Gran Turismo 4

Just pick up Gran Turismo 4 from the local Fry’s today and I am trying to back it up. But before I do I was reading to see what others have done and can not find anything that work.

Has anyone here done something that works or know a link to something that I am missing?

I have scaned it with newest Aray Scanner and it shows “LibCrypt/PSX signs found”

Another question is I how do I shrink the size of the game? I have the ISO on HD but when I mount the image and go to acess it with shrink it gives me an error “Invalid DVD Navigation Structure”

Any help will be appreciated
rfjr23

You cant shrink games as of yet I believe, and DVD Shrink is a DVD movie compression tool. From what I’ve read of it you need to burn it to a Dual Layer disc.

What I havve seen nothing works as of yet for backing this game up. Just thought maybe someone here may have seen or knew of something.

I asked about shrinking the game because I have seen people saying that they have done it. I dont want to use a dvd9 and have an issue with it reading between layers.(thats just an expensive coaster),but if I have to I have to I guess:)

I have tried to alter the game my self to see if I can get it on a dvd5 but nothing I have done has worked:sad:

Just be sure to use good quality media, then rip it with DVD Decrypter, then burn that to your DVD-9,(with DVD Decrypter) I’m not totally sure but I’d presume you could also change the booktype to DVD-ROM as well.(depending on your drive and media)

I asked about shrinking the game because I have seen people saying that they have done it.
I dunno I’ve googled into this before and nothing concrete or believable has come up. I just dont see how its possible to compress data such as this. Good Luck rfjr23:)

Usually what they do is rencode the movies on the disk to a lower bitrate and downsample the audio (or combine the channels to mono). You’ll need video and audio editting software (not DVD compress applications). Trust me, its a hell of a lot easier to just buy some DL media.

CloneCD should be able to copy the Libcrypt protection also.

well right now by what I see from looking through othere websites this games needs a fix for anything. From backing it up or even loading with hd loader and advance.

I am pretty content with playing it so far but when there is some kind of fix you can bet I will back it up. I always back everything up I got three kids 5 and under that should explain it:iagree:

but when I see or get anything that looks like it will work Ill post it for others

You WILL NOT succeed! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: - Sorry for being so negative :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

If you read around a bit, you would find out that current Dual Layer burners - only write in Opposite Track Path (OTP) - not Paralell Track Path (PTP) which is what the PS2 needs.

Also - the PS2 uses Logical Block Addressing (LBA), so does not always use the TOC to find files - it just jumps to logical addresses on the disc - so if you burn with a DVD+R Dual Layer using OTP - you have no chance.

People are trying to unpack the assets and re-encode the layout file using Hex, but even this looks in vain.

The only slight glimmer of hope is that DVD-R Dual Layers have been quoted as supporting the possibility for PTP writing - but that remains far from fact…

Shrinking it is also impossible - due to it still seeking to the second layer…

I think the best bet, is the HD Loader guys actually getting their programs working with Dual Layer rips - that seems the easiest way forward for now…

Good luck though - don’t let me deter you! :smiley:

MC

sorry but your wrong, it IS possible to backup Granturismo 4 as it has been released by a group called STRIKE on 15-02-05 check the PS2 section on nforce.nl. is is reported as a Multi5 which probally means 2 dvd5 discs.

Multi 5???

You might want to check ‘your’ facts :smiley: LOL :smiley:

Multi5 = 5 Languages

And anybody who’s anybody knows this is a ‘NUKED’ version :smiley:

Perhaps, perhaps, just maybe - I might be ‘correct’??? :smiley:

Cheers

MC

I have it backed up and play it all the time. i have tons of ps2 games and i have never had a problem with any thing. so many people on here r all smart and went to school for this stuff and stuff and still have problems. i dont understand why. every single game i have ever backed up has worked. and i mean every single one. and i have tones of games. whats the problem guys? the computer radiation frying ur brains?

lol, my ps2 backup education sucks. Don’t goto community college!

Well then If can you be so kind to share your knowledge on How to make a working backup copy of Grand Turismo 4? I have read several different forums and as of yet all is the same there is no fix for you to even play it from the hard drive for Playstation 2 let alone make a working Dvd9.

So PLEASE enlighten us:iagree: I am sure there are tons of people that would love to know how.

p.s. I dont have any issues in making anyback up problems. I just do research first to make sure that I do not need to patch somrthing or anything else like that.

Thank you for your knowledge and help
rfjr23

There is no libcrypt protection on dvd based games

Did you use double layer media, put it on 2 discs, or downsample it…
I have not tried this game yet but done more than 100 other games with various softwares but on most sites i see people having trouble with this game…

PhIbErOpTiK, Off topic, how much did it cost to build your computer?

so many people on here r all smart and went to school for this stuff and stuff and still have problems. i dont understand why. every single game i have ever backed up has worked. and i mean every single one. and i have tones of games. whats the problem guys? the computer radiation frying ur brains?
Let me guess you have the answer to starforce too?LOL

Here is where the Libcrypt came in. But at the same time I just relized that Aray Scanner shows a false size for the game

This is from Decryptor that shows a little over 5 gig

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108 1.14 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 2,594,960
Size: 5,314,478,080 bytes
Time: 576:41:35 (MM:SS:FF)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Book Type: DVD-ROM
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: 10.08Mbps

He told me the best way to copy Starforce is hit your cdrom drive on the side while using IE to copy the files. I’m gonna try it!

@rfjr23, try protection ID, I think aray just sees all PSX games as possible libcrypt. And, that may be the actual size of the data if dummy sectors are used.

This is what Protection I d gives me. But I dont make any thing out of it.

This list goes on and on but after looking at it it is all the same except file names change but it is all the same thing.

This brings me to blieve like squinty said they are using dummy sectors or files. Would it help if I posted the whole log. It is just so long:eek:.

I wonder what would happen if I tried to remove any dummy sectors or files in the game? But then it may dependent on them

Scanning -> D:\SYSTEM.CNF
[-] File too small to be executable…skipped

• Scan Took : 0.0 Seconds

Scanning -> D:\SCUS_973.28
[-] File is NON executable…(non MZ)

• Scan Took : 0.0 Seconds

Scanning -> D:\CORE.GT4
[-] File is NON executable…(non MZ)

• Scan Took : 0.985 Seconds

Guys,

Libcrypt died out with PS1 - it’s no longer supported on PS2…

The problem with backing it up - has SWEET FA to do with Protection - and more to do with Sony being clever and exploiting the gap in the current HOME DVD burning situation. :smiley:

As for PhiberOptic - prolly best if we leave him to Defrag his ‘terror’ bytes! :smiley: - I sincerely doubt his claim of having it backed up - but me and 99% of the GT4 community would love to be proven wrong! :smiley:

And yes I did go to school - that’s why I’m making sense and you aint :wink:

MC

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: That is for sure