Good sound card for digitizing tapes

vbimport

Hi guys.

Can anyone recommend a good sound card for digitizing my audio tapes? I heard the M-Audio Audiophile 192 is pretty good. Also is there a significant increase in quality when you use a sound card as opposed to the on-board ports on your motherboard?

Wow I’m surprised I haven’t got any replies! Help would be much appreciated.

[QUOTE=Duji;2175391]Hi guys.
Can anyone recommend a good sound card for digitizing my audio tapes? I heard the M-Audio Audiophile 192 is pretty good.[/QUOTE]That should be a fine card for what you want to do but maybe a little overkill for just transferring tapes…

[QUOTE=Duji;2175391] Also is there a significant increase in quality when you use a sound card as opposed to the on-board ports on your motherboard?[/QUOTE]Generally, yes…
Sound cards with DSP’s offload work from the CPU and will provide a superior signal if properly implemented…
Here’s a link to Newegg’s product page with Customer Reviews…
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829121008&Tpk=Audiophile%20192

Do you think I should get a sound card or is my on-board sound on my ASUS P5K SE/EPU good enough?

From ASUS website:
Realtek ALC 883 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
Coaxial / Optical S/PDIF out ports at back I/O
ASUS Noise Filter
Support Jack-Sensing, Enumeration, Multi-streaming

Is the sound quality capture for the M-Audio worth the extra cash?

You [I]may [I]notice a difference between various sound cards and MB audio chipsets during playback of a high quality source, but I highly doubt you notice any difference during the encoding process. This is all done via software using cpu power.

So you’re saying I might as well use my motherboard line in?

correct