Google Chrome: User comments

vbimport

1. Need to be connected to the internet in order to install. (Something I dislike, I prefer installing programs offline as a security precaution.):frowning:

2. Installs size about 73 MBs on my PC. Installs to “Documents & Settings” folder on system drive, instead of “Program Files” folder. No user options are given during the install.:frowning:

3. Automatically imported all my bookmarks from Firefox 3.

4. UI is clean and simple, took me only a few minutes to figure out by hovering the mouse over everything.:slight_smile:

5. Subjectively, speed in loading pages seems about the same as Firefox 3.

6. Browsing with it during the past few hours, visiting my bookmarked sites and Chrome seems fine to me. I won’t be uninstalling it just yet.:smiley:

7. I guess CCleaner will need to be updated soon to add Chrome options.

It can’t match Opera’s speed on my machine but I appreciate yet another good product from Google.

[QUOTE=uSerKey;2121068]1. Need to be connected to the internet in order to install. (Something I dislike, I prefer installing programs offline as a security precaution.):frowning:

1. Installs size about 73 MBs on my PC. Installs to “Documents & Settings” folder on system drive, instead of “Program Files” folder. No user options are given during the install.:frowning:

2. Automatically imported all my bookmarks from Firefox 3.

3. UI is clean and simple, took me only a few minutes to figure out by hovering the mouse over everything.:slight_smile:

4. Subjectively, speed in loading pages seems about the same as Firefox 3.

5. Browsing with it during the past few hours, visiting my bookmarked sites and Chrome seems fine to me. I won’t be uninstalling it just yet.:smiley:

6. I guess CCleaner will need to be updated soon to add Chrome options.[/QUOTE]

I think 1 and 2 are going to be valid concerns that has yet to be addressed by Google. I don’t like importing my bookmarks sorry to say. I for one like to install offline as you mention and customize how it is installed. I want the free choice to decide how and what to install on my system for security cause of all the malware and rootkits and spyware that are out there now and sneak by. Sure there alot of computers out there but the internet isn’t on all computers yet…that is the problem…now if Google pays for those people then I say go going…but I doubt it…

I’ll probably install it on my test rack to check it out.

Until Google allow customization of the installation path, it will never be installed on my main systems.

My “C” partition is for my Operating System [B]only[/B].
All programs are installed on my “D” partition unless it’s a Microsoft application [B]without[/B] the option to choose the installation path.

Some interesting feedback so far…

Way too sparse for me.

Not even a [B]Home[/B] button on the interface.

This is one I can definitely do without.

Nemesys,

The “Home” button can be added via options.

Continued from my first post above:
8. Just opened task manager, I am running only one instance of Chrome with four tabs open but Task Manager shows two instances of “chrome.exe” using a total of about 64 MBs of memory–I don’t know if that is normal. Base priority is “Normal” but chrome.exe somehow manages to get a low PID despite being the last program I opened (other than Task Manager).

[QUOTE=Nemesys;2121352]Way too sparse for me.

Not even a [B]Home[/B] button on the interface.
.[/QUOTE]

I couldn’t find a “Stop” button option.

UTR,

Stop button is the “X” to the right of the URL window.
Note: It only appears when the page is not completely loaded. If the page has completed loading it disappears.

[QUOTE=uSerKey;2121432]UTR,

Stop button is the “X” to the right of the URL window.
Note: It only appears when the page is not completely loaded. If the page has completed loading it disappears.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I was looking for it when the page had loaded and hadn’t noticed it changing back and forth. It also has a problem with the edge scrolling on the Synaptics touchpad on my laptop. It will scroll down but not back up. It’s a minor problem but enough to drive me up a wall and make me not want to use it. It does seem to be pretty fast though.

Thanks for the info uSerKey,UTR,and everyone else. I’ve been reading this thread since it started just to see how well it runs.

I have yet to load it up. Cold feet i guess.

Firefox 3 will remain my default browser because I am comfortable with it and it has three Add Ons(plug-ins) I find useful. I am not sure the current version of Chrome has the answer for:

[B]AdBlock[/B] plugin, for less annoying browsing
[B]FlashGot[/B] plugin, for faster downloading
[B]FoxLingo[/B] Toolbar, for one-click translating of selected text or pages which choice of translator.

I tried the built-in Chrome downloader and it seems about the same speed and the Firefox built-in one.

I forgot to mention, I am connected to the Internet with a dial-up modem in a Samsung CDMA mobile phone–so my bandwith is painfully narrow and I am always looking for something faster to browse and download with.:smiley:

In the long run any of the open source browsers are going to benefit from more competition, as they will build on each others weakness. In my opinion I think that Google’s intention is not for soul domination in the larger picture, but it’s focus will be oriented to the small PC based applications like Handhelds,PDA’s and Cell Phones. Google just renewed it’s contract will Mozilla to have the Google search bar as the default search bar until Nov 2011.

:cool::cool:

quote uSerKey,

1. Subjectively, speed in loading pages seems about the same as Firefox 3.

After a bit more use Chrome does appear to load pages a bit faster. (Subjective assessment)

1. After going out of the house for a while and coming back to start the PC and do a bit more browsing I found that sites I had visited in the previous session do load faster than in Firefox 3. I have never noticed this behaviour with Firefox 3. (That is, sites which have been visited previously load more quickly thereafter.)

2. I went into the “DVD and CD Burner” sub-forum and viewed some threads with loads of screenshots posted. These threads tend to load slowly on my PC with Firefox 3, but there was a noticeable improvement using Chrome. (Still slow though due to my bandwith limitation.)

I will have to do a bit more testing with it, but I am willing to sacrifice the greater disc space used and the greater memory used by Chrome over Firefox 3–if it gives me noticeably more speed on the internet. Of course there are many other factors to consider as well in choice of a browser and I hope other CDF members will continue to post observations and comments here.:flower:

A screenshot of Task Manager with Google Chrome running, one window, one tab.

I have just performed a “Clear Browsing Data” and chose “Everything”, but the Google Chrome Directory is at 100 MBs now–up from the 73 MBs I reported in the OP.:frowning:
I just noticed there is a file in the Chrome “User Data” directory named “Safe Browsing” and in just the short time I have used Chrome this file has grown to 51 MBs in size.:eek:
The actual application directory is about 46 MBs in size and doesn’t appear to change.

This growth trend doesn’t look good.

[QUOTE=uSerKey;2121696]I have just performed a “Clear Browsing Data” and chose “Everything”, but the Google Chrome Directory is at 100 MBs now–up from the 73 MBs I reported in the OP.:frowning:
I just noticed there is a file in the Chrome “User Data” directory named “Safe Browsing” and in just the short time I have used Chrome this file has grown to 51 MBs in size.:eek:
The actual application directory is about 46 MBs in size and doesn’t appear to change.

This growth trend doesn’t look good.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they will clean that up in future releases. This may only be a temporary issue with this beta release, but still there are some valid privacy concerns.

Thanks [B]uSerKey[/B], for pointing out the location of the [B]Home[/B] button option. I was really bothered by the lack of that feature, so much so that I scoured the options at least ten times prior to posting and could not locate it. I guess we are all afflicted with temporary blindness, or selective recognition, from time to time.

I am, however, a bit fascinated by the [B]about: pages[/B] and opted to share this discovery with everyone.

Google Chrome’s Full List of Special about: Pages

The [B]about:internets[/B] command evokes the old Windows 95 pipes screensaver.

[QUOTE=uSerKey;2121546]A screenshot of Task Manager with Google Chrome running, one window, one tab.[/QUOTE]

Hmm…that´s kinda dramatically better than what I´m getting with FF3 (12 tabs open)…

Nemesys,

I guess we are all afflicted with temporary blindness, or selective recognition, from time to time.

Well said, I agree completely.:iagree:

I think I will put Chrome on the back burner for awhile until other apps like CCleaner and SpybotSD add support for it and to learn what other users are digging up on it.:wink:

Interesting reading on Chrome all over the net.

Here’s a quote about the EULA I didn’t and still haven’t read.:Z

Quote:It's worth noting that the EULA is largely unenforceable because the source code of Chrome is distributed under an open license. Users could simply download the source code, compile it themselves, and use it without having to agree to Google's EULA. The terms of the BSD license under which the source code is distributed are highly permissive and impose virtually no conditions or requirements on end users.

from here: