Grokster and Morpheus win lawsuit, file-swapping tools are legal

vbimport

News from April 27th? Whoa.

I just posted the article Grokster and Morpheus win lawsuit, file-swapping tools are legal.

kamikazee and  onlinetracker used our news submit to tell us that file sharing  networks Grokster and Morpheus have won a lawsuit from the music and move  industry. The judge declared...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5793-Grokster-and-Morpheus-win-lawsuit-file-swapping-tools-are-legal.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5793-Grokster-and-Morpheus-win-lawsuit-file-swapping-tools-are-legal.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Looking good :d:p The music industry will someday learn that the only way they can get their customers is to offer their customers what they want: low price unrestricted albums. Example: Many supermarkets stock the top chart albums and if they are cheap enough, like many other of the shop’s groceries, many would not think twice of popping an album or two in their shopping cart :wink: Then the music industry can really watch their sales grow again and start forgetting about piracy. Then most shoppers would say: what’s the point of downloading poor quality MP3’s (like going for ‘cheap’ generic brand groceries), as for a few quid like the branded groceries, they can get a good quality official copy. With the current pricing, many people don’t even want to enter a music store, are affraid of looking at the album chart due to the over-priced albums and many are even scared to purchase them as their CD player may not tolerate the copy protections. Don’t the music industry every learn??? :S
[edited by seanbyrne on 26.04.2003 00:21]

Too true:)

News from the FUTURE! I’m a time traveller too. Alllllright!

I’ve been saying that since the dawning of the issue of music/movie piracy. Lower the price and you’ll get back some [not all of course] of the customers who found salvation in music P2P solutions. Ah. There will never be a real, hardcore solution to piracy other than the entire rebuilding of modern ethics and morality, but, you can soften the damage by giving us what we are demanding. Low Priced, Reasonably high quality CD’s and DVD’s that we can make copies of so our originals are always available. A product like a CD/DVD shouldn’t be susceptible to scratches, and then not be free to replace, I’ve never seen it happen that a company replaces a scratched CD for free, let alone a DVD. Anyway, that judge will probably never view another Music or Movie related trial for the rest of his career.

I’ve heard “There is no silver bullet” as a phrase for everything from piracy to runs in stockings [I’m an information broker, I hear a lot of garbage] but there is one silver bullet to ending a way of life, and thats to counter the opinions of the money makers and direction takers.

yyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh just need this to happen about 50 more time and we win

the problem is when they appeal and kill the network upkeepers by paperwork. it’s happened before. also, i evaluated my music collection at the riaa’s cost of 150000 per song. My hard drive is worth almost half a billion dollars! yay! and its legit! where do i cash it in at?

rats, only about 315 mil here.

Do you mean to tell me that someone forgot to pay off the law man?!? Oh my, and could this actually be a victory for the artists?!?

If sanity and reason prevail this won’t be the only slap in the face these industries get…:X

Yep ! A post from the future. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would love to find out judges E-Mail and send him a nice thankyou letter.

If you read the whole article you’ll notice that it says "Napster’s service opened itself to liability for its users’ actions by actively playing a role in connecting people who were downloading and uploading songs–a little like a physical swap meet provides the facilities for people exchanging illegal material, the judge said. By contrast, Grokster and Streamcast distributed software to people and had no control over what their users did afterwards, Wilson said. " On other words it wasn’t legal because it had a central server, and napster was in control of its software. Isn’t this sort of like saying, it’s ok to create cocaine as long as you have no control over it once it leaves your hands. The software does the exact same thing. Its either legal or it’s not. Just because the software was coded in a different way doesn’t change anything. It should all be legal. And napster didn’t have control of their network. They tried to implement filters. It didn’t work. It was the same as if the people that set up the swap meet were beat, tied up, and locked in the cloest, and everybody traded what they wanted.
[edited by chsbiking on 26.04.2003 17:32]

They can say the software provider is the central key for every cause because if you kill the server list, there won’t be servers. There are always up-to-date server lists implemented into their program. Compare to Napster, it has few servers but linked to each other. This makes no difference. Those bastards would again bring it on and on until we lose.

/me looks on the date… hmm :slight_smile: I like this news.

Keep in mind that the napster servers were killed but some people went on using napster. When the central servers went down, decentralized servers went up. The central servers had nothing to do with the usability of napster.

Hmm, allright, let’s see. I have 5637 Full Albums and Selections; that means exactly 502 MP3 Cds at the moment. Given an approximate amount of 120 songs per MP3 CD, well, 60240 songs. OK, now multiplied by $150000 that gives $9 036 000 000. Not bad. Not bad at all :slight_smile: I am listening to an awful amount of music. My company is paying $4000 a month for original Audio CDs which I convert to MP3s. I am a part of the company and I am making LEGAL copies of the CDs. So as far as I am concerned, RIAA could kiss err, “my precious” :+

the record companies can offer us DVD audio in 24/96 5.1 & 24/192 dvd-a quality with a video to go along with every song - then i’d buy it. as well, it wouldnt be a bad idea for a band to offer a cd with a key to download thier documented recorded concerts in a format like mp3 that would be secure for them (unless we crack that too) - any incentive to EXPAND the media product for purchase to make it ‘more’ than just an mp3 or audio selection - records on vinyl offered audio only song selections - then they took the $1.00 “45 rpm” single away (with 2 songs on it) so we made a similar digital version of the “one song” concept: mp3 files - the downloaded mp3 is as fun, simple & as cheap as a 45 rpm - the big corporations can offer, due to technology, an huge multimedia package for sale of an artist but they dont (yet) - as long as they offer us only a optical-digital version of a old-style record album, we will continue to download mp3’s without guilt…or maybe as long as we can use filesharing for any file, we will never buy anything thats available on the filesharing network - by the way - can i borrow your Aerosmith album? I want to tape it. Thanx dude.

there is a flaw in your analogy. The difference here is that it is still illegal to create the cocaine. The cocaine in this analogy is the illegally copied music, not the software. The software is the legally manufactured car that the illegal cocaine is transported across the border in, or the coat pocket of the drug dealer. There is still a flaw in this analogy as well though, because the cocaine is completely illegal as both in the posession of the dealer AND the buyer. The music may or not be illegal in the original swapper’s hands. Ah, but the trade is (can be) also illegal.

What’s all the fuss? When I was younger we had cassette recorders to do what is called the ‘dirty work’ of copying music…so we could listen to music in our cars from the album we had purchased, now we are computerized, digitalized and internet worldwide and this explosion is costing more than before?-because we don’t have to buy the album first? Makes sense… Piracy and greed, greed and piracy, it seems to me that these two words run hand in hand! If we download and love it and do not purchase we are forgetting about the artist when we take what is not ours! We are complimenting the artist if we listen to his/her/it’s (Marilyn Manson) songs and buy the album if we like it…in other words, downloading should be used as a tool and not a prop! I know the industry is out of control but the cost of doing business and what are the artists’ needs (never demands unless they are rock ‘gods’) COSTS MONEY!!! Who are we cheating? We are cheating ourselves for without support of the artists’s they would be a dying breed!!! In support of downloading we can weed out the non-artists that the record companies tries to shove down our throats!!! We can have a say on what we want to hear… I am for backups of what we own, don’t get me wrong, I have kids who happen to like what I do and vise-versa, but don’t cheat the artist, support them as much as possible, for they are the ones who motivate and implant ideas into our fertile minds and it helps us feel good, like someone out there does understand how we feel, thanks M&M! “…it is not the spoon that bends…” No one wins if it is all greed!:X