Good source for BD-R DLs 50 packs?

vbimport

I used to buy from Niko Neko Ya! which is unfortunately no longer in business. I have had bad experience with j-stop aka u-japan / japan-gift / jp-stop and a few other scammy aliases who sells manufacturer rejects on fleabay as authentic.
anyone had good experience with any other japanese stores which sell BD-Rs ? Im looking for 50 disk spindles, dont care about the price as long as they are good quality disks. Prefer Verbatim VBR260YPV1 marked spindles as they were the last batch i bought form niko neko ya which burned perfectly (not even one bad disk in a 50 spindle). i would prefer avoiding fleabay for obvious reasons.
edit: anyone tried these guys :
http://www.digistor.com/Blu-ray-Recordable-Media/50GB-BD-R/DIGISTOR-50GB-BD-R-Media-6X-100-pack

I’m pretty sure your theory about the sellers on ebay is incorrect. Japanese factories aren’t going to sell defective seconds or scrap out the back door. That sounds more like something shady factories in China would do. The sellers on ebay are buying the media at retail stores in Japan and selling it to people outside of Japan.

For example, the Verbatim BD-R DL media is ~$100 in Japan. It then gets resold in the US for a little more at Amazon.

its not a theory. i bought $300 worth of BDRs on ebay, none of them burned properly even once.
buying the exact same ones from nikoneko and I havent had a bad burn out of 400 BDR’s on the same drive. the fake ones have a slightly different media-ID but look visually identical to the genuine ones, including packaging.
thanks for the link - i will buy from amazon USA and pay the premium.

[QUOTE=zurk;2695828] I have had bad experience with j-stop aka u-japan / japan-gift / jp-stop and a few other scammy aliases who sells manufacturer rejects on fleabay as authentic.

edit: anyone tried these guys :
http://www.digistor.com/Blu-ray-Recordable-Media/50GB-BD-R/DIGISTOR-50GB-BD-R-Media-6X-100-pack[/QUOTE]

I bought from any of the above-named ebay sellers and I cannot confirm they are selling principally subprime discs.
I bought repacked discs and discs in original spindles from ebay sellers and principally there was no difference in quality.

I had a quality issue lately with some BD-R50 4x with TDK MID made in China, it was only one batch of discs and it seems to be overcome now.

The sealed original 50pcs spindle of Verbatim BD-R50 4x with panasonic MID is sold for 139 € at ebay.
If You manage to get it through customs without paying additional import taxes - it´s a gamble :bigsmile: - the price per disc isn´t above the usual of the repacked stuff.

Digistor BD-R50 6x have the mediacode CMCMAG DI6.
The quality is decent if You burn them on a Pioneer writer from BDR206 on with 6x.
I wouldn´t recommend them for older LG BH10LS30 or LiteOn writers with CLxx firmware.

[QUOTE=zurk;2695839]its not a theory. i bought $300 worth of BDRs on ebay, none of them burned properly even once.
buying the exact same ones from nikoneko and I havent had a bad burn out of 400 BDR’s on the same drive. the fake ones have a slightly different media-ID but look visually identical to the genuine ones, including packaging.
thanks for the link - i will buy from amazon USA and pay the premium.[/QUOTE]Just so you know some of the sellers on the Amazon marketplace are the same sellers that are on ebay. You could also use a package forwarding service in Japan and order directly from Amazon.co.jp or another Japanese retailer.

[QUOTE=zurk;2695828] I have had bad experience with j-stop aka u-japan / japan-gift / jp-stop and a few other scammy aliases who sells manufacturer rejects on fleabay as authentic. [/QUOTE]

Don´t count Your chickens before they´re hatched!:a

Now I´m having a bad experience of my own with j-stop aka u-japan aka jp-buy.

I had a bad batch of TDK BD-R50 4x printable, posted some scans of them here.

I complained about the bad quality to the seller and he asked me, how many bad discs I had and offered to replace them.
I understood he wanted to send the replacement discs with one of my frequent purchases.

So, I bought another 21 discs from him.

When the shipment arrived, there were no replacement discs included, and the 21st disc was missing.

I contacted the seller via ebay, which led me to open a case because of the missing 21st disc.

This is, what the seller responded:

"Hello xxx,

I apologize but if you want to resolve the problem with the discs please close the disputes on ebay because they are not accurate. We will respond to ebay disputes properly if you prefer to resolve by that way, we will authorize a return and you will have to return all the discs for a full refund.

If we offered to replace the failed discs you have to send it back to Japan first. We offered you to replace the discs when you have many of them because that way shipping will be reasonable sending 10 failed discs (example) compared to sending only 1 failed discs however this was a courtesy of us and you have to return them first

Please count the discs because one spindle contains 11 discs, we don’t usually miss the additional disc.
Regards…

If we missed the additional discs on the item # 310299275256 (20+1 TDK) we will ship it without problems but you cannot keep opening disputes the whole time, apologizes.
Regards.

• u-japan"

For the records:

I openend two cases at ebay a few weeks ago, because two of the sellers shipments were long overdue. I had to do that to observe the deadlines to keep my buyer protection covered.
I have closed the cases immediately as soon as I received the missing shipments behind shedule for weeks, so what?

If I hadn´t counted the discs accurately the day I received them, I wouldn´t have noticed the missing disc and there would be no reason for a complaint.

Am I the only one who has the feeling, the tone is getting harsher, when it comes to real problems?

So, will I have to beg for the quality and the number of discs I paid for or otherwise get scammed?
Or will I get scammed anyway here?

K, their tone is getting harsher, in my reading as well. And this is obviously because Disputes Hurt Them. Gee… they could solve those and THEN you’d remove them merrily, but this threat of “We won’t budge until you stop hurting us” is offensive. They’re the ones creating the situation - all you can do is respond.

Good luck to anyone using EBay. I had generally good experiences but the few bad ones soured me entirely. EBay did their best but I realized the risk of scammers was too great for my participation.

As for Zurk’s desire to find dependable suppliers, best of luck on that, too.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2697307]K, their tone is getting harsher, in my reading as well. And this is obviously because Disputes Hurt Them. Gee… they could solve those and THEN you’d remove them merrily, but this threat of “We won’t budge until you stop hurting us” is offensive. They’re the ones creating the situation - all you can do is respond.

Good luck to anyone using EBay. I had generally good experiences but the few bad ones soured me entirely. EBay did their best but I realized the risk of scammers was too great for my participation.

As for Zurk’s desire to find dependable suppliers, best of luck on that, too.[/QUOTE]

You got the heart of it, exactly.:iagree:

I had no such issues with other ebay sellers from japan, so I will stick to them.
You can hurt scammers even more, if You avoid them [B]and[/B] report about Your experience in public.:stuck_out_tongue:

Katraine - it might be worth drawing the seller’s attention to this thread and asking him/her to comment. A polite and helpful reply might mend some of the damage to their reputation - but a rude and unhelpful reply will warn off other members and lose him/her a lot more customers.

If You have a problem with the quality of the discs I sold You, send the discs back to Japan at Your own charge and hope for a replacement, maybe?

If the number of discs I sold You doesn´t match the number of discs I shipped to You, hope for a replacement, but first close the dispute at ebay?

Is that the solution, seriously?
In my eyes, that´s blackmailing.

I don´t want to rip off anybody, but the answers of the seller were not helpful in any way. Does he think, I´m an idiot? If not, don´t treat me that way!

Steve - on another excellent thread-post - points out that “24,000 purchases just can’t make them a regular scammer” but balances it by mentioning K’s good work here.

Sellers are not using their products. They too have a legitimate fear (and sadly, probably the actual experience) of being scammed, too, because they buy with Timely Profit Margin first and foremost in mind. And they’ll never know a product is ‘bad’ until end-users complain - until ENOUGH end-users complain. They will probably alway treat That First Dispute with great skepticism - “How do we know this user is a smart one or a dumb one?” They don’t.

If I’d suspected the First Dispute was a dumb user, trying to bully them will only result in one certain action: loss of future sales. I think I’d have tried a con-job on the First Dispute(s) by saying, “This is the first alert on this, and we’re researching it. We’ll be happy to solve this but it does impact our future biz to hear these early complaints posted as a Formal Dispute.”

Hint hint…

I mean, a Dispute User has the same choice anyway - to pull the dispute or not. The Bully Tactic Threat doesn’t remove that choice.

If someone’s given me a black-eye with a bad product, THEN threatened me with another black-eye - what’s anyone’s natural inclination? To give up and cowtow? And even if they DO, what chance will I have of gaining their future biz? “About Zero.”

I think it’s a poor choice of tactics. I don’t have the luxury of email Disputes, by the way. My customers are across the counter from me. I might know the Dumb Ones more readily, but it makes no differnce - I don’t want to exist on a 1-Sale-per-1-Customer. Repeat purchasers - dummies or not - is the way to have a better business future.

Katraine - you are right to be angry about responses like that. As Christine points out, they are not he way to encourage repeat business.

I still think it might be worth asking the supplier to comment here. It might help your dispute if they know an ill judged or rude reply will turn off the many readers of this site.

(Personal tale…)

We buy thousands of dollars of Epson printer ink - FROM EPSON. Gag! Sure, we get a hefty discount. We might get a better deal from our computer parts’ national distributors.

There have been times when we’ve been shorted by Epson, or sent wrong products - a warehouse ‘picker’ employee misreads small print - but Epson says, “Can you use those elsewhere? If so, don’t return them - we’ll just send you more of the right stuff.”

They’ve probably sent us $500 of retail replacements. We probably spent $5,000 in that same period of time. Their costs for those ‘retail’ are probably pennies, by the way. I’ll bet postage is more expensive than the replacement packages (ink-cartridges) inside.

What do they get? Us chatting up Epson Store. We have our customers buying from them, a few $100 purchases at a time - dozens of customers. A hundred or more perhaps.

They ain’t losin’ money by these ‘freebie’ errors. Heck, it probably costs more money to receive the boxes in, make sure they’re still in good condition and then re-stock their warehouse shelves all over again. “Keep 'em - do us all a favor…”

I´ve spent hundreds of bucks in the last few months buying blank discs from him, and there never was a problem.
Sometimes a shipment was delayed, but I always received them, sooner or later.

If I had opened a case at ebay to observe the deadlines to keep my buyer protection covered, I have closed it as soon as I got the shipment.
If he takes that as a personal insult, I can´t help it.

Maybe there was a misunderstanding, because english is not the native language for both of us.:rolleyes:

But I can´t stay calm when I pay for 21 discs and get only 20.
How shall I prove I´m right?
How shall he prove, he is right?
What interest should I have to make a fuss about one missing disc?
It´s the ignorance for my problem in his tone that annoys me.

Sending 20 discs back to Japan at my own charge and [I]perhaps[/I] getting my money back is no affordable solution for me.
I will close the case, if I get the missing disc.
He is able to ship it so I can receive it before the deadline expires.
Stop, full stop, finish!

I´ve decided to bring the email correspondence, which lead to this case, to the public. It´s unredacted, ecept for names:

Hallo u-japan,

I received this spindle of 5TDK/5Verbatim BD-R50 4x printable three days ago.

I burned a TDK with 4x on a LG BH10LS30 and scanned it with ODC on my LiteOn IHBS112, couldn´t believe the result was so bad.
Burned another one with the LiteOn 112 from another hard drive to rule out malfunction of HDD or writer and scanned it: Exactly the same bad result!

To rule out a malfunction of the LiteOn scanner I did a rescan of the same disc with a LiteOn iHBS312, but it doesn´t look any better.
Normally the LG BH10LS30 and the LiteOn iHBS112 fit well for this mediacode with 4x, so whats happened here?

I´m worried, because earlier scans of these TDK looked good and I´ve ordered lots of them from You hereafter.

I don´t know how to add scans to this message.
Therefore I´ve posted the scans discribed above at club.mice under TDK BD-R DL and ask for Your opinion what might have caused the problem.

My writers have the latest firmware and I didn´t burn faster than 4x!

Kind regards

[B]Reply:[/B]

Hello xxx,
probably a bad batch? TDK discs are the same as always. The Verbatim did not give you troubles? we will replace the discs. Clean your bluray lens when once in a while.

Regards.

Hallo u-japan,

I´ve tried to burn more TDK BD-R50 4x with different writers and systems now.

It looks like the “bad discs” are limited to a batch of 10 TDK out of
an order of 2x 5TDK/5Verbatim BD-R DL.
I could burn TDK DL from other orders/batches with results from
excellent to decent under the same circumstances.

Kind Regards

Hello xxx,

we can replace the discs but please keep the damaged discs because we will ask you to send them back. How many bad discs you have right now?

We will reship as soon as you reply.
Regards.

Hallo u-japan,

I have given away some of the bad burned discs to friends for testing
and scanning to make sure the fault isn´t in my system.
Besides, I am still testing more TDK BD-R50 4x from different batches
myself with mostly good results.
I can tell You soon how many damaged discs are left, when i have
recollected them.

I really appreciate Your service and want to keep costs for both of us
as low as posible.

I You want to combine the shipping of the replacement discs with one
of my frequent purchases, please let me know.

Kind Regards

Hallo xxx,

Thank you for your response xxx. We can include the replacement discs to your previous purchased but please let us know how many bad discs you have right now.

Best regards.

• u-japan

Hallo u-japan,

<I have six bad TDK discs right now.
<Please take care the package doesn´t become too big if You add the
replacement discs. There is often trouble with customs if You send
more than 2x20 or 1x25 discs in a package.

Thank You!

Kind Regards

[I]At that time, I was convinced the seller had shipped the replacement discs together with my last purchase of 21 TDK BD-R 50 4x printable.[/I]

When I got the shipment with only 20 discs included, I replied:

"Hello,

yesterday I received Your parcel with item number:310299275256. Your offer was: 20 TDK BD-R50 DL 4x + one disc free = 21 discs. The parcel included only 20 (2x10 discs), the 21st disc is missing.
You wrote me on Friday, 9 Aug 2013: "We will include your replacement discs in your previous purchased on us, however please collect all the failed disc and do not discard it because we will ask you to send the discs back to Japan."
There were no replacement discs included in the above named shipment. I´m a bit confused now. Did You send the replacement discs with another shipment? If not, You can add another TDK BD-R50 4x to the six discs You promised to replace, because I have 7 bad discs now, not included the missing disc from this shipment.
I tried to open a case HERE yesterday, but ebay has assigned my message to the wrong purchase! What a mess, it´s really annoying!
If we can´t find a solution soon, I´m done with buying discs from Japan. Kind regards"
You’ve requested:
A replacement item

If anyone is thinking, my tone is too harsh or too rude or my demands are too impertinent, please let me know.
It was not my intention, to escalate this, but regarding the sellers behaviour, I had no other choice.:frowning:

I’m also watching this katraine, maybe we can assist if this goes on too long. Helping you now would be good publicity for them, not holding their promise could mean bad publicity for them if it’s up to me :wink:

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2697483]I’m also watching this katraine, maybe we can assist if this goes on too long. Helping you now would be good publicity for them, not holding their promise could mean bad publicity for them if it’s up to me ;)[/QUOTE]
That’s good to know and you’re absolutely right about the publicity. Bad handling of this issue by the seller could make many readers of this site less likely to use them in the future.

What I don’t get it why enterprising retailers in Europe and the US haven’t imported these various hard to get discs from Japan and started selling them to the local markets.

Hello xxx,

I apologize but if you want to resolve the problem with the discs please close the disputes on ebay because they are not accurate. We will respond to ebay disputes properly if you prefer to resolve by that way, we will authorize a return and you will have to return all the discs for a full refund.

If we offered to replace the failed discs you have to send it back to Japan first. We offered you to replace the discs when you have many of them because that way shipping will be reasonable sending 10 failed discs (example) compared to sending only 1 failed discs however this was a courtesy of us and you have to return them first

Please count the discs because one spindle contains 11 discs, we don’t usually miss the additional disc.
Regards…

If we missed the additional discs on the item # 310299275256 (20+1 TDK) we will ship it without problems but you cannot keep opening disputes the whole time, apologizes.
Regards.

The buyer can return the discs for a full refund if it doesn’t match the description. For additional info or if something was wrong with shipment we strongly recommend to contact us first before opening disputes all the time. Regards.

My reply:

Now I understand what´s Your intention, so let´s keep to the missing disc here. I was led by ebay to contact You this way, and, believe me or not, I can count til twenty and farther and there was no 21st disc in Your package, so please don´t take that tone to me!
Why should I return the discs when It´s Your duty to send me the amount of discs I paid for???
It was not my intention to open a second case, but, as I told You before, ebay has assigned my message to the wrong item. So let´s try to stay friendly and find a satisfying solution.

The latest reply of the seller sounds again more polite and reasonable than before.
We´ll see if it´s real wisdom or only appeasement policy.:confused:

Hello xxx, our main intention is to offer the best service possible however mistakes can happen which don’t mean our intentions are dishonest especially with you that are a good customer of us for a long time already. About the returns, we are talking about the failed discs (not the missing discs) its our duty to send the missing discs at our expense, don’t worry about it. Please close the ebay case that you opened by mistake and let’s work on this case. If you have counted the discs and one is missing we will ship the additional discs immediately. About the failed discs that you are collecting we would like to exchange them but you need to send them back to us. Do you plan to send the failed discs back to us for exchanges. Please accept our apologizes for the inconveniences caused. Best regards.

The problem is now:

I am still waiting for the shipment of two items identical with the one I complained about from the same seller.

It wasn´t my intention to open a second case.
There was a problem with the ebay website worldwide that day, ebay has assigned my first message to the wrong purchase.
I am sure I chose the right item when I sent the message, but then I found it assigned to another purchase of the same item i made a few days later.
It sounds crazy, but it´s true, and its not the first time ebay messes with messages.:rolleyes:

So I had to open a second case for the right purchase.

If I close the case for the item I haven´t received yet and the shipment contains again only 20 discs instead of the 21 I paid for, I cannot reopen it :doh:, that´s the dilemma. Once bitten, twice shy.

And according to Murphy´s law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong!:frowning:

So I will have to wait a few days more and see if the other shipments are ok.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2697489]What I don’t get it why enterprising retailers in Europe and the US haven’t imported these various hard to get discs from Japan and started selling them to the local markets.[/QUOTE]

Three reasons:

Greed for profit
Greed for copyright charges
Greed for import taxes

Ebay is a “grey” market for blank discs, avoiding the above named in most cases.:wink: