Google security engineers: antivirus scanners pretty much useless

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Google security engineers: antivirus scanners pretty much useless[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2013/08/Malware-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Google’s senior security engineer Darren Bilby has stated virus scanners are pretty much useless and that the advice users receive on safe internet use is “horrible”. Bilby made his statements today during a presentation at the Kiwicon hacking conference in Wellington, New Zealand.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/google-security-engineers-antivirus-scanners-pretty-much-useless-80924/](http://www.myce.com/news/google-security-engineers-antivirus-scanners-pretty-much-useless-80924/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2784020]We’ve just posted the following news: Google security engineers: antivirus scanners pretty much useless[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2013/08/Malware-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/google-security-engineers-antivirus-scanners-pretty-much-useless-80924/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.[/QUOTE]A/V is only good as the user whom keeps them up to date or turns on Auto Update for them. Also he forgets the simplistic things to do.
  1. Password protect the Admin/Owner account-use for legit updates or installs only
  2. Make Limited User account for every usage this furthers harden the system from infections.
  3. Keep your A/V uptodate or make sure it is Auto Update.
  4. Last but not least “TURN ON” your Windows Update to Auto Update to further protect important system files.
  5. Make sure your extra software has their software updates updated-this alot don’t do.

Doing none of these things further opens you to attack - that includes IT that don’t keep their system up to date. This comes from experience cleaning out infections.

On antivirus products he Bilby stated, “antivirus does some useful things, but in reality it is more like a canary in the coal mine.
Better caught by the A/V then being a “BotNet or Zombie Lan”…

he stated about that, “We are giving people systems that are not safe for the internet and we are blaming the user.”
He forgets there is truth to this. Users themselves should learn about the internet this isn’t a babysitting club on the internet.

As an example he referred to the more than 300 vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash last year, he compared the strategy to patch those holes to “a car yard which sells vehicles that catch on fire every other week”.
Did he forget to mention Chrome also has holes as well and needs to be updated/patched on a ongoing bases?

@coolcolors
You have some good points here, but status quo your AV is basically a canary in a coalmine. As for botnets and zombie LANs, you would be way better off switching your firewall to default outbound ‘block’, set notifications to high and allow all programs you actually want to access internet, it is not ‘that’ much work. This latter approach would be much more pro-active and provide a greater degree of security than relying on a mostly signature based algorithm which may or may not stop it.

Of course… He works for Google :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2784027]@coolcolors
You have some good points here, but status quo your AV is basically a canary in a coalmine. As for botnets and zombie LANs, you would be way better off switching your firewall to default outbound ‘block’, set notifications to high and allow all programs you actually want to access internet, it is not ‘that’ much work. This latter approach would be much more pro-active and provide a greater degree of security than relying on a mostly signature based algorithm which may or may not stop it.

Of course… He works for Google :p[/QUOTE]
I doubt he will say bad things about Google… :flower: Whom by the way pays his paycheck… :bigsmile:

Those are simple first start but most just go gaga when they setup.

I actually had great success teaching people that using ‘Windows Firewall Control’ from Binisoft. While not free (one donation is needed for unlimited installs and change notifications from ‘none’), it took the guesswork out of it for ordinary users after I did the initial allows and blocks during a conversation on the subject.

I probably could be accused of doing a commercial, so be it. It simply let’s you control the Windows Firewall in a non-technical way. Not for absolute novices of course, but definitively makes it easier.

It has to be emphasized of course, I am in no way associated with the company :wink:

Xercus
What do you think of this Windows Firewall Control
http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html

[QUOTE=gonca;2784127]Xercus
http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html[/QUOTE]

A bit late with Win10 support, but it is a great product. What lets it down a little bit is the single install scheme and several price models when compared to Binisoft’s one-time $10 donation for unlimited installs.
However, the program has some benefits with presets blocking off the store and other bits for ordinary users which Binisoft WFC does not. Both of them offers free alternatives, but in my view, both needs a registration to be really usable.

Depending on mileage, pick a choice. They both control the Windows firewall. :iagree:

What I ultimately would love was a totally free alternative for the masses. After all we’re only talking about a non-technical way to make the built-in firewall more easy to configure for the ordinary user (even though Sphinx offers a tad more) :flower:

[QUOTE=gonca;2784127]Xercus
http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html[/QUOTE]
Windows firewall has no problem why use another software to do the same job? Counter productive. It’s the user that needs click control and doing their homework before clicking on something because it looks good. As the moto goes “looks too good to be true” is true for the internet as well.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2784137]Windows firewall has no problem why use another software to do the same job? Counter productive. It’s the user that needs click control and doing their homework before clicking on something because it looks good. As the moto goes “looks too good to be true” is true for the internet as well.[/QUOTE]
It’s a different shell for Windows Firewall, not an actual Firewall

[QUOTE=gonca;2784139]It’s a different shell for Windows Firewall, not an actual Firewall[/QUOTE]
Windows Firewall is pretty straight forward on how it controls the firewall. Windows Firewall isn’t that hard to get to or configure if one is willing to study it. One can search for help online and find how to configure the Windows Firewall for which O/S version your using.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2784145]Windows Firewall is pretty straight forward on how it controls the firewall. Windows Firewall isn’t that hard to get to or configure if one is willing to study it. One can search for help online and find how to configure the Windows Firewall for which O/S version your using.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, please, at least try to evaluate what I write :flower:
You are down to the core of it even with your reply. “One can search for help online” - and how many does? Do they ever search for anything which in our view is interesting? If we’re lucky it is a search about security…

In my world, it would mean simplifying on a genuine human to human level all the way from the top to the bottom. You know, I have always wondered why, when there are approximately 90% lamers out there, why they make equipment meant for the last ±10% at least in the private sphere.
These programs are both a step in the right direction in this respect, too bad they are not both totally free. We really ought to stop watching the show only from our own perspective as very few simple truths exists in this respect… They are all based on knowledge sadly.

In my case it is not that I can’t use Windows Firewall directly, I just want an easier way to access its features and if a desktop GUI helps me get to the most commonly used settings quickly and easily… so be it

Clarification you can find how to configure Windows Firewall by searching online…

example : Configure Windows Firewall by google

And it will give you links to MS site on how to get to and setup your firewall configuration without using another software to get to those settings. It’s a straight forward process that will help one learn more about the ins/outs of Windows Firewall that will give you a better grasp on how to do and make it work for your settings and needs.

Sorry for the late answer, but I have my hands full…

I really don’t think you’re addressing the real question in this respect and rather choose to reiterate your initial comment. Sure, anyone can have the facts if they choose to search, now do you in any and all occasions? Would you know how to?

That is really what I mean by ‘we have to stop watching the show only from our own perspective’, it is really not what it is all about :flower:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2784516]Sorry for the late answer, but I have my hands full…

I really don’t think you’re addressing the real question in this respect and rather choose to reiterate your initial comment. Sure, anyone can have the facts if they choose to search, now do you in any and all occasions? Would you know how to?

That is really what I mean by ‘we have to stop watching the show only from our own perspective’, it is really not what it is all about :flower:[/QUOTE]

Agreed, sometimes its not that we can’t, we might just want an easier way on occasion