I used to repair Microwave Ovens, when they were expensive. Microwave energy is not sufficient enough to cause damage on a nuclear level. Essentially it oscillates the water in the food and the friction causes heat. If any damage is done it is done by overheating food and that kind of destruction would cause the same damage no matter what the heat source. I don't buy the molecular destruction theory, the Microwaves just aren't powerful enough.
I would be pissed if I ate Microwaved food at a restaurant because I would expect it to be fresh and I could Microwave at home. I tend to use my Convection toaster oven more anyway because of the way it makes things crispy. We are so surrounded my Microwaves, and in all honesty that scares me more than an oven because the Microwaves transmitted through the air operate at a much higher frequency and if you use a Cell Phone and are worried about Microwaves, that just doesn't make sense. I do however feel that we are slowly (not so slowly sometimes) killing ourselves. So in a sideways kind of way I agree with you. I also wonder what Microwaves do in response to the iron in ones system, all that action and re-action stuff.