Got My DW1650, Now What?

I’m a long-time CD ripper and this is my entry into the DVD burner world. My unit came from newegg with NO software. What is a good FREE or damn cheap software package? What media is reported to be the best for my unit (I picked up some really cheap Maxell DVD+R MIJ, all I have for now). I have a bunch of mpegs needing to be transferred to DVD and I would like to backup some of my copy-protected movies. Any assistance GREATLY appreciated.

Use DVDFAB DECRYPTER to rip to your hard drive then use DVDSHRINK to transcode and shrink down the files so it will be able to fit on a single layer DVD-/+R disc. You could also use DVD REBUILDER to backup your movies which will render better video quality than DVDSHRINK which is no longer updated. The guy who authored that program now works for NERO. For DVD REBUILDER you can use the free video encoders that are included in the program itself. If you already have video encoder software CINEMA CRAFT ENCODER or CANOPUS PROCODER you can use that video encoder rather than use the free one that comes with DVD REBUILDER.

Use IMGBURN or IMGTOOL BURN to burn to dvd media. MAXELL (MIJ) media is good to use. VERBATIM & TAIYO YUDEN are also good to use with your 1650 drive.

For more info on how to backup your dvd movies check out www.videohelp.com
You’ll find guides on how to backup your dvd movies. :slight_smile:

You can also go to the BenQ site and download QSuite and other utilities.

Also check out RipIt4Me. Create an ISO in DVDShrink and burn with ImgBurn.

All good in the posts above. Do you have an OEM Nero copy? That works fine. Also you may want to go to the Clone DVD forum here and use the $20 coupon for Slysoft and get a very nice software package that will do what you want everytime. I still use Shrink for my important projects and Clone for the burns. I know how you feel because it took me forever to break down and buy Slysoft. I was burned by XCOPY Plat and was very gun shy on spending anymore bucks. Slysoft is good to go.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

Thanks All! Looks like RipIt4Me would be the DVD backup software (to make DVD duplicates). What about for simply copying my mpegs onto a DVD for storage or converting them for viewing on a standard DVD player (creating a menu, etc–like my old Nero does for VCDs), will it work for this, too?

By the way, it was a bear to find Qsuite. I found it, but it is under DW1640 Applications, this menu does not come up for the DW1650. Can it be used with the DW1650 (version 2.1, I guess)?

http://www.benq-eu.com/serviceandsupport/downloads/downloads.cfm?product=750

Hi,

I don’t think so.

By the way, it was a bear to find Qsuite. I found it, but it is under DW1640 Applications, this menu does not come up for the DW1650. Can it be used with the DW1650 (version 2.1, I guess)?
Yes. It does.

Michael

To burn a data DVD or create a playable DVD, you will need a program like Nero. You can find an oem version of Nero pretty cheap on the internet.

try CDburnerXP, it’s free.

if you want to back up your cvc collection, you’ll need a program that’a able to shrink the movie to fit a SL DVD or you could use DL DVD’s, shrink and clonedvd (slysoft) will do this, but you’ll any need a program called anydvd (slysoft) to bypass the copy protections