Graphics card install

I am trying to install a new graphics card, an MSI 5770 Hawk into my Asus Essentio Cm 5675, i5Core, 8G 1T Hd, Windows 7 Home Premium. I was under the assumption it was plug & play. I installed it, added the Vga adapter and am getting no signal to my monitor. Ther is a power supply component that came with the unit, but as per some of the install videos I watched, it is for older models, and there are no slots for it. Am I missing a step? Any help greatly appreciated.
Jim Durkin

Okay, a couple of questions, the most important is the VGA Connection. Your new Graphics Board only has DVI, but it does have a Display Port, and I guess the VGA Adaptor goes there. The other question is Power it has a 6pin Power Connector, is that connected? This Graphics Card is PCI Express 2.1 X16, your MB has PCI Express 2.0 X16. If you get no Video something is wrong, either not compatible or not connected. :cool:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2607446]Okay, a couple of questions, the most important is the VGA Connection. Your new Graphics Board only has DVI, but it does have a Display Port, and I guess the VGA Adaptor goes there. The other question is Power it has a 6pin Power Connector, is that connected? This Graphics Card is PCI Express 2.1 X16, your MB has PCI Express 2.0 X16. If you get no Video something is wrong, either not compatible or not connected. :cool:[/QUOTE] I think I am over my head. I thiought it was a simple plug & play, I don’t see any type of 6 pin Connectors (any one have a pic of what it might look like?) Have a power connection with what looks like a 6 pin male connector with two separate DVD power like connectors as an output, but nothing to connect to?

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2607451]I think I am over my head. I thiought it was a simple plug & play, I don’t see any type of 6 pin Connectors (any one have a pic of what it might look like?) Have a power connection with what looks like a 6 pin male connector with two separate DVD power like connectors as an output, but nothing to connect to?[/QUOTE]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490&Tpk=MSI%205770%20Hawk

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2607451]I think I am over my head. I thiought it was a simple plug & play, I don’t see any type of 6 pin Connectors (any one have a pic of what it might look like?) Have a power connection with what looks like a 6 pin male connector with two separate DVD power like connectors as an output, but nothing to connect to?[/QUOTE]

You need at least a 450W Power Supply, and a 6pin Power Connector. The connector is in the back of the Graphics Card between the Second Fan and the Card. You have to read all the requirements on these Fast Cards. :cool:

http://us.msi.com/product/vga/R5770-Hawk.html#?div=Manual

Yo Durkinjt-

Wow - you asked this very same question on three different forums - MyCE, Afterdawn and Doom9-eh!!

Anyway - it appears that your computer comes with only a 300 watt power supply - which is probably to little to power the addition of this video card to your computer. There is a great 500 watt power supply in the bargain basement for only $30 delivered to your front door. See it here:

http://www.directron.com/ppcs500b.html

Once you have enough power to run both your computer and the new 5770 card you need to connect it to the power supply via the six pin male connector from the power supply which goes into the six pin female connection on the right upper right corner of the video card as seen from the rear. Any further questions - just ask us - we’re full of answers-eh!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2607474]Yo Durkinjt-

Wow - you asked this very same question on three different forums - MyCE, Afterdawn and Doom9-eh!!

Anyway - it appears that your computer comes with only a 300 watt power supply - which is probably to little to power the addition of this video card to your computer. There is a great 500 watt power supply in the bargain basement for only $30 delivered to your front door. See it here:

Once you have enough power to run both your computer and the new 5770 card you need to connect it to the power supply via the six pin male connector from the power supply which goes into the six pin female connection on the right upper right corner of the video card as seen from the rear. Any further questions - just ask us - we’re full of answers-eh![/QUOTE]

Thanks Mike, ordered the power supply, great price!

I think your PSU would have powered the video card, looking at reviews with very power hungry CPU’s and MB’s, I don’t think your setup would draw more than 200W. The 6-pin power connector must be used to power the card, if your PSU doesn’t have the 6-pin cable then an adapter can be used. they usually come with the video card but can be bought online for ~$1.

Looking at the specifications on your PC, is your original video a card or built into the motherboard? If its on the MB then you would also need to go into the bios (while connected to the MB video) and set the bios video options to use the MB card slot instead of the onboard video.

Yeah it looks like it comes with basic intel graphics. So you would want to uninstall those drivers too, and install the latest drivers from AMD’s website (don’t use the old drivers on the disc it came with).

[QUOTE=eric93se;2607529]I think your PSU would have powered the video card, looking at reviews with very power hungry CPU’s and MB’s, I don’t think your setup would draw more than 200W. The 6-pin power connector must be used to power the card, if your PSU doesn’t have the 6-pin cable then an adapter can be used. they usually come with the video card but can be bought online for ~$1.

Looking at the specifications on your PC, is your original video a card or built into the motherboard? If its on the MB then you would also need to go into the bios (while connected to the MB video) and set the bios video options to use the MB card slot instead of the onboard video.[/QUOTE]

Yo Eric-

Here is what AMD recommends for this video card:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5770/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5770-overview.aspx#3

[B][I]Why[/I][/B] would you possibly jeopardize a members system with that advice?

First of all this in no way jeopardizes his PC in any way, lets get that straight. Second of all we know time after time that video card makers ALWAYS over state the PSU requirements. It is a safe bet for the video card maker to weed out the total garbage PSU out there that can only put out half the power they are rated at, the OP’s PSU is from a reputable manufacturer and will not fall into the garbage category.

Here is an excert from a tom’s hardware review:
“ATI rates the Radeon HD 5770 for 18W of power consumption at idle and 108W maximum board power at load. The Radeon HD 5750 is even lower at 16W idle and 86W under load. The delta there checks out almost exactly, as our Radeon HD 5750 sample used two watts less than our 5770 at idle, and 22W less (instead of the expected 21W) with FurMark running at full tilt.”

Now this chart is using a quad core from the same series as the OP (his is dual core). Also this is power drawn from the wall.

Just to prove my point on how video card makes overstate power requirements. Now this is big thing here, check this out, this video card uses between 5W and 15W, its the super super low end card (but capable of doing good hi-def video), the model 6450.

AMD states:
“400 Watt or greater power supply recommended (500 Watt for AMD CrossFireXâ„¢ technology in dual mode)”

But they are more accurate for their flagship model the 6990 (more so for the crossfire setup), because that thing can suck serious power out of the wall.

Yo Eric-

I bow to your Electrical degrees - your large dedicated staff of engineers and technicians that are in the business of design, engineering and manufacturing of world class video cards…

I also like to argue and be right too, sometimes wrong :iagree:

:bow:
:bow:

Yo Eric - and durkinjt-

I find it interesting that Asus themselves recommends a minimum of 400 watt power supply when using the ati HD 5770 in their i5-650 system:

I also find it interesting that they make the following statement: “Please ensure to use power supply unit capable of outputting over the calculated recommended wattage to prevent system instability, random reset, unexpected shutdown, or similar problems caused due to insufficient power.”

As far as manufacturers providing “quality” power supplies - well that is just pure bunk - they provide the minimum acceptable quality that meets their ‘acceptable’ return threshold. Maybe that is the reason that there is such a large aftermarket business in real ‘quality’ power supplies-eh?

Was that a POSITIVE, or a NEGATIVE. lol

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2607474]

Once you have enough power to run both your computer and the new 5770 card you need to connect it to the power supply via the six pin male connector from the power supply which goes into the six pin female connection on the right upper right corner of the video card as seen from the rear. Any further questions - just ask us - we’re full of answers-eh![/QUOTE]Good advice Mike, There’s no way in hell a 300w psu will run a 5770 if you want to actually do anything with it. 500W is good depending on the amount of devices that are inside the pc eg. How many HDD’s and so on are connected.

I have never seen a tutorial or step by step guide to installing.Try not to touch anything inside the case any more than necessary and don’t force it if it doesn’t want to go.By taking out the Graphic card, the PC should revert back to the onboard integrated graphics. You should be able to see what you are doing now !

use a vi dock instead nd install d latest drivers