Graphics card with RGB

I’m new here, so forgive me if I’m posting in the wrong forum. But does anybody know if a graphics card exists with RGB ports? DVI, s-video, VGA and hdmi are everywhere, but does anyone make a video card with RGB ports?:confused:

Yo-

Have seen some cards with a composite video ‘dongle’ (adapter from s-video port to three rga female plugs) - probably best place to see what any given vendor has in the box would be a site with good product pictures - like www.newegg.com -eh!!:iagree::iagree:

Thanks, but I have already gone that route and the best resolution available that way is 480i, which looks poor on a 65" screen. I was hoping if I could get component out (RGB ports) I would be able to get at least 480p or 1080i.

I’m guessing that if you tried that route the card had just a standard 4 pin svideo out or something. Many cards (ati cards anyway) have special 7 or 8 pin plugs that look like svideo but have additional pins (and some are regular 4 pin svideo). I found this out the hard way because standard svideo to composite adapters don’t work (you have to have the ati adapter or in some cases an adapter specific for that brand only).

Anyway, the most recent card I got has an 8 pin if I recall right, comes with a component adapter, and according to the specs, supports “HDTV (YPrPb component output)”. I have a couple of old radion 8500’s that have 7 pin plugs so they have been doing this for a while. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it has to be 720 or 1080 to be considered HD. Its this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161179
the specs
http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_sp.php?id=317
It doesn’t say what resolutions it supports though. Fyi I’m not necessarily recommending this exact card (I was kind of irritated that it didn’t come with an avi to hdmi adapter since again, its a special adapter and standard dvi to hdmi adapters don’t provide full function). I would look at some of the 2400/2600 series cards as they are geared towards HD, look on newegg to see which come with a component adapter, then check the specs and or email the manufacture to see what resolutions it supports.

Fyi here is an example of one ati 8 pin plug (looks same as svideo but its not).
http://pinouts.ru/Video/ati_video_pinout.shtml

also, I’m not recomending against nvidia either (just not farmiliar with them and what they have).

ripit, thanks for the extensive reply. At this point, all information is welcome. The 7300GS that I have actually has a 9-pin TV-out (s-video like) port, which I am using to connect a component adapter. However, the image on my HDTV only goes to 480i (and 30hz instead of 60hz) no matter what I do to the settings. Frustrating. Perhaps I should buy an ATI graphics card and see if my luck changes.

From what I know from the ati cards I own, some might give hd resolutions through component (the 2600xt defanatlly seems to according to the specs) but some of the other ati cards I have defanatlly do NOT give hd resolutions as they only have a standard svideo port. I would check the specs on anything you look at, and then email or call the manufacture to make sure it supports the resolutions you want througth component before buying. I strongly suspect that some cards can do it, but only some cards.

Good advice and I will follow it. Thank you very much.

I was looking through the manual for my 2600xt and found that there is also an avi to component adapter.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814999903
Problem is, it only works with some ati cards (same thing you get with any kind of ati video adapter), and someone on newegg killed an nvidia card trying it with it (not sure if there is one made for nvidia cards). If you have any ati cards, maybe this would work with one of your existing cards (or maybe there is an nvidia equivalent if thats what you got). I would defanatlly do a little research if you want to try it though as the manufactures claims that it works with any ati card is wrong (it probably works with many but not all). I’m betting ati makes one of these with a compatibility chart.

[quote=ripit;1957797]I was looking through the manual for my 2600xt and found that there is also an avi to component adapter.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814999903
Problem is, it only works with some ati cards (same thing you get with any kind of ati video adapter), and someone on newegg killed an nvidia card trying it with it (not sure if there is one made for nvidia cards). If you have any ati cards, maybe this would work with one of your existing cards (or maybe there is an nvidia equivalent if thats what you got). I would defanatlly do a little research if you want to try it though as the manufactures claims that it works with any ati card is wrong (it probably works with many but not all). I’m betting ati makes one of these with a compatibility chart.[/quote]

Thanks. My research is turning up similar information. I might buy a used ATI card on ebay. I don’t think the 2600 will handle a converter, but the AGP 9800 radeon supposedly will. Ebay, here I come.

IF you found 2600’s that don’t seem to work with the avi-component converter, then it might very from brand to brand, because the manual for my 2600xt gives instructions on using and setting an avi to component adapter (allows up to 1080i but not 1080p). Thats with the pic-e version anyway. I’m not sure about the agp versions. If you dont mind something used though, you might be able to get something used cheaper off ebay.