Group claims Linux advance on Xbox, no mod-chip needed anymore

I just posted the article Group claims Linux advance on Xbox, no mod-chip needed anymore.

gmgriot used our news submit to tell us that an Australian company claims it is possible to run
unsigned software on the Xbox without a mod-chip. Currently a project is running
to enabled the…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/6147-Group-claims-Linux-advance-on-Xbox--no-mod-chip-needed-anymore.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/6147-Group-claims-Linux-advance-on-Xbox--no-mod-chip-needed-anymore.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

said group gets X dollars from microsoft, and goes home.

Or said group does not get X dollars from microsoft and microsoft goes somewhere… :slight_smile:

Can someone explain the difference between what these folks are doing and blackmail?

It is blackmail

Blackmail…no…extortion…er maybe If this is what it takes to make giant corporations comply with my right to make backups of legitimate software and run said backup on a platform of my choice then…go for it !..:X

if a small modification is still needed, then how is this different from the 007/mechassault hack?

Sherrif … Should be interesting to see how MS deals with this “situation”. I hope the hackers have plenty of money to defend themselves from Redmond. Linux and hackers, Billy don’t like 'em.

Sherrif, that’s not even what they’re after…they just want Linux on the XBox.

… just want linux on the xbox … Yeah, right. And Santa Claus is alive and well. Like everybody else theyre in it for the money.

I think you guys got it all wrong. Here is what is going on. This group has found a way that you can run Linux on a Xbox without modding it, and it is not the 007Saved game hack either, it is suppose to be this new code that they probebly force feed the xbox and make it do what ever they want. Now what they are trying to do is make Microsoft Sign Linux software for the xbox, basicly MS will have to give the Xbox-Linux project a Key that will allow it to run on a unmodded xbox just like any retail game would. Now if MS does not help Linux by giving it a Key to run on the xbox, then this groups says it will release its version of Linux that you can put on a CD, put in a Unoppend Xbox that is not modded in any way and run linux on it. This would be bad because that code that they have will then be stolen and released for Xbox games, so that you would be able to put that code on a DVD-R with the Xbox game and play it on a Unmodded xbox. This group is not blackmailing at all, they are just saying that Linux will run on a unmodded xbox, and if MS wants to help they have the opertunity now, but if they don;t it would make Xbox game piracy a lot easier. Kinda like the Dreamcast if anyone ever had one of those, how you could play copied games without having to install any kind of modchip.

I think YOU don’t know whats going on. Did you even read the article? You said… “Now if MS does not help Linux by giving it a Key to run on the xbox, then this groups says it will release its version of Linux that you can put on a CD, put in a Unoppend Xbox that is not modded in any way and run linux on it.” And the Article says… “If genuine, the exploits would let anyone with even a slight technical knowledge “reflash” the Xbox BIOS, allowing users to pirate games. The only hardware modification necessary is a dollop of solder on the write-enable pads on the motherboard.” :d

Read the whole news on the source (www.news.com) and you’ll see that CDfreaks completely twisted it. Cafrow is right.

i think u need to re read cafrow is wrong cdfreaks and nyarrgh are right u still need to open the xbox and the only difference between this and the 007 mechassault hack is u dont need the games just the dash

1. It’s not an Australian Company that claims it. 2. Muir says ‘it would let ppl reflash their TSOP’ but it’s not necesarry to do. 3. Did I mention this news was already old when it appeared on this site?
    [edited by Orgasmatron on 02.07.2003 15:20]

I’d only want to use the xbox as a media player {Divx (S)VCD DVD.ISO & MP3 player} Also who will get the prize money for the unmoded xbox running Linux? Will Microsoft get the check? That would be funny. If I was Microsoft I’d setup a meeting with the group then have them all arrested & killed (make it look like an accident)

Arrested for what? For showing M$ where they failed? I don’t think Michael Robertson will have to give any money to his rival, M$ will never sign a Linux bootloader, unlike Sony did.

Arrested for what? For showing M$ where they failed? For breaking the DMCA, working on breaking copy protection, OR perhaps along the lines of the guy working on making a DirecTV hacking device (he did not even finished whatever it was) that was a US law some thing to do with corporate espionage. I could not find the link on google there are 600+ lawsuits going on from directv so it’s hard to find the one I’m looking for.

Since when do US laws count worldwide? Every1, read http://www.xboxhacker.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=12&t=12004 and see I was right after all, claiming you wouldn’t need to solder anything in the XBox.
[edited by Orgasmatron on 04.07.2003 00:21]

I wish the people of earth would tell the US government to go to hell, but the corporations that run the US Gov. also own/run the rest of the world, so the crazy laws (DMCA) that get beta tested in the land of the free are soon exported to the rest of the corporate nations of the world. Globalization brings many banking and intellectual property laws to the rest of the world. I only wonder who will we (the US) will invade because of there stance on P2P file sharing networks.