Google search now warns Windows users of malware infection

Google search now warns Windows users of malware infection.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/07/iTdFZj.jpg[/newsimage]Google is trying to do it's part to warn computer owners that their system is infected with malware.  The search giant has started putting a message at the top of Google search results that clearly says, "Your computer appears to be infected."  Many folks are wondering if Google has some way of knowing information about the files on your computer but Google assures users that is in fact, not the case.  

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/google-search-now-warns-windows-users-of-malware-infection-48802/](http://www.myce.com/news/google-search-now-warns-windows-users-of-malware-infection-48802/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Although this may be good I’m not sure I like the idea of my system getting scanned for such infections automatically by google, if google can access your system to scan for infections without your permission it can also gather other info just like their street view system did or does.

Just my .02¢

@StormJumper I guess you didn’t read the piece carefully enough. Google isn’t scanning anyone’s computer, they can tell if a request is coming from a hijacked computer because they are receiving the request through a known malicious proxy server that is attempting to hijack the search results. I say bravo to Google for implementing the notification.

Yeah I seem to have over looked that :doh:

I haven’t received the warning yet . I have had some of the automatic " Virus" scanners try to run. I’m sure some of you have “hit " them to when going to a web site probably one in Google’s search list for asomething you are looking for information on. You know the ones that won’t let you stop them or close your browser.
I added a Task Manager icon to my task bar so I can access it quickly & “end task” the browser quickly if I get one of the automatic " Virus” scanners .

@ SJ , Would you elaborate more on the:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2597062] google can access your system to scan for infections without your permission it can also gather other info [B] just like their street view system did or does. [/B] [/QUOTE]
I ask because I have used the “street view” feature.

[QUOTE=cholla;2597072]I haven’t received the warning yet . I have had some of the automatic " Virus" scanners try to run. I’m sure some of you have “hit " them to when going to a web site probably one in Google’s search list for asomething you are looking for information on. You know the ones that won’t let you stop them or close your browser.
I added a Task Manager icon to my task bar so I can access it quickly & “end task” the browser quickly if I get one of the automatic " Virus” scanners .

@ SJ , Would you elaborate more on the:

I ask because I have used the “street view” feature.[/QUOTE]

You mean you have never read about them collecting personal data when the drove around taking pictures of streets and buildings through out the world.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2597079]You mean you have never read about them collecting personal data when the drove around taking pictures of streets and buildings through out the world.[/QUOTE]

I think this is the price we pay wanting to be connected to the net anywhere and anything. That’s just how technologies goes we have to live with the downsides of having technologies at our fingertips both good and bad and live with it.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2597083]I think this is the price we pay wanting to be connected to the net anywhere and anything. That’s just how technologies goes we have to live with the downsides of having technologies at our fingertips both good and bad and live with it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah tis the age of information with no real handle on security :frowning:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2597079]You mean you have never read about them collecting personal data when the drove around taking pictures of streets and buildings through out the world.[/QUOTE]
Of course I have SJ. I thought you meant that using this feature allowed Google to collect current data from my computer.
For what they collected then not much I can do about that. From what I can tell the ones of my house are 3 to 4 years old now.

[QUOTE=cholla;2597097]Of course I have SJ. I thought you meant that using this feature allowed Google to collect current data from my computer.
For what they collected then not much I can do about that. From what I can tell the ones of my house are 3 to 4 years old now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Google collected details of unsecured WiFi networks when they did the street surveys, including SSIDs, MAC addresses and some payload data.

This has nothing to do with using the system and I use it almost every day in work as it’s invaluable.

As far as I recall the data was independently certified as irrevocably deleted back in May some time.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks Wombler , That means they didn’t collect anything from me but a picture of my house.
Although I only use this feature occasionally I find it useful . I wish Google kept it & Google Earth images updated a lot better.