Grinding Sounds from Samsung S182D

Hi. I have a Samsung S182D and I have noticed a grinding sound coming from my burner when I burn a disc. The disc seems to burn just fine, but I can’t imagine that the sound is supposed to happen. It seems to happen when the disc stops spinning. Is this burner on the way out or is there something I can do to get it to stop making that sound. Further, how can I be sure that the disc is burning correctly besides if it works on the disc drive?

Sorry for the bump, but I’m hoping someone might have an answer. I’m hoping that the drive has an easy (and inexpensive) fix.

Hi,

seems as if no one has an idea.
Some questions that might help to narrow down the issue:
Is the drive still under warranty?
Did you have that sound from the beginning?
Also, do you have that sound with all media, you are burning?

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2043042]Hi,

seems as if no one has an idea.
Some questions that might help to narrow down the issue:
Is the drive still under warranty?
Did you have that sound from the beginning?
Also, do you have that sound with all media, you are burning?

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thanks for checking in. I don’t know if the warranty is still valid. I don’t think it would be since I have had the drive since January of 2007. I don’t think that I kept the invoice since everything was working fine. The sound didn’t appear until recently. I have burned discs with Sony and Taiyo Yuden. Both discs have made the sound.

Do you notice the sound the entire time you are burning the disk, or only near the end, either when it’s almost finished burning, or almost finished verifying? Since the drive is out of warranty, you might consider updating it by cross-flashing it into an OEM Samsung TS-H652D.

[QUOTE=negritude;2047673]Do you notice the sound the entire time you are burning the disk, or only near the end, either when it’s almost finished burning, or almost finished verifying? Since the drive is out of warranty, you might consider updating it by cross-flashing it into an OEM Samsung TS-H652D.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m noticing the sound intermittently throughout the burn, but prominently when it is almost done burning.

[QUOTE=Curious D;2053899]…but prominently when it is almost done burning.[/QUOTE]

I think that’s normal. I’ve seen that on other 182D drives, but they seem to work fine otherwise.

Also, firmware SB07 is out for the 182D, so try upgrading and see if it goes away, before trying the cross-flash to an H652D.

Hi,[quote=negritude;2057768]… before trying the cross-flash to an H652D.[/quote]since there are zillions of TS-H652D drives with different OEM firmwares out there, you should not forget to mention that you are referring to TS-H652D [B]KC03 [/B]firmware from Samsung [I]Korea [/I]website :slight_smile:

Michael

Thanks for the replies. Since my initial post in April, I have come to realize that the grinding noise may be from the disc slowing down. As the disc spins at top speed, the noise isn’t heard. However, as the disc slows down to a stop, I think what I am hearing is the jittering or wobbling of the disc (like a top that wobbles as it slows down to a stop). I am now wondering if that is what people refer to as “jitter” when burning. Does it affect the quality of the burn? If so, is there a way to remedy the situation (besides buying a new drive)? Thanks.