Graphics direct from motherboard

Can I run more than one monitor directly from the motherboard’s USB ports…
The motherboard I have in mind the MSI H55 GD85

(I see they do make a USB to VGA adapter for about £25
which is a lot cheaper than a £200 multi port graphics card…)

It is not for gaming or anything requiring hi end graphics just for the odd photo and text

Hi,

how many monitors do you want to attach?
Simple VGA cards and onboard video allow connecting two monitors (at least one via DVI or HDMI and one via VGA). You need at least one monitor attached to such a conventional graphics adapter.

If you want to learn more about these USB adapters, please read here: http://displaylink.com/technology_overview.php

Michael

Not sure how many it depends on whether I can use the USB’s I know I have two with the DVI and VGA but may want to use more at least another two.
I cannot afford to buy a multi port graphics card they are way out of my league.
So back to the original qustion how many can I use via USB before I cook the mb

[QUOTE=glenvern;2562794]
So back to the original qustion how many can I use via USB before I cook the mb[/QUOTE]I hope this question is covered in one of the displaylink articles I pointed to.

Michael

Hi Michael
Thanx for the response. I did look at the DisplayLink article but couldn’t see any reference to how many USB’s I can use at any one time.

It would appear the Graphics card is no longer required if I am reading it correctly.

Having said that what sort of quality does the mother board graphics produce?

The MB I intend using is i5 quality.

[QUOTE=glenvern;2562794]Not sure how many it depends on whether I can use the USB’s I know I have two with the DVI and VGA but may want to use more at least another two.
I cannot afford to buy a multi port graphics card they are way out of my league.
So back to the original qustion how many can I use via USB before I cook the mb[/QUOTE]

Can’t afford you do know GPU have been coming out with two display ports for some time and they come from cheap to inexpensive to way expensive. So there is no reason why you can’t purchase a simple GPU that will fit your purchase range. All that money your going to spend on USB would better be spent on a better SLI GPU setup that is inexpensive and better investment.

Perhaps you could point me in the direction of these GPU’s I can’t find anything suitable in my price range.

and my question was how many can I run via USB?

[QUOTE=glenvern;2562800]Hi Michael
Thanx for the response. I did look at the DisplayLink article but couldn’t see any reference to how many USB’s I can use at any one time. [/quote]
http://displaylink.com/common_questions.php

How many USB monitors can be supported by a single PC?
A typical PC can run up to six monitors. The exact number depends on the type of content being displayed.

It would appear the Graphics card is no longer required if I am reading it correctly.
You need at least one monitor connected to a conventional VGA card (or integrated video).

Having said that what sort of quality does the mother board graphics produce?
The MB I intend using is i5 quality.
Better than any USB solution. Please not that starting with Intels “i” Series, the VGA subsystem is part of the CPU. Unfortunately (thanks to Intel marketing) not all i5 CPUs come with integrated video. And of course you need motherboard support also.

Some additional word about these USB video solutions:
These are combined hard- and software solutions. The more of these systems are attached, the more this will affect overall system performance.

Michael

Good displaylink article thanks.

I have spotted a dual vga card, I assume it will suffice to enable me to use the usb’s.

I suppose I should now go and find out if my choice of i5 does do integrated video… (if it doesn’t does that mean I get poorer quality video from the motherboard?)

Thanks again…

[QUOTE=glenvern;2562973]
I suppose I should now go and find out if my choice of i5 does do integrated video… (if it doesn’t does that mean I get poorer quality video from the motherboard?)[/QUOTE]No, you don’t get any video at all unless you install a VGA card. Also your motherboard must be prepared to support integrated video (in case you can get a i5 with IGP). You should read your motherboard’s manual and check the manufacturer’s support website for compatibility information.

Additionally, you may not be able to use IGP (integrated video) and an add-on VGA card together. Perhaps this is only a driver/software issue. I am not sure about that, but it is better you check this before you go shopping.

Michael

I seem to have opened a can of worms for myself…

I think I will get the cheapest graphics card I can find and see what happens…

Now I think I’ll go and have a headache…

thanks for you time Michael cheers…

Perhaps you consider a somewhat lower specced motherboard which allows you to make use of the internal VGA offered by many i5 processors.

Michael

I have got the two displays up and running now (no graphics/video card installed)

1. from MB vga
  2. from USB adapter

My problem now is jerky movement when I use both screens.
Would I be better off using a dual VGA card or would I still get jerky movement?

and do you know what is causing this jerky movement?

Hi,

on that USB thingy, I’d indeed expect problems with movements. No idea if that affects the VGA display also.
And about the VGA card - doesn’t your motherboard have a second monitor connector (DVI, HDMI) also? I’d then go this route instead of a VGA card.

Michael

Yes MB does have DVI & HDMI I have a DVI/VGA adapter but can’t get it in not enough room with the VGA plugged in, monitors don’t have HDMI sockets.

I expect I might have to bite the bullet and buy a Video card but I still cant be sure it won’t be any different to what I got already and that would really p… me off.

Anyway thanx for taking the time …cheers

Unless you want to play games, any VGA card in the 30-60 EUR (or USD) price range should do. But make sure you can connect analog monitors (using DVI-VGA adapters). That means, you need functional DVI-I connectors on the card.

Michael

That’s what I thought ‘any card’ so I bought a dual VGA ATI Radeon7000 with the rest of the components
but when installed it was not compatible with Windows 7? That’s what prompted me to go down the adapter route.
which worked but jerky, so now it’s back to the cards again…

Think I will have to take a trip to the shops and see what it says on the tin…

Hm. Radeon 7000 is fossile hardware. The guy who sold you that card should be punished :wink:

I was thinking of something more recent, like Radeon 4xxxx or 5xxx series, alternatively Nvidia 2xx or 3xx series. Within these series, the higher numbers promise higher performance and price.

Michael

If what you is true (and I’m sure it is) why is my Radeon 7xxx not as good as your Radeon 4xxx and 5xxx if you say the higher the number the better the performance?

Anyway I have just ordered this one -
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5450 512MB

lets hope I haven’t screwed up again.
thanks for the help Michael…

[QUOTE=glenvern;2576841]If what you is true (and I’m sure it is) why is my Radeon 7xxx not as good as your Radeon 4xxx and 5xxx if you say the higher the number the better the performance?[/quote]You can only compare within a series of cards, i.e. a 4xxx with a 4yyy, or a 5xxx with a 5yzx.

The Radeon 7000 card you bought, has hit the market 10 years ago. :eek:
See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon

Anyway I have just ordered this one -
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5450 512MB

Perfect for office-type applications. Hopefully it has the connectors you need to hook up your two VGA monitors.

thanks for the help Michael…
You’re very Welcome :slight_smile:

Michael