Google developer writes Amiga 500 emulator that runs in the browser

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Google developer writes Amiga 500 emulator that runs in the browser[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/12/myce-chrome-amiga-emulator-95x75.gif[/newsimage]

Google developer Christian Stefansen has released an Amiga emulator that runs directly in the browser. The emulator runs a Commodore Amiga 500 inside Chrome by using the Portable Native Client which is a sandbox for running compiled C and C++ code in the browser.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/google-developer-writes-amiga-500-emulator-that-runs-in-the-browser-78120/](http://www.myce.com/news/google-developer-writes-amiga-500-emulator-that-runs-in-the-browser-78120/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

You know it’s incredible how things have progressed.

This was once a state of the art games machine and now you can emulate it in a browser! :eek:

I was in the Atari ST camp though BTW. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2765127]I was in the Atari ST camp though BTW. :slight_smile:
[/QUOTE]

Never had to choose between Commodore 64 and Atari 500,as those devices were waaaayyyyyy out of my budget when I was a youngster…:sad:
And when I finally got the money,windows 98 SE was my 1st REAL encounter with personal computers…:bigsmile:
But while I’m in no doubt about the usability of the new Amiga 500 emulator browser plugin,I think it will be hard to beat Cloanto’s emulators,which made me familiar with the Amiga and Commodore 64 stuff :

http://www.c64forever.com/screenshots/desktop/
http://www.amigaforever.com/screenshots/desktop-4k/

And fairly priced…:bow:

Sneaking in while my wife is at the shop, I promised no more computing until after Christmas eve, but could not resist replying here of course … :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Wombler;2765127]You know it’s incredible how things have progressed.

This was once a state of the art games machine and now you can emulate it in a browser! :eek:

I was in the Atari ST camp though BTW. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

I used to use both, the ST mostly for writing music.
That once ‘state-of-the-art’ games machine with a MC68000 clocked at 7.14MHz should be no match to emulate for any modern computer in a browser, it surprises me they did not do it before.
I know that they must also emulate Angus, Paula and Denise, but even with a 1 GHz processor it all should be possible at full Amiga speed in a browser.

You are right though, it is nothing short of incredible how things have progressed, unbelieveable I would say (if I were not there to experience it all myself from what must be considered the start of the home computing market)

[QUOTE=roadworker;2765135]Never had to choose between Commodore 64 and Atari 500,as those devices were waaaayyyyyy out of my budget when I was a youngster…:sad:
And when I finally got the money,windows 98 SE was my 1st REAL encounter with personal computers…:bigsmile:
But while I’m in no doubt about the usability of the new Amiga 500 emulator browser plugin,I think it will be hard to beat Cloanto’s emulators,which made me familiar with the Amiga and Commodore 64 stuff :

http://www.c64forever.com/screenshots/desktop/
http://www.amigaforever.com/screenshots/desktop-4k/

And fairly priced…:bow:[/QUOTE]

Said what!? I cracked each and every game all my friends had as I simply could not afford buying any software at all. Every cent I had back then was spent buying hardware :confused: then again, I have owned the majority of ‘nostalgia’ home computers :iagree:

Yep, Cloanto’s offer has been my ‘go to’ since 2008. I have even supported them by buying the physical editions of each version r2’s and all:

They are soon to be joined by the new 2016 edition. A special note to make on the 2016 edition (since there is a download with the boxed editions) is that it is brand new and if you have both the Amiga and C64 forever, you will effectively have a Commodore Forever browser as both the C64 and Amiga games are accessible from the same console.

Whoopst gotta go…

[QUOTE=Xercus;2765171]
They are soon to be joined by the new 2016 edition. A special note to make on the 2016 edition (since there is a download with the boxed editions) is that it is brand new and if you have both the Amiga and C64 forever, you will effectively have a Commodore Forever browser as both the C64 and Amiga games are accessible from the same console.[/QUOTE]

I know…:wink:
Already running the 2016 version,as previous customers are noted 1st about new releases…:bigsmile:
So of course,I upgraded…(again :wink: )

UAE is good enough…

[QUOTE=chef;2765222]UAE is good enough…[/QUOTE]

I would say UAE is more than good enough, and it is free. This should be the 1st stop for anyone wanting to check out the great retro-gaming-machine.
Personally, I welcome any addition and will probably test the google browser version too. There is already one emulator running in the browser, the Scripted AmigaEmulator - even that based on UAE. Hopefully, the new version will be more accurate.

I did choose Cloanto to have legally licensed kickstart ROMs and the convenience of the extras provided.
As an old-time Amiga user, I would like to add that you really need a digital joystick for the best experience (one firebutton will do :p). Check out Wikipedia for more info.

Hmmm, in these days of joypads there may be many who simply do not know the old joystick at all and so for you here is a picture of my own self-built Amiga joystick with even the second button (it is hardly ever used)

That was all all it took to control games back then.
Still works almost 30 years later thanks to Retronic Design (sometimes it pays off keeping accessories through the years) :bigsmile:

IDK about anyone else, but I had trouble getting the mouse to work. Everytime I clicked inside of the VM, nothing happened. When I switched the VM to fullscreen (CTRL+SHIFT+F), and returned to normal (Escape), it suddenly worked. IDK what that was about, but if anyone else has that problem, try my solution. Also, you need Chrome to run the emulator, as Portable Native Client technology isn’t supported in other browsers. I also had problems running certain programs, the VM would sometimes either freeze or reboot itself. Other times, the window would just exit as soon as it started, no error messages. I don’t know much about Amiga, but I do know how sad it is to see an Amiga VM that can’t even run the Boing demo. After all, Boing is considered symbolic among Amiga users.

On an unrelated note, if you want even more old-school emulation fun, you should check out pcjs. You can emulate a number of computers, including the IBM PC and XT computers, in all their PC-DOS glory. Also, since these VMs are written entirely in JavaScript, they can run in any modern browser, therefore you don’t have to use Chrome. Unfortunately, there are no Amiga VMs, but you can still have fun with Windows 1.01. Be warned: the VMs make a PC Speaker beep, which can sound fairly loud on regular speakers. Therefore, it might be a good idea to [B]turn your system volume down[/B] before visiting.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2765171]Sneaking in while my wife is at the shop, I promised no more computing until after Christmas eve, but could not resist replying here of course … :slight_smile:

I used to use both, the ST mostly for writing music.
That once ‘state-of-the-art’ games machine with a MC68000 clocked at 7.14MHz should be no match to emulate for any modern computer in a browser, it surprises me they did not do it before.
I know that they must also emulate Angus, Paula and Denise, but even with a 1 GHz processor it all should be possible at full Amiga speed in a browser.

You are right though, it is nothing short of incredible how things have progressed, unbelieveable I would say (if I were not there to experience it all myself from what must be considered the start of the home computing market)

[/QUOTE]

In a way it also emphasises how underutilised a lot of this modern PC power is, as a lot of the time my PC is just running the desktop and a browser.

I reckon progress with PCs has an inbuilt redundancy anyway as even if they’re not replaced by alternative form factors such as tablets etc. it will get to the stage where they’re powerful enough to do any task the user could want and by that stage what’s the incentive to upgrade?

I think one of the significant steps will be when they can generate real-time on-the-fly genuinely photorealistic graphics. When that milestone is reached there’ll be no more advancement as far as graphics are concerned other than the creativity associated with how they’re used.

It’s always interesting to see things develop though. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2765265]IDK about anyone else, but I had trouble getting the mouse to work. Everytime I clicked inside of the VM, nothing happened. When I switched the VM to fullscreen (CTRL+SHIFT+F), and returned to normal (Escape), it suddenly worked. IDK what that was about, but if anyone else has that problem, try my solution. Also, you need Chrome to run the emulator, as Portable Native Client technology isn’t supported in other browsers. I also had problems running certain programs, the VM would sometimes either freeze or reboot itself. Other times, the window would just exit as soon as it started, no error messages. I don’t know much about Amiga, but I do know how sad it is to see an Amiga VM that can’t even run the Boing demo. After all, Boing is considered symbolic among Amiga users.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, this is still far from adequate… I got into the same shit as you considering mouse capture… and another yes, not being able to run Boing (it is more than symbolic, it is a dead retro beauty :bigsmile:) leaves this as a POS in the dust among other unfinished work. Nah, go for UAE, nothing wrong with a desktop app. So far, only Cloanto, can compete (head and tail ahead), but only in the convenience department…
search the net for unofficial versions of kickstart if you can not/do not want to pay, they are not too hard to find (you really only need the 1.2 or 1.3 version) - I must emphasize that I can not recommend the last solution though. :wink: