Good storage drive

vbimport

I’m running out of room again and thought I’d pose a question to the forum regarding good choices in hard drives intended for data storage, particularly video storage.

Are there any significant differences for this particular purpose? I’m looking at 1, 1.5 or 2TB drives. I’m not tied to any brand, though the Samsung and Hitachi 1tb drives I’ve been using have worked without any issues for me.

Are the “Green” drives worth considering? Does rotation speed matter that much for a storage drive? Cache size, does it matter that much for this task? My Samsung 1tb with smaller cache does seem to be a bit more sluggish in real use, but it is on my secondary system now.

This WD 2TB at Newegg caught my eye: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136514
Will the 4k sectors cause problems in formatting with Win7?

Thanks for any info you may have.

Samsung F4 2TB, first because it’s cold, five hours of use on an external USB case and the temp is only 33C*, and when it was inside my pc it never went higher than 23C.
Second it’s fast enough for storage, first picture is from the Samsung, and second is from a WD black 1TB drive.

My vote goes for the samsung f4 :bigsmile:

*room temp is 26C

[QUOTE=vroom;2554806]Samsung F4 2TB, first because it’s cold, five hours of use on an external USB case and the temp is only 33C*, and when it was inside my pc it never went higher than 23C.
Second it’s fast enough for storage, first picture is from the Samsung, and second is from a WD black 1TB drive.

My vote goes for the samsung f4 :bigsmile:

*room temp is 26C[/QUOTE]

little slower than my F4 2TB :confused: ( JMB363 AHCI mode )
Post #27 my fastest F4 2TB ( my three F4 2TB read speed is 143 to 148 Max Crystaldiskmark 3.0 x64 / write speed don’t remember )

Yes but it’s faster than my WD Black, plus 120mb/sec is more than enough to handle HD video, and it should be fast enough for all kinds of storage.

All this on a Gigabyte P55A-UD4 motherboard with the latest intel drivers.

Green drives well that will depend how will you be watching video on the computer or sending it to a NAS or using your computer as NAS server? And from what I read on HDD the RPM matter most when playing games that load from the HDD itself where the speed would be utilized in game play. I have WD Black 2TB on separate controller as I used all my 6 ports already. It seems to take the GPI format as that what W7 wants to format it as and it has been working and watching videos from the HDD without much problem as I use it to store video as well. But beyond that I got that from Newegg as well but I will wait a year to see how well it performs but so far it is working.

Most Green drives are crap (they have crap performance compatibility issues) but feel free to get one.
4k cluster size isn’t an issue really, I would go for a Hitachi 2TB or a WD 2TB (non green).
Since its storage performance isn’t usually critical but it doesn’t be a sea slug in performance…
//Danne

If you want a drive to be installed in an external box, my suggestion is to get a 5400 rpm drive, because it will produce lesser heat. I killed a 7200 rpm drive because of overheating :doh: :o

As already pointed by others, for storage purposes only you don’t need a fast drive, only a reliable one.

According to specifications (that often are marketing crap only, but in this specific case is something you can consider), the Audio-Video series of Western Digital has an interesting feature: a higher resistance to heat.

According to specifications, A-V disks can work up to 70C, whereas the “Server” series (that theoretically should be the most intensive usage for a HDD), has a max operative temperature of 55C.

I don’t like really the Green Power feature of WD drives (the HDD I fried was a GP indeed :doh: ), but I got a WD20EARS and I had no issues at all with Windows 7 about the 4K sectors thing :slight_smile:

The only issue is that this disc was filled very quickly :bigsmile:

One caveat about drives that don’t have a 512 byte sector size:

Some disk imaging tools such as e.g. Acronis True Image cannot see filesystems on such drives when booted using their recovery tools, so you can end up in a situation where you cannot restore a disk image from a drive with e.g. 4k sectors.

If you intend to use your “storage drive” for storing such disk images, you should investigate if the software supports such drives, and finding that out can be quite difficult without actually testing it with such a drive.

I have external USB drives with sector sizes larger than 512 bytes, which is how I found this out. :doh:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I won’t be putting any system backups on this drive, but good to know the potential problem there Drage.

This will be an internal drive, so external enclosure issues aren’t going to affect me.

This drive will be used to store blu ray mostly, but it will also be a target drive for other encoding chores, so I’d rather it not be so slow it interferes in that process.

I think I’ll wait a few weeks before deciding anything. Black Friday is coming up and I’m going to see if a good deal pops up on one of the 2tb drives.

If you plan to use the drive as target to store encoded files, indeed you should get a fast drive or encoding times will be longer (something like having DMA disabled).

However, I suggest to keep stored data away from temporary files for at least two reasons.

First, if a drive must take data from a disk, process them, and then write again on the same disk (even if in a different partition), this will cause a higher mechanical stress on the drive, and operations will be slower.

Secondly, a highly stressed drive has a higher failure probability, so is better to keep data stored in a safer place.

My suggestion is to get a large (even if slow) drive for storage purposes only (a 5400 rpm drive can be used externally with no problems), and two small and fast drives (320GB are more than enough) to be used for encoding process. In this way is possible to reduce as much as possible mechanical stress and obtain the higher speed, because data are read from a disk, elaborated by CPU, and then written on a separate drive. One drive read only, and the other write only. This setup reduce as much as possible bottlenecks :slight_smile:

Of course, this solution is also more costly and cumbersome, mostly if in your case there is no space available for three more disks and for a fan blowing air directly over them (I always keep a fan over HDDs to avoid melting risks :bigsmile: )

Probably the fastest HDD at the moment is the Samsung F4 320GB.
This drive has a 667GB platter which is short stroked to 320GB, it also has a 7200rpm rotational speed. This would be an ideal drive for encoding, IMO.

For storage, I agree what others are saying. The Samsung 2TB F4 is still very fast for a 5400rpm drive, it’s also quiet and runs cool.

I have 2 Hitachi 2tb 7200RPM drives and use them for video storage along with a
Hitachi 1tb 7200RPM drive also used for video storage. I also have a WD Black 1tb
and a Seagate 1tb that are used for video storage also and the Hitachi 2tb drives are
quite a bit faster than the WD or Seagate 1tb drives except when it comes time to do
a defrag then they seem kind of slow on defragging. :frowning:

Here is a list of all my drives for now but the list will change soon after I get some more
2tb or maybe even some 3tb drives. :iagree:

Samsung F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM HDD on sale NewEgg[B] $79.99ea[/B] with [B]Free Shipping[/B]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152245

Thanks for the heads up Burnsama! One hard drive ordered. :slight_smile: