Goodwill/ Salvation army stores good alternative to E-bay and other inflated prices

I found that I can get a lot of good deals on donated stuff. For example Blueray players, Record albums, old games., consoles,as well as decorative stuff, wall clocks etc… :grinning:

Same here. I got an LG WH16NS40 Blu-ray drive in a USB 3.0 external case for $10, and have paid similar amounts for a Sony Blu-ray player that’s new enough to still be on the shelf at Best Buy (and which was still signed into Netflix). Players often come without remotes, so whenever I see a Blu-ray remote at a thrift store I grab it. Thrift stores can be good sources for DVD blanks, including Verbatim dual-layers.
Things I’ve learned: be patient and persistent. Just because there’s nothing good in a store when you visit doesn’t mean there won’t be something awesome another time.
If something is in an unsealed box, check inside. It’s human nature to put the old thing into the box the replacement came in. That goes for spindles of blank media; sometimes it isn’t blank, or there are different types of disc on the same spindle.
Beware of missing parts that prevent you from testing or using a thing; they often cost more than you expect, and then you find the thing was broken anyway. On the other hand, sometimes a broken thing can be easily fixed (I got a nice Bluetooth speaker for $7 that just needed a working USB cable to charge it). A dead USB hard drive enclosure turned out to have a perfectly good 500 GB SATA drive inside.
Things can be shelved in the wrong department of the store; I found a “magic arm” with lobster claw clamp and a camera grip lurking in the miscellaneous hardware and tool bins. And a 12V-120V inverter in with the kitchen appliances.

Yeah!, that’s why I decided to try it. I used to think that some of the electronics didn’t work well.
But I was wrong. I noticed on E- Bay the same units being sold or bid on for inflated prices by the sellers.
So that’s why I think their a good alternative.

Hit the blank media jackpot yesterday at a Sally Anne. 10-pack of TDK 50GB BD-R for $2.99

1 Like

That’s a good deal. Glad you got a break.

1 Like

Well, first try at burning got made me a coaster (burned at 2X using BH14NS40). Good thing it was 30 cents, not $15.
The only error during writing was:
W 19:40:32 Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - Reason: Write Error
W 19:40:32 Retrying (1 of 20)…
but it completed writing OK, but when it came to verify:
E 21:10:43 CompareImageFileLayouts Failed! - Session Count Not Equal (1/0)
E 21:10:43 Verify Failed! - Reason: Layouts do not match.
The disk looks blank to Imgburn and to a Sony BDP-3700 Blu-ray player.

I’ll try again using the (thrift store) WH16NS40, at 4X.