Google vows to fight Internet censorship & anti-piracy laws

vbimport

Google vows to fight Internet censorship & anti-piracy laws.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/05/jfkgHu.jpg[/newsimage]As debates rage over proposed anti-piracy laws and internet censorship, Erik Schmidt, Google's executive chairman, came forward on Wednesday to recommend that governments not move forward with "simple solutions to complex problems" related to protecting IP.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/google-vows-to-fight-internet-censorship-anti-piracy-laws-45281/](http://www.myce.com/news/google-vows-to-fight-internet-censorship-anti-piracy-laws-45281/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Sounds all good and dandy for sounds bites but they already lost the big one to “CHINA”. So to say they will fight censorship and anti-piracy laws is just words without any actions.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2589164]Sounds all good and dandy for sounds bites but they already lost the big one to “CHINA”.[/quote] Lost or left? It’s not easy to change governments these days you know? Usually it takes about a hundred years.

So to say they will fight censorship and anti-piracy laws is just words without any actions.
It’s in their best interest that privacy does not exist, so that they can harvest any information and make any cross reference they ever want.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2589179]Lost or left? It’s not easy to change governments these days you know? Usually it takes about a hundred years.[/QUOTE]

Actually not really if you take a look at what is happening in the Middle East. They have to really want to change and people have to willing to make real sacrifices to give people a reason.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2589179]It’s in their best interest that privacy does not exist, so that they can harvest any information and make any cross reference they ever want.[/QUOTE]

Well isn’t that what they already called in the US … “Patriot Act”, Warrant-less wiretapping, Email harvesting. And this is written into law already… :cop:. If they really wanted to end that they should’ve help kill those bills and uphold the Constitution instead.

While we are talking about Google, has anyone else been having the following experience:

Say, you are looking up Joe Schwartz Auto, (and, if I’m not mistaken, Google now charges to be the first, perhaps second or even third listing on the page that comes up in response to an inquiry?). We’ll “pretend” that Joe Schwartz Auto is at the top of the page that comes up.

Oh, great, no problem - you click it - only you are now taken to some other totally unrelated site - like ABC Travel?

Some of my friends are experiencing this also, so I know that I’m not the only one - but we do not understand why this is happening or what is causing it?

Anyone…?

@Mary Cahill, you can “pay” to be listed as a sponsored result (advertisement), which is shaded a slightly different background color. Organic search results are achieved via Search Engine Optimization and other means.

Sorry, but I really don’t understand the answer you are giving me. I know that companies can “pay” and then have the “shaded” difference in the listing. The problem is, “if” you press one of those listings that are shaded differently, and which have paid to be listed first on the page, clicking on them “often” takes you to another site entirely.

You may not appreciate my problem unless you, also, have personally been experiencing it. Thanks for the effort anyway.

Mary, you might have a virus. It’s a nasty one. I just had to fix my brothers PC. It was doing exactly as you described… the listing say one thing but you’re taken totally elsewhere. You might be taken to a site that supposedly tells you your PC infected when in fact it isn’t… well not by what it’s claiming it to be. This virus is designed to sell you some “virus scanner” don’t buy it… it’s a fake. You might be also prevented to visit sites that offer help in removing it.
Maybe it’s so, but it sounds exactly like that damn virus. I had a hard time removing it too, when I thought it was gone, it was coming back

@Mary that is not a search listing, it is an advertisement. Don’t click on the ads, problem solved.

Mary…Sounds like You may have Google Redirect Virus, Hope Not.
Try Running Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool,
Click Start/Type MRT/Then Run Tool…(windows only)
Good Luck!
Hope Blu-ray is right!

Yes, sir, both you and Blu-Ray sound like you understand my problem and I’m certainly going to use your solution! Thanks - much appreciated!

Yes, I think that you are right…and I’m going to use the Windows Trojan and Malicious malware remover. I appreciate you taking the time to give me your advice and experience. Much appreciated.

Refvne - I wrote this to you - but that “redirecting” virus problem may have interfered because it doesn’t show it going to you - so I’m re-sending with your name on it -

Yes, I think that you are right…and I’m going to use the Windows Trojan and Malicious malware remover. I appreciate you taking the time to give me your advice and experience. Much appreciated.

No problem… If I may suggest… the cleanup tool I use, and it’s absolutely free is Malwarebytes. Updates are free too… you just have to run it from time to time, there is a pro version which offers also prevention, but don’t bother, It’s not necessary in your case.
I know you can’t google it so here’s a link… I know it may sound like I’m spamming or something… maybe I shouldn’t post a link… if you won’t be able to find it then I’ll send you a link…
Oh, and after installation don’t forget to first update it, then you may not have to do a full scan, because it takes some time… do a quick scan instead first.
Good luck

Censorship is a terrible thing - and too often it is disguised as being for some greater good. It is only when you live in a society that censors content - such as the US and the more obvious ones such a China, Korea, etc - that you realize what is hidden or not seen because “they” don’t want you to access certain sites. Usually limiting access is because money or politics is involved, not so-called morals, being illegal, or for the greater good. “Internet neutrality” is just another way to control content - the legislation, ISPs, the music industry, the digital content industry have muddied the waters by linking it to money - it is content control, nothing more, nothing less. Go Google!