Google rolls out new version of Android KitKat already

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Google rolls out new version of Android KitKat already[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/12/Android-KitKat-Thumbnail.png[/newsimage]

New version of Android KitKat rolls out already

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/google-rolls-out-new-version-of-android-kitkat-already-69826/](http://www.myce.com/news/google-rolls-out-new-version-of-android-kitkat-already-69826/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

No 4.4.2 for me yet.

Too bad there isn’t a fix for the camera on the Nexus 7. :stuck_out_tongue: Image quality in it isn’t terribly good.

Yep. My Nexus 4 got the upgrade today…

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2712672]No 4.4.2 for me yet.

Too bad there isn’t a fix for the camera on the Nexus 7. :stuck_out_tongue: Image quality in it isn’t terribly good.[/QUOTE]

I haven’t even used the camera yet. :slight_smile:

I’d rather use a proper camera TBH and I never use the camera on my phone either.

The only extra change I’ve found in 4.4.2. so far is that the keyboard sounds have altered but I haven’t really had much chance to play with it yet.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Details of the changes are somewhat sketchy however

They sure are!

Waiting for my Motorola Droid to get the update but so far haven’t seen it update.

Android version 4.4.2 removes an important privacy feature. Beware about updating!

It removes a feature called “App Ops” which allowed you to selectively disable what permissions were granted to certain apps. There’s been a lot of controversy about it: (www.pcworld.com/article/2080241). The feature was hidden in 4.3 (but still accessible using 3rd party apps), and has now been removed entirely

Such a feature was very handy to rein in useful apps that did undesired behavior. For example, a Flashlight app that wanted access to your contacts, call log, and location info to sell to markers. Using App Ops you could revoke that permission.

That’s a bit disconcerting.

People will have to be more selective now as to what they install based on permissions but this is very far from ideal.

[B]Wombler[/B]

^Yes, the EFF wrote a fairly scathing article about them removing App Ops. Google claims it was experimental and only released by accident.

On another note, MX Player Pro is borked by the 4.4.x updates and users are flooding their site with complaints. Seems these developers run a version check, and the program breaks down every time there is even a minor Android update. Good program, but a bad policy.

[QUOTE=XStylus;2713190]Android version 4.4.2 removes an important privacy feature. Beware about updating!

It removes a feature called “App Ops” which allowed you to selectively disable what permissions were granted to certain apps. There’s been a lot of controversy about it: (www.pcworld.com/article/2080241). The feature was hidden in 4.3 (but still accessible using 3rd party apps), and has now been removed entirely

Such a feature was very handy to rein in useful apps that did undesired behavior. For example, a Flashlight app that wanted access to your contacts, call log, and location info to sell to markers. Using App Ops you could revoke that permission.[/QUOTE]

That doesn’t sound good but my search for it doesn’t install on my Android device or was prevented to not sure?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2713234]^Yes, the EFF wrote a fairly scathing article about them removing App Ops. Google claims it was experimental and only released by accident.

On another note, MX Player Pro is borked by the 4.4.x updates and users are flooding their site with complaints. Seems these developers run a version check, and the program breaks down every time there is even a minor Android update. Good program, but a bad policy.[/QUOTE]

hmm…I have MX player pro and mine doesn’t seem to show the borked features??