Great burner (in nero quality test) is going haywire

I have an LG burner that’s had great (compared to my samsung) scores in the nero quality test tool. Now, whenever I use it, cpu usage goes up to 50%, and the write buffer fluctuates every second, from 30-95%. Before it was stable at 93-95. It’s also saying its burning at 1.5x, burns are taking about 40 mins. I’ve changed nothing, used no different media, not even a different spindle, before this happening. Taskman is not reporting anything as using up the CPU.

Nero quality test says the burns are just fine, 10x better than the same burn on my samsung - which sucks as this has been my “A1” burner for over a year now. The samsung is pretty awful with PI errors - averaging 70-200, and they can spike throughout the check. PI failures are only slightly higher. Still, I do not want to use the samsung due to having the LG churning out better burns (thought I haven’t had any read problems with discs done with the samsung, with only a few exceptions). I don’t really want to restart ATM as I finally had a seed come online for a torrent I’ve been waiting weeks for, and IIRC you can’t reinstall nero without restarting. What should I do?

Bonus Q: As long as pi FAILURES are only slightly worse, does this mean the disc is just as good, or do both errors and failures have to be top-notch? I’ve never really understood this…

I suggest you read this thread:

Troubleshooting: Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x

and also this article:

DMA reverts to PIO

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2119552]I suggest you read this thread:

Troubleshooting: Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x

and also this article:

DMA reverts to PIO

Welcome to CDFreaks! :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the welcome. I’ll wait until I restart to test all that - what are your opinions on my lack of understanding of PI errors/failures?

EDIT: Wow, my burner changed itself to PIO only, and I can’t get it back to DMA (short of following your above steps)! Never seen that happen!

@ hxclespaulplayer,

Downloading a Torrent File and performing Burning Tasks at the same time and expecting quality error free Burning results is an unrealistic expectation.

All background multitasking (Torrent Downloading) should be curtailed during Burning operations.

Regards,
bjkg