Ground hog sees his shadow

GUY’S
Here we go again another groundhog day. The good news
he saw his shadow which means a longer winter. This is
good for states like ours [CALIFORNIA] which are in drought
right now. The bad news brother AL GORE plans to roast him
for not getting with the global warming program.
ZAP.:bigsmile::bow:

[QUOTE=zap em;2211153]The good news
he saw his shadow which means a longer winter. This is
good for states like ours [CALIFORNIA] which are in drought
right now.[/QUOTE]Have you figured out how your going to spend your state IOU refund check yet?

No shadows here this mornin’.

BOB
Sure after I send the state controller my IOU tax payment.
[but what about the grounhog]?
ZAP.:bigsmile::bigsmile:

And yes, groundhogs really look like that… through the 20x scope on my varmint rifle… atleast until the bullet arrives… then it looks like something from “Saving Private Ryan”

But I cannot imagine how it saw it’s shadow, it’s been overcast all day here in PA.

AD

I watched the ceremony this morning on television about 7:00-7:30 am EST and the sun was shining at that point.

IMO. Winter should burn (no really, because then it would be warm).

I blame the sun for this extended winter… I would suggest we just blow the damn thing up, but then again my solution may be a slight overreaction.

(not to mention it would make this “cold” issue only worse).

This thread just begs for a Gorarcle comment. Must… Resist… The… Urge…

What is a “Gorarcle comment”?

As a side note I don’t blow up those critters for my amusement.
a friend has a 1200acre commercial orchard and those damned rodents like chewing on the bark of the trees… and they can only reach so high so they move around…

My friend often waits 5 years before a new tree really starts producing and expects to get another 5-8 years of production out of it, and those rodents chewing the bark and the sap wood underneath KILL a tree worth a couple thousand dollars, just by eating a handful of bark.

AD

I’ll assume you don’t get the “Goracle” part. It is a combination of the words Gore (as in Al Gore) and oracle. With the groundhog predicting another six weeks of winter it might start cutting into the Goracle’s carbon offset scheme that is making him millions and millions and dollars. There are lots of jokes to be made from this.

I grew up in the Midwest and the groundhogs aren’t a farmer’s best friend there either. It is one of the reasons you see a rifle sitting in the gun rack of many of their pickup trucks.

I’d welcome some rain around here…

UTR: Pleeeeeeeease! The reason farmers have guns in their pickup truck is because they’re rednecks, not shooting pests in the field!

[QUOTE=Randomus;2211769]UTR: Pleeeeeeeease! The reason farmers have guns in their pickup truck is because they’re rednecks, not shooting pests in the field![/QUOTE]

You aren’t around many farmers. Just because there is a rifle in the rear window of your pickup truck doesn’t mean you are a farmer, or a redneck for that matter. Don’t believe everything the far left liberals tell you. :wink:

[QUOTE=UTR;2211816]You aren’t around many farmers. Just because there is a rifle in the rear window of your pickup truck doesn’t mean you are a farmer, or a redneck for that matter. Don’t believe everything the far left liberals tell you. ;)[/QUOTE] Oh please, don’t even try to bring in political stance into this. :confused:

I used to live in a town of less than 1,500 people that was a suburb of a “big” town of 30,000 people (about 20 miles away). I’ve known plenty of farmers, rednecks, and hunters, and was around plenty of people who drove pickup trucks with gun racks. They did it because they were rednecks, not because they were going to go clear their back yard of critters. :disagree: :wink:

I’m not throwing out the idea of a few of them actually shooting critters on their land, but that isn’t what the gun racks were for, I noticed. It was a status symbol more than anything…

[QUOTE=Randomus;2211833]Oh please, don’t even try to bring in political stance into this. :confused:[/QUOTE]

What was the redneck comment about then? Maybe I misunderstood your meaning. Having a rifle in a gun rack doesn’t stereotype you as anything, IMO.

[QUOTE=Randomus;2211833]I used to live in a town of less than 1,500 people that was a suburb of a “big” town of 30,000 people (about 20 miles away). I’ve known plenty of farmers, rednecks, and hunters, and was around plenty of people who drove pickup trucks with gun racks. They did it because they were rednecks, not because they were going to go clear their back yard of critters. :disagree: ;)[/QUOTE]

I grew up in a county that had less than 20,000 people in it and it wasn’t a small sized one either. I don’t know many farmers or others that did it for a status symbol. Some did it for protection, some for hunting on the fly, some for shooting varmints and a very, very few to show off. Showing off never went over well where I grew up. Maybe your part of the country is different.

[QUOTE=Randomus;2211833]I’m not throwing out the idea of a few of them actually shooting critters on their land, but that isn’t what the gun racks were for, I noticed. It was a status symbol more than anything…[/QUOTE]

This isn’t true where I grew up and spent the first 22 years of my life. I rarely see gun racks here in the outskirts of Washington, DC, or anywhere for that matter. If I do then it is usually from people visiting the area from the outlying rural parts of the state. In the rural parts of the country having a rifle handy can be more then justified and it is almost never to just show off.

[QUOTE=Randomus;2211833]…I’ve known plenty of farmers, rednecks, and hunters, and was around plenty of people who drove pickup trucks with gun racks. They did it because they were rednecks, not because they were going to go clear their back yard of critters.[/QUOTE]
Two of our vehicles have gun racks and last time I check I wasn’t a redneck…

[QUOTE=Randomus;2211833]I’m not throwing out the idea of a few of them actually shooting critters on their land, but that isn’t what the gun racks were for, I noticed. It was a status symbol more than anything…[/QUOTE]
Our gun racks are technically fishing rod racks so the critters are safe and there’s no symbolism involved…

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2211858]Two of our vehicles have gun racks and last time I check I wasn’t a redneck…[/QUOTE]

There are far fewer true rednecks than many people believe. The people that live in the country are some of the most tolerant people I know. I never remember the mosques, synagogues, etc. in the Midwest being targeted for anything while I lived there and this goes all the way back to the 1960s. I have lived in both areas, rural and city, and the people in the area I live now, the Washington, DC suburbs, are far more unforgiving, judgmental, temperamental, less helpful to their neighbors etc. than where I grew up.

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2211858]Our gun racks are technically fishing rod racks so the critters are safe and there’s no symbolism involved…[/QUOTE]

Careful, PETA might not agree that fishing rods are safe for the critters. :wink:

[QUOTE=UTR;2211916]…I have lived in both areas, rural and city, and the people in the area I live now, the Washington, DC suburbs, are far more unforgiving, judgmental, temperamental, less helpful to their neighbors etc. than where I grew up.[/QUOTE]
To quote Robert Earl Keen, “I only use my gun when kindness fails”…