Google APAC: No access to legal downloads leads to piracy

vbimport

Google APAC: No access to legal downloads leads to piracy.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/10/lezdR3.jpg[/newsimage]The director of content partnerships of Google Asia Pacific, Gautam Anand has said the obvious, but  still good to hear it from a director of a technology giant. 

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/google-apac-no-access-to-legal-downloads-leads-to-piracy-64401/](http://www.myce.com/news/google-apac-no-access-to-legal-downloads-leads-to-piracy-64401/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I used to download (and burn to DVD) episodes of Sons of Anarchy for my uncle because the episodes it didn’t come to Canada until much later. As in the season started here just as it was finishing up in the US.

I call that stupidity. Why make people wait? People are impatient.

I used to go every Saturday to “Sam the Record Man” to buy records, tapes and eventually cd’s. Being in Canada I guess they felt that a special “import” price for most rap music was necessary. Not that the record companies themselves dinged me, but I was dinged usually $30-40 for an album. I used to have about 1000 records, and 600 cd’s…do the math.

Once Napster and limewire came around, you bet yer arse I downloaded music for free. In particular lots of music I had already bought on cassette or even vinyl.

Now this year I think I downloaded a few DJ mixes, and a dozen albums and they were all garbage with exception of a few songs. I’m glad I didn’t but this crap or I would have really been ticked.

Now I know I could go to some legit sites and listen to a clip before buying, but I’ve been turned to the dark side because of what I just said. (Also agree with what DukeNukem says)

Until downloads become punishable by death, I will always download for free.

“Until downloads become punishable by death, I will always download for free.” Don’t suggest it. I’m sure that the MPAA et al are working on getting this to be law depending who gets in after the Nov elections…

The Japanese Anime industry already figured out several years ago that making their videos immediately available worldwide increased their revenue irregardless of piracy. Streaming sites such as Crunchyroll, TheAnimeNetwork, Funimation, and Hulu make currently running licensed anime series available with subtitles in as little as 24 hours or less when they air in Japan. Subscription costs that are not much more than a dollar per week make it very attractive. Plus many of the same series are available at more than one streaming site.

Of course, fan-subbed anime will always be there since they do a better job of translation and provide higher quality video than the streaming sites. Plus there are many countries and languages that the streaming sites do not yet reach. But at least there are more choices now.

While more English language content is certainly being streamed shortly after airing many of these streaming sites want exclusive contracts for their content. This can make subscription costs higher if you have to subscribe to multiple sites. I see no way out of this problem as long as streaming sites feel this is the only way to attract new subscribers or charge a premium price in order to increase profits.

Here’s why nobody releases new TV shows until months (if not years) after they air: the owners of the TV channels want to force you to watch commercials. Really, that makes even less sense, since most people will most likely DVR the show, and fast-forward through the commercials. The world of piracy vs. legal purchases seems to make less sense everyday.

PS: DukeNukem, if you wish not to be executed in the dark of the night, you might want to try ivave.com. It’s both cheap (I believe it’s 5 American cents per song!) and legal.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2659997]I used to download (and burn to DVD) episodes of Sons of Anarchy for my uncle because the episodes it didn’t come to Canada until much later. As in the season started here just as it was finishing up in the US.

I call that stupidity. Why make people wait? People are impatient.[/QUOTE]

True. Similar thing happens in Australia, although in recent times more of the shows are being fast tracked from the US and shown here 24 hours after the US screening. The reason? Torrents.
I have noticed some American movies screen in Australia and the UK before they do in the US.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2660710]True. Similar thing happens in Australia, although in recent times more of the shows are being fast tracked from the US and shown here 24 hours after the US screening. The reason? Torrents.
I have noticed some American movies screen in Australia and the UK before they do in the US.[/QUOTE]

Piracy has a positive not just a negative but some people only wish to see the negative the demand for quality media is out there but it needs to be more readily accessible around the world.