GS0C and see for yourself. :slight_smile:

Exactly. There is really no “best” firmware out there. The best way to see what works best for you with your drive and media is to test it out. :iagree:

To save some $$$, one may use a RW disc to made burn. Do a KProbe scan and save the first result.

Then change fw and use the same RW disc to made another burn. Do another KProbe scan and compare the results, then you would have an idea on the choice of fw.:slight_smile:

Originally posted by joj
[B]To save some $$$, one may use a RW disc to made burn. Do a KProbe scan and save the first result.

Then change fw and use the same RW disc to made another burn. Do another KProbe scan and compare the results, then you would have an idea on the choice of fw.:slight_smile: [/B]

this is a good idea :slight_smile:
but i don’t have any RW :sad:

Originally posted by joj
[B]To save some $$$, one may use a RW disc to made burn. Do a KProbe scan and save the first result.

Then change fw and use the same RW disc to made another burn. Do another KProbe scan and compare the results, then you would have an idea on the choice of fw.:slight_smile: [/B]

IMO I don’t think that will work, because different media prefers different f/w (from what I have seen so far)…not to mention RW is different from R.