Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares

Does anyone else watch this show. I find it addictive. It is amazing that where he goes, he knows what is right for the area, what will sell, and how to fix it. Some of these restaurants are so disgusting I don’t know if I would ever eat in them but some of the others he has straightened out seem to do well. Makes you wonder about the places you eat in though.

Yeah, I watched it everytime it was on, for awhile :slight_smile:

The aim of the show is a good one, I just got a bit bored of the guy after awhile, though.

Watching Hell’s Kitchen now…don’t care too much for all the cursing, but the psychology of the show is what interests me…same as for other reality shows…

I watch the show with my 10 year old son and he has told me that all his peers in school watch the show. I found that to be oddly strange, but maybe there is a generation of chefs in the making. I get a kick out of the different places he goes to and the cuisine of the local people. Sometimes cooking shows just concentrate on the really fancy food. I would do anything for one of those huge Yorkshire puddings. I have never seen anything like that in the U.S, if anyone knows of a place in New England post it please. !I have to admit I enjoy the shows that are located in England better. It is like a backdoor entry into the country and I see a lot of people that remind me of the two and a half month stay that I had the pleasure to enjoy in Salford, England. The shows that are filmed in America kind of gross me out. Some of these places are absolutely disgusting. I don’t think he had to scratch too deep either and that’s what I find scary. Where are the health inspectors?

His shows are one of my guilty pleasures. I also like Hells kitchen and recently got to see a few of the original British versions of Nightmares as well.
He does seem to truly care about the people after he gets it sorted out and also for the chefs in Hell’s kitchen once he gets the real idiots weeded out.

I get the feeling he cares about the people that appreciate his help also. At first I thought maybe it was for the camera, but I don’t thik he could keep it up for so long and he is pretty straight forward about those he thinks are slacking. I love the British expressions use as in, “You wouldn’t want to be seen as a prat, would you?”, and all the rest of them. I do wish he (or maybe a British member in this forum)) would post a really good recipe for Fish 'n Chips batter. I still, after so many years, have not found Fish 'n Chips that taste as good as what i tasted in England.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2485529]…I do wish he (or maybe a British member in this forum)) would post a really good recipe for Fish 'n Chips batter. I still, after so many years, have not found Fish 'n Chips that taste as good as what i tasted in England.[/QUOTE]
It’s not the batter, it’s the newspaper they’re served in…I found the Daily Mail was the best…:smiley:

I hate the swearing and the anger, i hope it’s all act. But i’m amazed at the awful state of most of the restaurants he visits.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2485327]Does anyone else watch this show. I find it addictive. It is amazing that where he goes, he knows what is right for the area, what will sell, and how to fix it. Some of these restaurants are so disgusting I don’t know if I would ever eat in them but some of the others he has straightened out seem to do well. Makes you wonder about the places you eat in though.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2485620]I hate the swearing and the anger, i hope it’s all act. But i’m amazed at the awful state of most of the restaurants he visits.[/QUOTE]

Gordon Ramsays upper class restaurant in Melbourne, Oz, got sprung for microwaving pre-prepared food. He had another kitchen/factory setup in the suburbs, cooked and pre-packaged his food using cheap labor, and then dropped it in the refrigerator/freezer in his restaurant.

Gordon Ramsay is nothing but an over-promoted CHAV, and armed with the vocabulary of a wounded pirate with a learning disability.

What’s a “CHAV”, a "chauvinist maybe, I’d buy that. He’d get his ass kicked if he talked to most of the people I know like that. Unless he got to know them, as a lot of people I know talk like that, which is sad. I don’t personally. I had a business and sometimes you employees do things when your back is turned that you don’t know about. He has made references within the show where he says if he catches people ding such things he fires him, and I can’t see him managing all the restaurants he has all over the world. The fact that he has restaurants all over the world says a lot. I also think that the Microwave is getting unfairly bashed. If one is careful within, it can really save a lot of time. Im not a fanboy by any sense of the word, if I eat out I certainly wouldn’t expect to be served Microwaved food.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2485680]What’s a “CHAV”, a "chauvinist maybe, I’d buy that. He’d get his ass kicked if he talked to most of the people I know like that. Unless he got to know them, as a lot of people I know talk like that, which is sad. I don’t personally. I had a business and sometimes you employees do things when your back is turned that you don’t know about. He has made references within the show where he says if he catches people ding such things he fires him, and I can’t see him managing all the restaurants he has all over the world. The fact that he has restaurants all over the world says a lot. I also think that the Microwave is getting unfairly bashed. If one is careful within, it can really save a lot of time. Im not a fanboy by any sense of the word, if I eat out I certainly wouldn’t expect to be served Microwaved food.[/QUOTE]

P.S. I also learned not to use colored newspaper for Fish 'n Chips.:Z

Eww… Microwaving food is the best possible way to get colon cancer. The microwaves destroy the molecules around the water molecules, transforming them into other, much more dangerous acids.

I’d expect better from a professional cook! :a

I used to repair Microwave Ovens, when they were expensive. Microwave energy is not sufficient enough to cause damage on a nuclear level. Essentially it oscillates the water in the food and the friction causes heat. If any damage is done it is done by overheating food and that kind of destruction would cause the same damage no matter what the heat source. I don’t buy the molecular destruction theory, the Microwaves just aren’t powerful enough.

I would be pissed if I ate Microwaved food at a restaurant because I would expect it to be fresh and I could Microwave at home. I tend to use my Convection toaster oven more anyway because of the way it makes things crispy. We are so surrounded my Microwaves, and in all honesty that scares me more than an oven because the Microwaves transmitted through the air operate at a much higher frequency and if you use a Cell Phone and are worried about Microwaves, that just doesn’t make sense. I do however feel that we are slowly (not so slowly sometimes) killing ourselves. So in a sideways kind of way I agree with you. I also wonder what Microwaves do in response to the iron in ones system, all that action and re-action stuff.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2485680]What’s a “CHAV”, a "chauvinist maybe, I’d buy that. He’d get his ass kicked if he talked to most of the people I know like that. Unless he got to know them, as a lot of people I know talk like that, which is sad. I don’t personally. I had a business and sometimes you employees do things when your back is turned that you don’t know about. He has made references within the show where he says if he catches people ding such things he fires him, and I can’t see him managing all the restaurants he has all over the world. The fact that he has restaurants all over the world says a lot. I also think that the Microwave is getting unfairly bashed. If one is careful within, it can really save a lot of time. Im not a fanboy by any sense of the word, if I eat out I certainly wouldn’t expect to be served Microwaved food.[/QUOTE]
CHAV = Council Housing And Violent.
It’s a derogatory term used in the U.K. for misfits living in government housing (the poor) which exhibit anger management issues, foul language and violence - in other words, Gordon Ramsay without the cash.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2485698]Eww… Microwaving food is [B]the[/B] best possible way to get colon cancer. The microwaves [B]destroy[/B] the molecules around the water molecules, transforming them into other, much more dangerous acids.

I’d expect better from a professional cook! :a[/QUOTE]
When people are paying a 500% premium for their food at an otherwise mediocre restaurant, so do they.

You can forgive some diners for doing this, where some parts of complex meals take an unacceptably long time to prepare … but pretty much everything was frozen & microwaved.

Rather than rely on organic growth, he borrowed money to capitalize on his increased visibility and popularity…In the process he failed to effectively manage his properties and proceeded to lose his customer base…
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23793651-gordon-ramsays-pound-43m-nightmare-new-accounts-reveal-empires-losses.do

[QUOTE=debro;2485843]CHAV = Council Housing And Violent.
It’s a derogatory term used in the U.K. for misfits living in government housing (the poor) which exhibit anger management issues, foul language and violence - in other words, Gordon Ramsay without the cash.[/QUOTE]

Oh, Here will call people like that “Trailer trash” , or New Yorkers, if they live in a big city, in buildings.

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2485848]Rather than rely on organic growth, he borrowed money to capitalize on his increased visibility and popularity…In the process he failed to effectively manage his properties and proceeded to lose his customer base…
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23793651-gordon-ramsays-pound-43m-nightmare-new-accounts-reveal-empires-losses.do[/QUOTE]

Wow, I guess some people really hate the guy. Looks like he made a few mistakes, but he has a lot of cash flow so I bet he personally didn’t loose too much. These people have ways to protect themselves. I can’t afford to eat in places like that anyway so it really doesn’t affect me, I just get some interesting tips for cooking.

I love his shows but it really does make one wonder just what is going on in the kitchen of our favorite places we eat!

[QUOTE=Zathros;2485461]I watch the show with my 10 year old son and he has told me that all his peers in school watch the show. I found that to be oddly strange, but maybe there is a generation of chefs in the making.
[/QUOTE]

All the cursing in it might have something to do with it? When I was your son’s age, all the kids in my school got off on something with a bit of swearing in it - kinda like looking up swear words in the dictionary. A bit naughty, so worthy of a giggle. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Zathros;2485529]I get the feeling he cares about the people that appreciate his help also. At first I thought maybe it was for the camera, but I don’t thik he could keep it up for so long and he is pretty straight forward about those he thinks are slacking. [/QUOTE]

I agree there :iagree:…underneath all the cursing etc, I do get the impression he does care about those he’s trying to sort out. :slight_smile: