Google to punish mobile websites that obscure content with popups and advertisements

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Google to punish mobile websites that obscure content with popups and advertisements[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/08/myce-interstitials-google-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Google will start to devalue mobile websites that show large advertisements such as intrusive interstitials. According to the search giant these advertisements visually obscure content and frustrate users.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/google-punish-mobile-websites-obscure-content-popups-advertisements-80279/](http://www.myce.com/news/google-punish-mobile-websites-obscure-content-popups-advertisements-80279/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The intent of the search query is still a very strong signal, so a page may still rank highly if it has great, relevant content.”

Or pays them the going rate to be

Google will differentiate between the responsibly used and required interstitials and the annoying intrusive ones.

Or pays them the going rate to not be bothered

LOL :bigsmile:

I think you’re right… +1

• Google/Social media haters club

The one thing I’m really glad Google cracked down on was cloaking, i.e. those irritating pay subscription news websites where you could see the content for 5 to 10 seconds, after which a pop-up would cover the page saying this requires a paid subscription to view and of course the pop-up could not be dismissed without logging in or pulling out a credit card.Â

Then again, a loophole I used back then was to disable Javascript on affected websites and I could freely read the subscription-only stories. :wink:

Here’s something new why don’t they unlock the O/S so users can edit the hosts file and block those ads? Instead they force user to jail break superuser to edit the hosts file to stop those ads. If they really want to help the android users they would start with doing that first. This will help to crack down on annoying ads that do nothing but interfere with the smart phone user.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2779885]Here’s something new why don’t they unlock the O/S so users can edit the hosts file and block those ads? Instead they force user to jail break superuser to edit the hosts file to stop those ads. If they really want to help the android users they would start with doing that first. This will help to crack down on annoying ads that do nothing but interfere with the smart phone user.[/QUOTE]

Hehehe… Now that would be in Google’s interest? NOT!
Somewhat off topic, but a hosts file AD-block ensures there’s no traffic generated at all for the ads as it is not even downloaded, unlike some AD-Blockers who download the AD but prevent it from displaying on the screen.
In other words, jailbreaking/rooting is where it’s at and if they at all could, they would probably remove hosts from clients. Trouble is AD-blocking possibility is only the side effect of an old proven technology which is used in server rooms and small networks world wide.

Host file blocking only really works if the ads come from a third-party domain. If annoying ads are hosted on the same domain as the website one is trying to visit (believe it or not, that actually happens), the host file won’t help at all.

Of course, that doesn’t happen frequently. The majority of websites get their ads from Google, Taboola, Amazon, etc., which does indeed make them easy to block via host file.