GPU Acceleration?

I just noticed the GPU accleleration feature in DVD Fab 6.0.4.0 under the X to Mobile section. I haven’t used fab in a while so this may have been here before? I searched the forums here for GPU and turned up nothing.

Does anyone have any info about how this feature works? There is the option to use CUDA or DXVA - what is the difference?

Based on the codec list, it looks like it only supports H264 and VC1 at this time, no XViD support- is that comming soon?

With the acceleration now in place, has anyone run a benchmark to see how much faster H264 encoding is?

• Jack

See http://dvdfab.com/dvd-fab-new.htm

June 24, 2009
DVDFab 6.0.2.0 Updated!

New: Added support for GPU acceleration for video decoding.

New: Both DXVA and CUDA GPU acceleration are supported, and user can choose which one to be used. Note: you may need update graphic card driver to enable CUDA.

New: Currently only H264/VC1 in M2TS files are supported for GPU acceleration. MKV and other file formats will be supported later.

@ KmR
That was nicely done :clap:

SJ

[QUOTE=basementjack;2429689]Does anyone have any info about how this feature works? There is the option to use CUDA or DXVA - what is the difference?

With the acceleration now in place, has anyone run a benchmark to see how much faster H264 encoding is?

[/QUOTE]

CUDA is Nvidia’s proprietary GPU operating system, DXVA is more generic Direct X Video Acceleration and will run on more systems.

The differences between the two are probably very technical and I’ve no idea regarding speed comparisons.

The best I can suggest is that you try them both on an identical task (providing your hardware supports both) and see which finishes first.

I suspect there won’t be a vast difference but it is indeed possible that one is more highly optimised than the other.

[B]Wombler[/B]

CUDA decoding is faster than DXVA, also it’s more stable, so we recommend user to use CUDA is it’s available.

[QUOTE=fengtao;2430068]CUDA decoding is faster than DXVA, also it’s more stable, so we recommend user to use CUDA is it’s available.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Fengtao :clap:

:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=fengtao;2430068]CUDA decoding is faster than DXVA, also it’s more stable, so we recommend user to use CUDA is it’s available.[/QUOTE]

Excellent!

Thanks for clarifying that Fengtao as it’s the sort of question that was likely to crop up again.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I have a GeForce 8800 GTX an CUDA is not selectable. Is my graphiccard not supported?

[QUOTE=Vollpanto;2430973]I have a GeForce 8800 GTX an CUDA is not selectable. Is my graphiccard not supported?[/QUOTE]
Hi Vollpanto
Welcome to the forum

If you can’t change the setting then most likely it’s not, however you might want to go to the NVIDIA website and see if there is an update for your GeForce 8800 GTX :smiley:

SJ

You will need to load CUDA the 8800 is CUDA supported.
Go to the web site

[QUOTE=bean55;2430991]You will need to load CUDA the 8800 is CUDA supported.
Go to the web site

Hey bean
do you know if the GeForce 8500 GT is ?

At the latest version DVDFab Platinum v6.1.0.5 Beta, using ATI 4870, while before rebooting i could check the choice of GPU Acceleration after it was not visible this option. (CUDA - DXVA), how can enable this option? It is not available anymore.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2430998]Hey bean
do you know if the GeForce 8500 GT is ?[/QUOTE]

I see this question hasn’t been answered yet SJ so here’s a list of all the supported cards.

It depends on the amount of memory on board as to whether or not that card you refer to is supported but full details are also at the link given.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2445730]I see this question hasn’t been answered yet SJ so here’s a list of all the supported cards.

It depends on the amount of memory on board as to whether or not that card you refer to is supported but full details are also at the link given.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Wombler

Your right the question was never answered, however I never pursued it because I found the answer on my own :bigsmile: but have not installed the necessary software because there is a difference in what is needed depending on the operating system I have Vista BUT I’m waiting until I receive my copy of Win7 in a few weeks because it is a different installation package then Vista’s :wink:

Thank you anyway for your concern and reply :flower:

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2445741]Thank you anyway for your concern and reply :flower:

[B]SJ[/B][/QUOTE]

My pleasure. :flower:

I’d a fair idea you were probably sorted anyway but it’s a good idea to have this list linked to for other visitors to the thread.

[B]Wombler[/B]