Good video card upgrade

vbimport

What's a good video card for a computer with:

500mhz K6-2 processor
192mb ram

I have no AGP slots on my PC (its a compaq :Z ) so please recommed a PCI card. Thanx :bigsmile:

A Voodoo 3000 , or if you can find one , a voodoo 5000.

Probably the best pci vga card and still affordable. (You could go for an Appian or something , but that’s about 3000 dollars).

And YES a Voodoo WILL work in Windows XP , BUT not all games will work with it (For instance , Medal Of Honour : Allied Assault will horribly fail)

I suggest you buy a new processor (AMD K6 sucks). At the same time you will get an AGP slot because you will probably have to buy a new motherboard too and then you can buy my “Voodoo5 5500 AGP” for 10 bucks! - You can play MoHAA with it:cool:

what about the Verto Geforce 4 mx 420 64mb pci??? is it any good??? any other suggestions??? Thanks

It´s better than Voodoo3!

Originally posted by SchiZomaGORE
It´s better than Voodoo3!

why yes it is… but NOT on a K6-2 processor.

The 3dfx GPU handles more than the Nvidia GPU does.

why wouldnt it be better on a k6-2? what makes it perform less better on that particular processor?

Originally posted by pumpkinsflipsk8
why wouldnt it be better on a k6-2? what makes it perform less better on that particular processor?

As far as i’ve understand it the 3dfx GPU runs independently of the CPU , giving results directly to the output without communicating this with the CPU. (Glide protocol that is)

The Nvidia technology is more dependant on the CPU because it communicated back more to it.

This may have differ when using the GeForce 4 , since Nvidia bought almost all technology from 3dfx labs but i doubt that they have suddenly changed their roadmap and integrated the complete VSA-100 architecture.