GPU only connected by slot

Hi,

I have a GTX285 that I use only for Physix in Games like Crysis in the Max, when not use it I not even plug it to the PSU i leave it only inserted in the PCI Express slot because I have wires in front of it and its a pain to put and take it all the time. Is there a problem with this in therms of my GTX285 health?

Thanks - advance

I do believe you need to keep it pluged in all the time for it to work correctly are you talking
about the 6pin power plug-in on the video card itself or is this a seperate Physix card?? :confused:

[QUOTE=Plextorpremium;2577755]Hi,

I have a GTX285 that I use only for Physix in Games like Crysis in the Max, when not use it I not even plug it to the PSU i leave it only inserted in the PCI Express slot because I have wires in front of it and its a pain to put and take it all the time. Is there a problem with this in therms of my GTX285 health?

Thanks - advance[/QUOTE]

Your asking for trouble that power connector is there for a good reason as the GPU will need the power when it needs it to cool the GPU itself and it doesn’t take anymore power then at idle and only uses the extra power when the Graphics require more power to run GPU intensive games. Also you don’t identify which GTX285 your referring to would help as well. Also are you limited to power connectors or something? You gave very confusing hardware configuration to be of help to know how you have it connected and setup?

I also think you should leave it plugged in. I don’t think your saving any electricity by unplugging it.

In Nvidia control panel i chose the physx to be done only with the GTX285 but only in high end games and when i do this i plug it to the PSU. Normally at least lately and when i am not playing that games i unplug the 285 from the PSU and it does nothing just stays in the PCIe slot. I decided to under-clock it and reduce the fan speed and leave it connected to the PSU all the time. When the GTX was only connected to the PCIe it was cooling itself also i think because the PCIe can deliver max. 75w.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Plextorpremium;2577942]In Nvidia control panel i chose the physx to be done only with the GTX285 but only in high end games and when i do this i plug it to the PSU. Normally at least lately and when i am not playing that games i unplug the 285 from the PSU and it does nothing just stays in the PCIe slot. I decided to under-clock it and reduce the fan speed and leave it connected to the PSU all the time. When the GTX was only connected to the PCIe it was cooling itself also i think because the PCIe can deliver max. 75w.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Your reasoning doesn’t make much sense or have much support for it. If you don’t want a GPU with extra power connector go buy one that doesn’t have it. They do sell those as well. Since we have no idea what kinda motherboard your running that conclustion is even harder to know what the specs are exactly for that motherboard. I can say already without that extra power connector plugged in on your GPU it will act like a basic GPU card and run low res already. Basically your killing off your options the GPU gives you doing what your doing and plugging it in and out will do more damage to the GPU and connector in the long run and will cost you time and money to replace it. Since it won’t be able to properly function as it was designed to perform as.