GPU components safe 24/7 temps

vbimport

Hello,

I have a 8800gt that I have been folding with that currently has a very low GPU temp (55C) under load after replacing the stock heatsink.

However, there are some components which are now naked which the stock heatsink used to cover and I am worried about the temps running 24/7.

Memory chips with no heat sinks are currently running at 65C and the mosfets on the card are running at 71C.

To make sure the card lasts as long as possible I am going to grab some thermal adhesive and stick the memory heatsinks I have permanently on and maybe adhere some nice flat head screws to the mosfets with this stuff:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100013&cm_re=thermal_adhesive--35-100-013--Product

What are safe 24/7 temps for these components?

Thanks in advance,

adict :cool:

Bump!
no one?

Your probably safe with those temps, the memory temp is a little high I think. Wow the flat head screws as a heatsink is a great idea, damn why didn’t I think of that :slight_smile:

Another option to using the thermal adhesive paste is a thermal tape, there is one that is paper thin. I’ve used it on mosfets on my current MB. I beleive its called “SEKISUI 5760”. Its cheap and I have like a foot of it left over.

Thanks for your input :slight_smile:

I ordered some Arctic Silver Alumina AATA-5G Thermal Adhesive. I was thinking of making my own out of some ordinary paste and some superglue or nail polish, but I figured I can use this stuff down the road too. Now to just find some nice nails…

[QUOTE=eric93se;2557622]Your probably safe with those temps, the memory temp is a little high I think. Wow the flat head screws as a heatsink is a great idea, damn why didn’t I think of that :slight_smile:

Another option to using the thermal adhesive paste is a thermal tape, there is one that is paper thin. I’ve used it on mosfets on my current MB. I beleive its called “SEKISUI 5760”. Its cheap and I have like a foot of it left over.[/QUOTE]

Update:

So I used the thermal adhesive to permanently stick the memory heatsinks on. Also, as I was planning, i got some 100% copper nails and stuck those on the mosfets as well.

The memory is running significantly cooler, highest temp I measured today was a mere 48.5C. Almost a 20C drop! The mosfets with my homemade cooling are running around 58C so also a significant improvement!

Hopefully with these cooler temps, the card will last for a long time while running Folding@home :slight_smile:

Where did you buy the copper nails?

There is not reall telling when a certain electronic component will fail and at which temperature its lifespan will reduce noticably.

Rule of thumb: Don’t ever get above 75 degrees celcius. Most of the components can easily handle 70-80 degrees celcius, but after that it seems the material is degrading.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2560207]Where did you buy the copper nails?[/QUOTE]

home depot
I could not find the exact nails I bought in the store on their website. They are a little less than 1" long and were the only 100% copper nails they had in stock. I can get you the exact name and product # if you are interested, let me know.

Just give me an idea as to how much they were and the quantity or weight?

This is what I used:
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=58227-37672-532696&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3036051&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

but any copper nail/tack as long as the head is flat should work well. It probably doesn’t even need to be copper to be effective…