Graphics Card Question

vbimport

Hey, everyone… I’m brand new to this forum, so please be nice to me. :stuck_out_tongue:

So lately I’ve been thinking about purchasing a new graphic/video card for my computer, due to it not being able to follow the newest games anymore, though there is one thing I don’t quite understand: I am able to run Skyrim with high setting, and it runs O.K. - not perfect, but not something to worry about either. And yesterday I bouth Saints Row 3, and I am not able to play it without it constant lagging at some point; which I find very strange, actually, since the game doesn’t look that much better than Skyrim - but I might’ve misunderstood something (I’m not the very best when it comes to drivers, graphics card etc., but I’m trying to learn).

So I’m currently running a ATI Radeon 5600-series (5670 I believe), and I’ve been pleased with it for the year I’ve had it.

I’m writing this because I need some help finding a new card. I’ve been looking at the Geforce GTX 570, and it seems pretty great and all, but my older brother told me I won’t be able to run it due to my weak processor, which is an i3. I can quickly give you guys a system-specs list, to make everything easier to understand:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, build 7600)
System Producer: FUJITSU
System Model: ESPRIMO P1510
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel Core i3 CPU - 540 @ 3.07GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
DirectX-version: DirectX 11

• So I don’t know that is important to know from up there or what isn’t, but if you need any other information, please tell me so I can show it.

Basically I want guidance towards picking the best graphics card for my system, but I still want it to be “top of the line”, though. I would go all in, if it wasn’t for my system’s restrictions - as I am told.

Sorry for the long text, I hope someone will be kind enough to help me out!

Thanks in advance,
Dimitris

Welcome to the forums Dimitris.

We encourage people to post here in the Newbies when they are unsure where else to start, but sometimes your questions are more likely to get good answers in other parts of our forum. One of my tasks is to recognize which ones should be moved. I think you’ll get better answers in our Hardware forum, so I’m moving your thread in there, but leaving a redirect here in the Newbies.

As far as I am aware, you should be able to use any pci-e graphics card you like, as long as your power supply is capable of running it. The high end graphics cards take a good deal more power.

Now, your games may very well be cpu bound rather than being held back by the graphics card, that happens sometimes, but I don’t know enough about these particular ones to advise you. Wait till you get some more informed replies in the Hardware forum.

Like Kerry56 said, Power is a big consideration. Looking at the Specs on your System, they are on the bottom and your Power Supply is a mere 330W. This is not enough for the high end Graphics Cards, like the one you want the Geforce GTX 570, it needs a 550W Power Supply. The recommended Card for your System is the GeForce GT420 or something along those lines. So if you want more Card, you need more Power. :cool:

But you have to be kidding, though? As written, I am running the 5670 with no problems, so how is my best solution a card that is way more below that?

[QUOTE=alchav21;2613220] [B]"…So if you want more Card, you need more Power"…[/B] :cool:[/QUOTE]

Yo Dimitris-

You are being well advised by these folks!!

You are the one who said [B]"… I am not able to play it without it constant lagging at some point…"[/B] a good indicator that your current power supply isn’t optimal (powerful enough) for your current system - let alone a more powerful upgrade-eh!

[QUOTE=Mit00s;2613255]But you have to be kidding, though? As written, I am running the 5670 with no problems, so how is my best solution a card that is way more below that?[/QUOTE]

Why do you think the ATI 5670 is better than the GT420? The GT420 has 2Gb of Memory and your ATI 5670 has 1Gb. If you really want to SuperCharge your System, upgrade the Power and your Processor to a Core i5. :cool:

[QUOTE=Mit00s;2613255]But you have to be kidding, though? As written, I am running the 5670 with no problems, so how is my best solution a card that is way more below that?[/QUOTE]

A patch for that game was released 4 days ago to increase performance in a number of video cards. Have you installed it? How full is the hard drive you are running the game on? Defragged recently?

[QUOTE=alchav21;2613262]Why do you think the ATI 5670 is better than the GT420? The GT420 has 2Gb of Memory and your ATI 5670 has 1Gb. If you really want to SuperCharge your System, upgrade the Power and your Processor to a Core i5. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Mine is bigger than yours doesn’t apply when choosing a better video card:rolleyes:.

If you take a look here, you’ll notice that an ATI 5670 blows your gt420 out of the water. Without breaking a sweat in the process. Our nice new member:flower: would find himself with a crippled computer following your advice. Lets try to do a little better?

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2613289]A patch for that game was released 4 days ago to increase performance in a number of video cards. Have you installed it? How full is the hard drive you are running the game on? Defragged recently?[/QUOTE]

No I haven’t ,actually… Could you lead me to this patch? I’d be greatful.

Furthermore, I also haven’t updated my video card drivers since I bought the computer (last fall), so maybe they’re a little outdated as well? Anyone know where to find some driver updates?..

Welcome to the fourm Mit00s :slight_smile:

Your right in thinking the GT420 is garbage, also 2GB vs 1GB is also not a real world comparison. Only super extreme resolutions can benefit from 2GB of video ram.

One thing you did not mention is at what resolution do you game at? Your current video card is a capable one, only if your gaming at a relatively low resolution.

IF you want to upgrade to a good video card (GTX570 excellent choice) you will have to upgrade your power supply. We can help you pick that, typically though good brands are Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax, and some others. Look for it to be efficient like Bronze or gold or platinum 80+ certified. Other previous generation video cards are good choices, I have a GTX460 that still performs on top, the GTX470 would be even better, if getting a GTX460 try to get the version with 1GB of ram.

Your CPU is still very fast and will perform very well with a new video card.

Updating your computers video drivers, and then directx, and the games software patches should all be done before making the decision to upgrade.

[QUOTE=Mit00s;2613308]No I haven’t ,actually… Could you lead me to this patch? I’d be greatful.

Furthermore, I also haven’t updated my video card drivers since I bought the computer (last fall), so maybe they’re a little outdated as well? Anyone know where to find some driver updates?..[/QUOTE]

I ran across mention of it here .

You can find any new drivers for your card here. You can take advantage of this site to compare the boost in performance from various cards in your price range vs your current 5670. One of the most valuable pieces of information you will find this way is the first comparison graph of the power requirements. This will tell you how many more watts you will need over your current power supply to upgrade to the new card. You should add at least 100 watts above that unless you make sure to buy an 80+ rated high-quality power supply. You may wish to go with at least 650 watts to make room for future processor upgrades. It will also need dedicated PCI-E video card power plugs to upgrade into the range you are looking at.

All the video card drivers for both games Skyrim and Saints Row 3 are in beta/unstable right now. I recommend waiting for good stable video card drivers before you purchase a new video card. In the meantime accept a slightly lower quality.

Thank you to everyone who replied; it really is great!

So… If I’m correct: I only need a more powerful powersupply? According to deanwitty this seems to be so…?

[QUOTE=Mit00s;2613382]Thank you to everyone who replied; it really is great!

So… If I’m correct: I only need a more powerful powersupply? According to deanwitty this seems to be so…?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you need at least a 550W Power Supply if you want to run the GTX 570. Your Processor should be adequate. I only mentioned the GT420 because your Manufacturer said this Card would work with your System Specs. :cool:

So… If I’m correct: I only need a more powerful powersupply? According to deanwitty this seems to be so…?[/QUOTE]

Yes, to upgrade to smoother game-playing with a stronger video card. You can also ignore the previous posters advice to upgrade your processor to achieve what you are trying to do. Use the site I linked to and get a good sense of which cards are most likely to give you your money’s worth along with the power requirements. Eric and Mr. Belvedere are very trustworthy members here. I suggest you consider their advise carefully to help you find your best route to a solution. Their combined advice to try playing the game at a lower resolution till it becomes clear which company does the best job with driver updates for this game is worth considering.

No. The Power Supply upgrade is only required [U][B]IF[/B][/U] you upgrade to a high end video card (which generally use in excess of 120W of power).

First update your drivers for video card, do some system maintenance like defragging your HDD’s, clearing out any unnecessary programs which might be chewing up system time, install recent game patches.

If performance is still lagging, then a video card upgrade is warranted.

Check benchmarks (tomshardware or anandtech) & associate power requirements.

If you don’t want to fork out $$ for a new power supply, then you can compare your current video card (ATI5670) power requirements to new video cards, and choose a new video card which has similar power requirements (but is still a decent performance upgrade).

Be aware that video cards with the same Video Chip commonly make a distinction between the [U][I][B]type[/B][/I][/U] & speed of V-RAM in use, and the memory bus width in order to satisfy different price points of the market, and also memory/GPU clock speeds will differ between brands (ie, gigabyte, asus, hightech) despite the same chip/memory configurations.

Honestly though, upgrading from a mid-range video card from only one generation previous, to a current mid-range video card probably won’t make a huge difference.

The telling point on that comparison site
HD5670 has a max power drain of 61 watts (so it can draw power just from the slot)
GTX570 needs 219 watts - not sure if that means two PCI-E power cables, or at the very least, an 8 pin instead of a 6 pin.

If the card needs a power connector, then the average costcutting stock system PSU is unlikely to be up to the job.

In replacements, a PSU from a name that is respected, has a good chance of delivering the specified ratings - on some cheap models, the ratings are a work of fiction.

[QUOTE=Matth;2613861]The telling point on that comparison site
HD5670 has a max power drain of 61 watts (so it can draw power just from the slot)
GTX570 needs 219 watts - not sure if that means two PCI-E power cables, or at the very least, an 8 pin instead of a 6 pin.

If the card needs a power connector, then the average costcutting stock system PSU is unlikely to be up to the job.

In replacements, a PSU from a name that is respected, has a good chance of delivering the specified ratings - on some cheap models, the ratings are a work of fiction.[/QUOTE]

What are you trying to say, that Gamers don’t pay attention to their System needs. I tend to agree, I’m not a Gamer but I have a couple of Grandkids that are, and they could care less about computer needs or upgrades. They don’t even know how to change out a Card, let alone a PSU. All they want to do is play that Game, they don’t want to learn how to upgrade their computer just make it play that Game! :cool:

[QUOTE=Matth;2613861]The telling point on that comparison site

In replacements, a PSU from a name that is respected, has a good chance of delivering the specified ratings - on some cheap models, the ratings are a work of fiction.[/QUOTE]

Aww, it’d all be fine in the end …

The cheapy power supply would work fine for a few minutes, and then let out the magic smoke …

The computer shop would stick a new beastly new PSU in & charge them a fortune & it’s all good :wink:

Is HD 6700 series (especially 6770) in your budget? It is a very good card, a decent CM or Corsair psu would handle it very well.